PDA

View Full Version : 97 cherokee starting/voltage issue

BATjeep45
08-19-2013, 09:52 PM
I have a 97 Cherokee sport 4.0L 2wd auto. just replaced the head gasket and coolant system overhaul cause it was overheating, found blown head gasket. but before the tear down I was having a starting issue. put the key in the ignition and turn like im gonna start it and the bastard would drop power to everything. it would do that for 3-6 key turn's and start right up and run like nothing ever happened,.... runs drives a/c works lights dash work everything like its supposed to be. the thing is the day before I tore the engine down for the head gasket the issue persists. so I went ahead and did the repair and now after problem still there. but now working on it today the ignition switch don't do anything, turn the key all you want it nothing. not even the beeping with the key is in the lock and cylinder assembly. done all the basic checks on fuses, also on relays on the passenger side panel and PDC all relays and fuses check out good. anybody with any ideas, the assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Mudderoy
08-19-2013, 09:58 PM
I have a 97 Cherokee sport 4.0L 2wd auto. just replaced the head gasket and coolant system overhaul cause it was overheating, found blown head gasket. but before the tear down I was having a starting issue. put the key in the ignition and turn like im gonna start it and the bastard would drop power to everything. it would do that for 3-6 key turn's and start right up and run like nothing ever happened,.... runs drives a/c works lights dash work everything like its supposed to be. the thing is the day before I tore the engine down for the head gasket the issue persists. so I went ahead and did the repair and now after problem still there. but now working on it today the ignition switch don't do anything, turn the key all you want it nothing. not even the beeping with the key is in the lock and cylinder assembly. done all the basic checks on fuses, also on relays on the passenger side panel and PDC all relays and fuses check out good. anybody with any ideas, the assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Reading the description I couldn't help but think it's the ignition switch itself.

BATjeep45
08-19-2013, 10:08 PM
well I didn't put that in the description but I bought and replaced the ignition switch and still does the same nothing if you turn the key. thanks though

Mudderoy
08-19-2013, 10:30 PM
well I didn't put that in the description but I bought and replaced the ignition switch and still does the same nothing if you turn the key. thanks though

Well crap! It really smells like something with contacts.

nickyg
08-19-2013, 11:18 PM
I'm not sure if this pertains to your situation.
My starter turned over kinda slow. I replaced all my battery cables with 2 gauge. Now it spins a lot faster. The braided ground cable at the firewall was broke down by the valve cover and holding on by a thread. Did you check all the grounds?

Just my 2 cents, electric is something I know nothing about. other then keep my tounge out of the socket.

bad luck
08-20-2013, 03:31 AM
The best way to find electrical problems is to do a voltage drop test. The starter must be cranking and check the voltage drop. Don't neglect the ground side.