PDA

View Full Version : Question about Coolant Warning Light 95 XJ

EricT93
08-28-2013, 12:31 PM
Hey everybody, my buddy just bought a 95 XJ with a coolant light instead of a gauge. When you turn the key to the on/run position (without cranking) the brake, battery, and oil light come on for a second. Is the coolant warning light supposed to come aswell?

P.S. We do plan on installing a water temp gauge in the near future.

4.3LXJ
08-28-2013, 02:58 PM
That is a good question Eric. I honestly don't know. Most of us get rid of the idiot lights as soon as we can. Anybody?

XJ Wheeler
08-28-2013, 03:03 PM
I'm at a loss as well. My brothers use to have the idiot lights but i honestly never paid attention to his. :p All i can say is its an easy swap to an original full gauge cluster in his jeep.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

F1Addict
08-28-2013, 03:15 PM
I'm at a loss as well. I had the idiot lights for a few months prior to switching to the full gauge cluster but can't remember if the coolant temp light came on, pre-crank. I'll check my owner's manual when I get back to my Jeep and see if it says.

abebehrmann
08-28-2013, 03:46 PM
I unfortunately still have the idiot lights. I will check when I get off work.

Mudderoy
08-28-2013, 04:04 PM
The Engine Temperature Sending Unit is the sensor that turns on the Temp Light. The sensor is at the rear of the engine next to valve cover. An easy way to check the sensor is to remove the connector at the sensor. Turn the key so the other lights come on. Then touch the connector pin to ground. You will probably need a paper clip or small wire. The light should turn on. If not...bad bulb or bad sensor. If the light does turn on, the sensor is bad. On my 96 Cherokee it was the sensor.

:link: (http://www.automotiveforums.com/t502240-temp_light_test_1996_cherokee_4_0l.html)

EricT93
08-28-2013, 04:43 PM
I unfortunately still have the idiot lights. I will check when I get off work.
Tuned in! Thanks :)

:link: (http://www.automotiveforums.com/t502240-temp_light_test_1996_cherokee_4_0l.html)

So based on this, is the light supposed to come on when the others do? I'll definitely test it!

abebehrmann
08-28-2013, 06:00 PM
looks like it should come on.

EricT93
08-28-2013, 06:09 PM
thanks for checking brother!

F1Addict
08-29-2013, 12:26 AM

Unfortunately, that cluster is completely different than a '95 and may not work the same. I checked the manual and it doesn't say what lights illuminate. Hopefully someone with a pre-'97 XJ who still has idiot lights can check. Actually, I think I know someone. I'll ask her.

Mudderoy
08-29-2013, 05:01 AM

Man I don't know if I'd like the fuel gauge being that big, taunting me... :flameon:

EricT93
08-29-2013, 08:39 AM
Unfortunately, that cluster is completely different than a '95 and may not work the same. I checked the manual and it doesn't say what lights illuminate. Hopefully someone with a pre-'97 XJ who still has idiot lights can check. Actually, I think I know someone. I'll ask her.

Thanks for your initial response, tuned in your your reply!

F1Addict
08-29-2013, 05:06 PM
Me: Hey, when you turn your key to the "ON" position, before you start the engine, does the coolant temp warning light come on?

Her: What??

Me: When you turn the key on a bunch of lights come on on the dash. One (I think) is oil pressure, another is battery, and one is (maybe) coolant temperature (looks like a little flag floating in water). I just need to know if the coolant temperature light illuminates when you turn the key to "ON".

Her: I don't understand what you're asking.

Her: You mean on the microwave?

Me: So anyway, never mind :bang:

F1Addict
08-29-2013, 05:50 PM
I've confirmed! The coolant temp light does not come on with the other warning lights prior to crank.

4.3LXJ
08-29-2013, 07:39 PM
That really kind of makes sense considering how they work. The alternator light stops when current from the alternator cancels the battery current. The oil light stops when there is oil pressure. But the coolant light should only work when it is too hot.

EricT93
08-29-2013, 08:00 PM
thanks so much for checking! your post made me laugh.

Mudderoy
08-31-2013, 09:57 AM
That really kind of makes sense considering how they work. The alternator light stops when current from the alternator cancels the battery current. The oil light stops when there is oil pressure. But the coolant light should only work when it is too hot.

I think all the lights should come on for a few seconds just so you know they work! :rolleye0012:

4.3LXJ
08-31-2013, 10:44 AM
You are supposed to wait for the steam so you know the temp light works :D