PDA

View Full Version : Centering the steering?

Dredwolf
08-26-2013, 11:19 AM
With all of the front suspension mods, I know I need an alignment when its done, already have the shop picked out to do it.

But, the steering wheel is almost a full half turn off-center, and I need some additional opinions.

I can use the drag link and adjust the steering wheel to center, BUT, does a '99 XJ have centering marks on the steering wheel and shaft to align with also?:confused:

I have not pulled the center cover yet, I need to make sure the airbag circuit is disabled first. If it has centering marks, should I align those first, then use the drag link? I have a ZJ tie rod, and just added Andy's track bar and bracket, new coils are in also, along with new sway bar disconnects.

The goal is to get the XJ "tape measure aligned" before I drive it the 20+ miles to the alignment shop.

4.3LXJ
08-26-2013, 11:39 AM
Set your rough tow in first. If the tow in is badly towed in, this will bring it back a little. Then adjust the steering wheel position. Or you can let the alignment people do it. Don't pull the wheel and re clock it

Dredwolf
08-26-2013, 12:06 PM
I've got to double-check the lenghts on the upper and lower control arms now, its been so long since I installed the new RE coils. After I check those, I'll set the toe-in with a tape measure, and go from there.

cantab27
08-26-2013, 12:47 PM
easy to re centre ya steering wheel .....

How To Straighten Your Steering Wheel - YouTube

and easier to show with a video....

reddragon72
08-27-2013, 02:00 PM
easy to re centre ya steering wheel .....

vid linked removed to save loading time.

and easier to show with a video....

what the heck was he doing at the end of that video lol didn't look right.

My problem is my steering slops back and forth without turning the wheels at all. very scary sometimes. I really need to kind out what the heck the deal is with that.

4.3LXJ
08-27-2013, 02:19 PM
Start by adjusting your steering box

reddragon72
08-27-2013, 02:28 PM
Start by adjusting your steering box

Let me ad some info. on the intermediate shaft there is play in this little white plastic looking piece. I can actually turn the steering wheel an inch or more before the steering end of the shaft turns.

bad thing is I cannot find any info on this anywhere.

4.3LXJ
08-27-2013, 03:55 PM
Sounds like you are talking about the sector shaft

Dredwolf
09-02-2013, 12:26 PM
Working solo today, but did manage to drive jeep around pasture to settle the suspension.

Steering is WAY off, MUCH tighter turning radius to left from operators position than to right. :confused:

I had some "help" centering the axle, and its still way off, and the toe is still way off too. :bang: That may be part of the turning radius issue.

Back on the jackstands... :P

Dredwolf
09-03-2013, 07:10 PM
Managed to get this better today, down to about 1/8" toe, with the steering roughly centered.

Ran out of adjustment on the track bar, I guess because I don't have enough lift? :confused:

It's only off 1/2", so its not bad at all.