PDA

View Full Version : Carpet or no carpet that is the question?

reddragon72
08-28-2013, 09:09 AM
So I've been without carpet for 5 years now. For those in the Houston area you know that it can get down right brutal on the freeways with the traffic and all.

Right now I am sporting 7 floor mats in my Jeep to help keep the heat down a bit as well as the noise but those only go so far.

So I have been looking at buying the padding and the carpet to put back into my rig. What I'm looking for is pro's and cons an alternatives.

Pros:
helps tons with heat and the cold.
helps us old folk by padding our sore tired feet from the vibrations
looks nice
keep noise down
hold the smelly good stuff at car washed better

cons:
gets dirty
gets wet
molds if not dried
pain to keep clean

Alts: how good is the alt compared to carpet?
rubber matting?? from where and what? Dynamat?
truck bed liner
floor mats lol
Lizardskin about the same as carpet!!! but will it stand up to off road abuse?

lets see idea's and suggestions with why you picked it and what's your experience been like.

no flaming as this is just me gathering idea's on what to do for the floor.

Mudderoy
08-28-2013, 09:34 AM
So I've been without carpet for 5 years now. For those in the Houston area you know that it can get down right brutal on the freeways with the traffic and all.

Right now I am sporting 7 floor mats in my Jeep to help keep the heat down a bit as well as the noise but those only go so far.

So I have been looking at buying the padding and the carpet to put back into my rig. What I'm looking for is pro's and cons an alternatives.

Pros:
helps tons with heat and the cold.
helps us old folk by padding our sore tired feet from the vibrations
looks nice
keep noise down
hold the smelly good stuff at car washed better

cons:
gets dirty
gets wet
molds if not dried
pain to keep clean

Alts: how good is the alt compared to carpet?
rubber matting?? from where and what?
truck bed liner
floor mats lol

lets see idea's and suggestions with why you picked it and what's your experience been like.

no flaming as this is just me gathering idea's on what to do for the floor.

I forget what it is called but they use something on "Trucks" to protect from the heat and I think it knocks down the noise as well. Some kind of sticky backed insulation. Put in a few drain plugs and then cover it with something removable that you can cut and shape with a heat gun.

4.3LXJ
08-28-2013, 09:37 AM
Summit Racing has several products available for this purpose. But it ain't cheap. The most cost effective would be to get the carpet and pad. Or you could combine them

Brasscatz
08-28-2013, 09:46 AM
Never worry about being flamed on this forum, buddy. Our only rule is to be respectful to everybody. You may see friends giving each other a hard time, but it's always in good spirits.

Now on to suggestions. The previous owner cut the carpet out of the driver's side of my jeep, and that floor gets HOT. I have a rubber floor mat and the bottom of it has melted a bit. The thing I've always wanted to do is take out all my carpet, put a heat resistant material down, put dynamat sound deadening material down and cover it all with a rubber/vinyl molded material possibly like you would find in a base model work truck. I think this would give the best protection from heat, sound and be easy to clean. As far as brands, other than dynamat I haven't done enough research to find exactly what I want to use.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 because my microwave couldn't do it

gary63
08-28-2013, 09:54 AM
First clean and remove any rust. Then seal it with paint or bedliner then put down a pad that is mold and or water proof samples (Dynamat Dynaliner ,Lizard Skin) them use marine carpet and scotch guard it .

reddragon72
08-28-2013, 10:02 AM
I added a couple

Dynomat and Lizardskin.....

I am liking the lizardskin idea but I wander how well it will hold up to a twisting unibody. They say for use in work trucks and RV's and both twist and contort so it must be able to withstand it...

http://www.lizardskin.com/car-ceramic-insulation.html can be had on Ebay for 90 bucks

thoughts?

gary63
08-28-2013, 10:29 AM
Will I have it in my power wagon floor and sides and doors also put it on the inside of a canopy and they twist alot . But you spray or brush it on so you can get it into places you can't get pads. When I do my Cherokee I will be putting it down and a pad.

reddragon72
08-28-2013, 10:57 AM
Will I have it in my power wagon floor and sides and doors also put it on the inside of a canopy and they twist alot . But you spray or brush it on so you can get it into places you can't get pads. When I do my Cherokee I will be putting it down and a pad.

So you can brush it on... I thought it was spray on only.. shoot I am thinking roll it on and brush it into the areas the roller can't touch. But I am really thinking that lizard skin ceramic and floor mats are the way to go.

gary63
08-28-2013, 11:15 AM
I have use a brush and worked in to holes and seems.

graverobberjk
08-28-2013, 11:41 AM
im actually looking into doing the truck bedliner spray on the floor of mine, its easy to do and the kits dont really cost a whole lot at the auto parts stores. With how unpredictable the weather is around here, I have been caught with my top off more than once and the smell while the carpet is drying out is bad lol

EricT93
08-28-2013, 11:42 AM
I myself am a resident Houstonian and wouldn't even consider taking the carpet out. Just my 2 Cents :)

graverobberjk
08-28-2013, 01:01 PM
I still roll with carpet on mine but around here a lot of people get rid of that with a quickness and bed line the tub and im in central texas....I guess I will just take the leap and experience it for myself lol

nickyg
08-28-2013, 01:19 PM
I often thought about bed liner. I like the thought cleaning out to my jeep with a garden hose.

reddragon72
08-28-2013, 01:42 PM
So after looking around a bit I have come to the conclusion that the lizard skin ceramic with a urethane top coat seems to hold up extremely well. Plus a lot have said it really cuts down on the heat.

The bed liner just doesn't help with heat as I have been in a few rigs with bed liner and it's as hot as mine with bare floors.

Once the funds are in I'll be ordering a bucket and trying it out.

graverobberjk
08-28-2013, 01:45 PM
So after looking around a bit I have come to the conclusion that the lizard skin ceramic with a urethane top coat seems to hold up extremely well. Plus a lot have said it really cuts down on the heat.

The bed liner just doesn't help with heat as I have been in a few rigs with bed liner and it's as hot as mine with bare floors.

Once the funds are in I'll be ordering a bucket and trying it out.

I will look into that myself, be sure to post how you like it

Brasscatz
08-28-2013, 07:10 PM
Just came across this, thought you may be interested
http://www.jeep4x4center.com/jeep-carpets/acc-vinyl-flooring-cherokee.htm

Brasscatz
08-28-2013, 07:18 PM
Or even better ;) http://www.auto-interior.com/jeep1.htm#Cherokee

Brasscatz
08-28-2013, 07:20 PM
Padding here http://www.stockinteriors.com/items.asp?MakeId=14&ModelId=248&MainCatId=3&Desc=Jeep_Cherokee_Padding

reddragon72
08-30-2013, 11:17 AM
Just came across this, thought you may be interested
http://www.jeep4x4center.com/jeep-carpets/acc-vinyl-flooring-cherokee.htm

Or even better ;) http://www.auto-interior.com/jeep1.htm#Cherokee

Padding here http://www.stockinteriors.com/items.asp?MakeId=14&ModelId=248&MainCatId=3&Desc=Jeep_Cherokee_Padding

Man that stuff is expensive!! I think I'll go with the Lizardskin as it is only 80 bucks and it'll do the whole interior.

Thanks for that though because if the lizardskin doesn't hold up then I'll be looking for something else.

prcjeep
08-30-2013, 11:48 AM
Ive never wanted to take the carpets out.... always figure too much work to pull out and go another route.... mines been flooded plenty of times and i vacuum it out and let it dry and no smell/mold

Now....in the last week, my windshiield has decided to leak on me and my front passenger floorboard was 2 inches deep in water and it has taken all week to dry out since the last rain... i MIGHT be pulling my carpet to clean restore and replace, but make it somehwat simple to remove for drainage in the future