PDA

View Full Version : 98 cherokee cat

cpttuna
08-21-2013, 05:24 PM
my 98 has an O2 sensor in the rear part of the cat. I was going to replace the stock system with ss and therefor was going to purchase an aftermarket stainless CAT that does not have a port for an O2 sensor and run a small piece of ss pipe between the cat and the muffler and put the sensor there. Anyone else done something like this.

4.3LXJ
08-21-2013, 05:27 PM
I suppose it would work. Why not have a bung welded on. I think that would be easier

cpttuna
08-21-2013, 07:22 PM
I have a bung already welded in the small piece of pipe I was going to add. Can I assume the cat came from the factory with a hole for an O2 senser in it?

4.3LXJ
08-21-2013, 07:45 PM
Yes it did

Mudderoy
08-22-2013, 09:38 AM
my 98 has an O2 sensor in the rear part of the cat. I was going to replace the stock system with ss and therefor was going to purchase an aftermarket stainless CAT that does not have a port for an O2 sensor and run a small piece of ss pipe between the cat and the muffler and put the sensor there. Anyone else done something like this.

I purchased a catalytic convert from Summit, I think, for about $100 that had the O2 bung already installed.

Dredwolf
08-22-2013, 09:50 AM
Good questions and answers!

Once I get the suspension worked out, the PO of my '99 chopped up the exhaust...including the cat. converter.

I reworked the cheap muffler, exhaust mount to crossmember, and with a turn-down, have it sounding decent without being loud and "droaning" in the passenger compartment.

I have two O2 sensors, was there a 3rd I wonder?