PDA

View Full Version : Brake Shoe Size

F1Addict
08-30-2013, 12:18 PM
I'm sure this must be here, somewhere, but a forum search had not results. I'm trying to determine the brake shoe width on my '89 XJ without pulling the drums. I've been given the option of 1.75" or 2.5". Here's what I know about my Jeep:

D35 rear axle
Tow package not listed on build sheet but has factory hitch
Build sheet lists rear drums as: "BKPS 10x2.5 Rear Drum Brakes"

I know that last part makes it seem kind of obvious (10"x2.5") but not if there is a 10"x3" rear drum that takes the 2.5" shoes. Thanks in advance for your help.

F1Addict
08-30-2013, 11:46 PM
Never mind. I got the 2.5 inch. I'll let ya know if they fit.

4.3LXJ
08-31-2013, 09:50 AM
It is the most common

F1Addict
09-01-2013, 03:05 PM
Of course. The 2.5" rotors don't use the 2.5" shoes, that would be far too logical. They use the 1.75" shoes.

F1Addict
09-02-2013, 12:13 PM
This all started when I noticed my original driver's side front brake line was cracked and seeping brake fluid. My pads were low so I decided to replace them at the same time since I'd noticed a distinct pull to the left under braking. My rotors were in perfect condition with no discernible lip. When I pulled the brake line what looked like muddy, chunky water poured out. I am guessing that these brakes have never been overhauled and at least some of this fluid was poured in at the factory, 25 years ago.

I drained the entire system, pulled the master cylinder, cleaned the primary and secondary pistons (the primary has some chips in the aluminum piston but the seals looked good and the bore was perfectly smooth. I ran brake cleaner through all the hard lines until they flushed clear at the far end then reattached everything. I also installed new (1.75") shoes in the rear, new caliper seals, I rebuilt the rear brake cylinders with new seals and springs (One piston in each cylinder was seized and required ingenuity to remove), and I replaced the brake shoe springs. My drums were also in great shape, just a little glazing which I removed with some 150 grit sand paper.

All that's left is to bleed. My brakes have been not-so-great since I've had this Jeep (big surprise?) so I'm really hoping this makes them better.

4.3LXJ
09-02-2013, 01:09 PM
If you can find some ceramic pads and shoes that will help also

F1Addict
09-02-2013, 05:26 PM
If you can find some ceramic pads and shoes that will help also

I got ceramic pads (front) but ceramic shoes weren't available at my local store(s) so I was stuck with semi-metalic for the rear.

̶S̶a̶d̶l̶y̶,̶ ̶a̶f̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶a̶l̶l̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶,̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶r̶e̶'̶s̶ ̶l̶i̶t̶t̶l̶e̶ ̶i̶m̶p̶r̶o̶v̶e̶m̶e̶n̶t̶.̶ ̶ ̶T̶h̶e̶y̶ ̶s̶t̶i̶l̶l̶ ̶f̶e̶e̶l̶ ̶i̶n̶e̶f̶f̶e̶c̶t̶i̶v̶e̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶
̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶f̶i̶r̶s̶t̶ ̶5̶0̶%̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶p̶e̶d̶a̶l̶ ̶t̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶I̶ ̶s̶t̶i̶l̶l̶ ̶f̶i̶n̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶p̶e̶d̶a̶l̶ ̶a̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶f̶l̶o̶o̶r̶ ̶g̶o̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶d̶o̶w̶n̶ ̶
s̶t̶e̶e̶p̶ ̶h̶i̶l̶l̶s̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶h̶a̶v̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶r̶e̶l̶e̶a̶s̶e̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶r̶e̶a̶p̶p̶l̶y̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶b̶r̶a̶k̶e̶s̶.̶ ̶ ̶I̶ ̶k̶n̶o̶w̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶s̶o̶l̶u̶t̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶t̶o̶
̶g̶e̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶G̶C̶ ̶b̶r̶a̶k̶e̶ ̶b̶o̶o̶s̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶b̶r̶a̶i̶d̶e̶d̶ ̶l̶i̶n̶e̶s̶,̶ ̶I̶ ̶j̶u̶s̶t̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶a̶f̶f̶o̶r̶d̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶a̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶m̶o̶m̶e̶n̶t̶.̶
̶ ̶E̶s̶p̶e̶c̶i̶a̶l̶l̶y̶ ̶a̶f̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶a̶l̶l̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶m̶o̶n̶e̶y̶ ̶I̶ ̶j̶u̶s̶t̶ ̶s̶p̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶f̶i̶x̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶w̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶w̶a̶s̶ ̶b̶r̶o̶k̶e̶n̶.̶ ̶ ̶I̶'̶m̶ ̶g̶o̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶o̶
̶r̶e̶-̶b̶l̶e̶e̶d̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶a̶ ̶c̶o̶u̶p̶l̶e̶ ̶d̶a̶y̶s̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶h̶o̶p̶e̶f̶u̶l̶l̶y̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶w̶i̶l̶l̶ ̶h̶e̶l̶p̶.̶

All that whining and complaining about no improvement, I realized I hadn't done the auto-adjustment (forward and back ten times). I've now completed that task and he brakes like a champ. The first 10% of pedal travel produces noticeable stopping force and at 50% there's major stopping power, the pedal will no longer go to the floor and I'm able to actually achieve lock-up. Additionally, I now have brakes when reversing down a hill. Previously, even standing on the brakes, it would roll slowly backwards on a steep incline when in reverse or neutral. No more! Trust me, do that a couple times without a fresh pair of underwear and you learn your lesson.

The last thing on my list is to adjust my parking brake which now works very well but I have to pull it all the way up (14 clicks). My FSM says it should hold at 7 clicks.

Here are a couple pictures from the project...

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r34/F1Addict/Jeep/IMG_5603_4_5HDR_zps42d8e319.jpg
Basically stuck in this position for the past three days.

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r34/F1Addict/Jeep/IMG_5598_PB960_zps9e33ec9b.jpg
One corner done.

F1Addict
09-04-2013, 02:44 AM
I adjusted my parking brake this afternoon. I can't believe I've put off such a simple task for so long. I've always had to pull the handle all the way up to engage the parking brake and even that would only barely hold when pointed downhill and wouldn't hold at all if pointed uphill, it would just roll backwards as if there were no parking brake applied.

It took about 15 minutes (mostly because I didn't know what I was doing, at first) to adjust. I just jacked up the rear axle so the wheels were off the ground and tightened the cable until I felt friction when turning the wheels, then I backed it off one full turn to prevent brake drag. I tested it on the driveway (which is a 19.5ยบ incline) and it holds ferociously up and down and the lever is only half-way up. Stupid thing to be excited about, but I am!