PDA

View Full Version : Removing T-case

denverd1
08-22-2013, 09:52 AM
So its looks like I've got to split the T-case and reapply black RTV to seal it up. Stupid ass shop didn't get it done right so its leaking while it sits in the driveway. Hasn't had any miles put on her in a while, but I don't think that would help with the leak.

So, should I try to do this with the case in the jeep? Or drop it?

Only thing I'm worried about is the oil tube where the pump is. I'm pretty good at putting things back like I found them, just curious if you guys have any words of advice on the project.

Also, should I put a t-case drop on while I'm working on it? I'm at 4.5" with an SYE. Would like to get to 6" one day, but its not on the top of the list....

4.3LXJ
08-22-2013, 10:07 AM
Personally, I would drop the case and put it on the bench. If you try to do it in the Jeep, which is probably what happened before, there is always a little oil that seeps into the surface to be sealed on the bottom. Hence the leak. It is not hard to drop anyway. Besides the case was designed to be assembled in that position.

Mudderoy
08-22-2013, 10:15 AM
Just an alternative view/experience. I've had my NP242 opened and closed about, ahhhh, 4 times now. I've never had an issue with it leaking and I've never removed it from the vehicle. All work has been done with it left connected to the transmission. Oh I've always used the red (orange?) RTV.

bluedragon436
08-22-2013, 01:45 PM
I will be pulling mine to install my SYE once I get back stateside from this deployment.. I was going to do it in the Jeep, but have heard from a few folks that they ahd issues with it leaking afterwards, figuring like Steve said, was a little bit of oil dripped out after the surface was cleaned... I figure I'll pull mine out just to do a good lookover and cleanup while I'm doing the SYE and reseal... I would not do a TC drop, as you already have a SYE installed.. if you didn't have an SYE I'd say hit up a TC drop if you couldn't afford an SYE... the TC drop is just a way to get around having to buy an SYE, at least for a little while... I can't wait to remove my TC drop and install the SYE, as I should have done a while back!!

msmoorenburg
08-22-2013, 02:25 PM
I've done it both ways it doesn't really matter. But how i would decide is how nasty is the bottom of the jeep? You don't want added joy in the tc case

denverd1
08-22-2013, 02:46 PM
Thanks guys. I'm just hoping they didn't pry it open in the wrong spot and mar the mating surface.

Mudderoy
08-23-2013, 11:57 AM
Thanks guys. I'm just hoping they didn't pry it open in the wrong spot and mar the mating surface.

That makes a lot of sense. Of course they may just not have cleaned the old off of it.

matt0106
08-24-2013, 12:50 AM
I say leave it in. I left mine in when I installed my SYE, no problems with leaking when put back together.

denverd1
08-26-2013, 02:21 PM
10-4. What oil goes back in it? 90W like the diffs?

XJ Wheeler
08-26-2013, 03:08 PM
Atf

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

matt0106
08-26-2013, 06:00 PM
ATF. I use Lucas oil products ATF.

bad luck
08-29-2013, 04:15 AM
I just swapped out an NP242 , and swapped in a 231, that I took apart on the bench and put in an advance adapters sye. As Steve said it's not hard to do, and I prefer to work at the bench. No leaks when I filled it.