PDA

View Full Version : Two Full Size Options

DrDuktayp
08-21-2013, 09:34 AM
My son has my previous project truck which has a 9"/HP44 with 4.88 and detroits installed. There is also a set of 1 ton axles Sterling/D60 balljoint available open (and 4.10s the owner thinks).

He may grab the 1 ton set which would make his 9/44 available. Or he may decide that he's going to pass.

Being really new to XJ's I am wondering if either set would work okay. I've always worried about the 44 in the bronco so would probably want to upgrade the axles if I go that route.

I'd like to get started on the project next month and have it back on the road within a year.

Tentative plans so far:
Reinforce chassis rails
skidplates & bumpers
Boatside or rocker guards at least
body Trim
Tube style fenders tied into rocker guards as needed to cover tires
oh, and a rollcage

The goals are to be able to drive rig to Nevada wheel it and drive it home either next year or the year after.

Any thoughts on this?

-Tom

4.3LXJ
08-21-2013, 11:12 AM
The goals are to be able to drive rig to Nevada wheel it and drive it home either next year or the year after.

Any thoughts on this?

-Tom

Yeah, a ton of them. But maybe not all relevant. However there are some considerations. First of all, what size tires are we talking here. That will determine which axles to go with. And is Nevada the only place you will wheel?

First of all, that sterling and D60 are huge, for an XJ. You will have trouble fitting the pumpkin up there on a stuff in the front. So you will need a taller lift. 6"+ I think. Also, there is a matter of unsprung weight. If you are on trails and such then you will need a stiffer spring rate so the axle will go down rapidly. Otherwise washboards and gravel will not be your friend. The XJ is a light rig, so a 9" and 44 are a great combo. The other set up however are an advantage in a rock buggy because they will give you a lower center of gravity. Personally, I am inclined to use axles that are lighter in weight, yet still strong for overall use

denverd1
08-21-2013, 11:19 AM
I think tons are overkill. cool idea though!

DrDuktayp
08-21-2013, 02:24 PM
My son is pretty sure he will pick up the 1 tons. So, the plan would be that I will give him about 800 for the D44/9 inch combo. Those are complete front and rear assemblies minus tires and wheels. He'll be switching to leafs in the front.

The D44/9 inch have very few miles on them and as I mentioned previously both have detroits and 4.88 gears.

I had hoped to only put 33's on the Cherokee but so far everything is still in the planning stages.

Thanks for the input
-Tom

4.3LXJ
08-21-2013, 02:27 PM
With 4.88s I would suggest 35s. That is going to be a long loud trip with 33s to Nevada

DrDuktayp
08-21-2013, 09:02 PM
With 4.88s I would suggest 35s. That is going to be a long loud trip with 33s to Nevada

Yeah, I went out and measured and I can go pretty tall on the tires and still fit it in the garage. So, 35's are no problem- I have a 7 foot tall garage opening and really want to be able to pull it in and out without scraping.

It does have an overdrive so I hope that helps too

-Tom

4.3LXJ
08-21-2013, 09:22 PM
Tom, rule of thumb for 33s is 4.10 and maybe 4.56 for power. For 35s is 4.56 and 4.88 for power

DrDuktayp
08-22-2013, 08:15 PM
Tom, rule of thumb for 33s is 4.10 and maybe 4.56 for power. For 35s is 4.56 and 4.88 for power

Yeah, I'm not too thrilled to run 4.88's again as I wanted to stay with a more affordable tire this time. Although, everything that catches my eye is big. I like big rear ends, big tires ...

Thanks

-Tom