PDA

View Full Version : Need an engine replacement

krashhazard
08-28-2013, 02:48 AM
I'm looking to replace my engine. I'm hoping for a new engine entirely because I don't want to have to deal with how another owner treated their jeep. I'm needing to replace my engine because of this already. I bought my jeep used and the previous owner obviously ran water straight out of the hose in the cooling system and all the pipes are rusted inside the now blown engine. Do you guys know where I can purchase an engine online? I'm hoping to get something a little better than OEM. Like a 4.7 stroker or something. What are your suggestions?

Mudderoy
08-28-2013, 03:02 AM
I'm looking to replace my engine. I'm hoping for a new engine entirely because I don't want to have to deal with how another owner treated their jeep. I'm needing to replace my engine because of this already. I bought my jeep used and the previous owner obviously ran water straight out of the hose in the cooling system and all the pipes are rusted inside the now blown engine. Do you guys know where I can purchase an engine online? I'm hoping to get something a little better than OEM. Like a 4.7 strikes or something. What are your suggestions?

A stroker doesn't seem to be a good price/performance upgrade. I purchased a 1995 engine and Matt and I (mostly Matt) rebuilt it. It's about 75% new. Block, crank, head work all done by a shop. Really only the block, crank, rods, head are used, everything else was new, including the flexplate! :D

It was bored .060 over and I purchased a Crane cam for it.

I'd also have a look at the BrownDog motor mounts. It would be a shame to have a new engine then break off the bosses that hold it to the unibody.

krashhazard
08-28-2013, 03:07 AM
I appreciate the suggestion, but my problem is I'm currently deployed to Afghanistan and can't do all that work, my plan was to buy a new engine and have my dad put it in. But I'm definitely going to take your advice on the engine mounts. I just don't want my dad to have to jump through hoops lugging engine parts to machinists and having to wait on me transferring him money for all of that due process.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Mudderoy
08-28-2013, 03:13 AM
I appreciate the suggestion, but my problem is I'm currently deployed to Afghanistan and can't do all that work, my plan was to buy a new engine and have my dad put it in. But I'm definitely going to take your advice on the engine mounts. I just don't want my dad to have to jump through hoops lugging engine parts to machinists and having to wait on me transferring him money for all of that due process.

Hey thanks for your service, and be safe!

Yeah I see the problem. I bought my pistons from a place called Titan Engines. Spoke with a technical guy over there, he seemed pretty sharp. He's running a 4.0L in his TJ Wrangler that's bored .120 over! I was a little concerned about the .060 over on mine. Anyway they build complete engines there. Now I have read some poor reviews, but I think it might be worth researching them and perhaps you'll find they are a good choice. Oh and they do sell strokers... http://titanengines.com/titan-forged-4-6-4-7-jeep-stroker-engine-265-horsepower-295-ft-lbs-of-torque.html $3,245.00

krashhazard
08-28-2013, 03:16 AM
Hey thanks for your service, and be safe!

Yeah I see the problem. I bought my pistons from a place called Titan Engines. Spoke with a technical guy over there, he seemed pretty sharp. He's running a 4.0L in his TJ Wrangler that's bored .120 over! I was a little concerned about the .060 over on mine. Anyway they build complete engines there. Now I have read some poor reviews, but I think it might be worth researching them and perhaps you'll find they are a good choice. Oh and they do sell strokers... http://titanengines.com/titan-forged-4-6-4-7-jeep-stroker-engine-265-horsepower-295-ft-lbs-of-torque.html

Awesome I appreciate the help. Now, I'm quite new to the mechanic world, and the army doesn't teach anything special about mechanical, we really are only parts replacers. So can you tell me the difference between a stroker and a not stroker engine?

Mudderoy
08-28-2013, 03:23 AM
Awesome I appreciate the help. Now, I'm quite new to the mechanic world, and the army doesn't teach anything special about mechanical, we really are only parts replacers. So can you tell me the difference between a stroker and a not stroker engine?

I forget the specifics, but basically it's a 4.0L with a crankshaft out of a different AMC engine. The stroke is longer, so basically the pistons move further down the cylinder giving you a larger volume between the piston top and the head. More volume = more displacement = more horse power.

That's how it goes from a 4.0L (242cc) to a 4.6 or 4.7L. When the cylinder is bored your volume increases as well. Since mine is .060 over I have something like a 4.2L now but mine isn't stroked, in other words I have a crankshaft that was made for a 4.0L engine.

krashhazard
08-28-2013, 03:25 AM
I forget the specifics, but basically it's a 4.0L with a crankshaft out of a different AMC engine. The stroke is longer, so basically the pistons move further down the cylinder giving you a larger volume between the piston top and the head. More volume = more displacement = more horse power.

That's how it goes from a 4.0L (242cc) to a 4.6 or 4.7L. When the cylinder is bored your volume increases as well. Since mine is .060 over I have something like a 4.2L now but mine isn't stroked, in other words I have a crankshaft that was made for a 4.0L engine.

Ah ok I understand. That also explains the better torque. So this engine will fit into my 99 without any modifications needed?

Mudderoy
08-28-2013, 08:35 AM
Ah ok I understand. That also explains the better torque. So this engine will fit into my 99 without any modifications needed?

Looking at it from the outside it looks identical to a 4.0l All the changes are in the inside. If there was a 4.0 in there before then this engine will be exactly the same dimensions.

Keep in mind there is still a lot of work to be done. Covers, intake, exhaust, sensors. You may have to block off the sensor port on the back of the head if the donor head was a pre 97, etc... Oh flexplate, etc... it will still be very involved.

XJ Wheeler
08-28-2013, 03:07 PM
Golen makes some strokers for these as well.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.