PDA

View Full Version : Need help with push rod replacement

Andrew XJ
08-29-2013, 08:49 PM
can anybody help me find a video or post a video or link that shows how to replace the 4.0 push rods without having to remove the head I do not know if this is possible but I'm really trying not to remove the head I greatly appreciate it thanks.

4.3LXJ
08-29-2013, 09:26 PM
Rule of thumb for push rods is to remove the rockers. They will be sticking up through the head. Then just grab them and remove

Andrew XJ
08-29-2013, 09:55 PM
alright thanks, would you happen to know the torque spec for the rocker arm bolts

4.3LXJ
08-29-2013, 10:15 PM
19 ft lbs, 26 nm

dagod16
09-01-2013, 09:29 PM
Is this something we should do after 200k
Also I think u need to replave all of them at once

4.3LXJ
09-01-2013, 10:26 PM
I think you would do better to replace the lifters rather than worry about the push rods. It is the lifters that catch hell off the cam and wear on the holes in the block etc

Andrew XJ
09-01-2013, 11:02 PM
eventually it's all getting replaced I'm trying to make a decent performance motor. but its gonna have to wait just a little while to my next paycheck. the bad thing is it is ticking a little more it went from not being driven in two years to having 400 miles a week put on the motor. luckily the motor only has 163,481 miles on it, not too bad for a 99.

4.3LXJ
09-01-2013, 11:45 PM
Personally I wouldn't worry about the push rods. It is probably the lifters you hear

Andrew XJ
09-02-2013, 02:15 AM
to be honest I don't know what it is you're probably right but I do know its getting worse

Dredwolf
09-02-2013, 08:00 AM
You could try a different weight of oil at the next oil change, and see if the noise lessens. Is the noise constant, or when cold, or when hot?

And when you have a motor that has sat for a long period, then you start using it a lot, I usually change the oil 2-3 times a month before settling into a "normal" oil change schedule (schedule depends on use, of course.)

Don't completely discount oil additives either.

Some actually do half of what they claim. ;)

Andrew XJ
09-02-2013, 10:18 AM
You could try a different weight of oil at the next oil change, and see if the noise lessens. Is the noise constant, or when cold, or when hot?

And when you have a motor that has sat for a long period, then you start using it a lot, I usually change the oil 2-3 times a month before settling into a "normal" oil change schedule (schedule depends on use, of course.)

Don't completely discount oil additives either.

Some actually do half of what they claim. ;)

the noise is constant but got slightly worse after I started driving on the highway a lot when I put my lift on it this week I'm going to pull the valve cover cause it needs a gasket anyway and check my rockers bolt tightness.

Mudderoy
09-02-2013, 10:26 AM
I think you would do better to replace the lifters rather than worry about the push rods. It is the lifters that catch hell off the cam and wear on the holes in the block etc

And replacing the lifters require a break in procedure don't they? I know mine did with the new CAM and lifters.

4.3LXJ
09-02-2013, 10:28 AM
Yes, they do. And break in oil during that period