PDA

View Full Version : Mechanical Goofs?

McChoka
08-19-2013, 07:51 AM
I know most of us have done it, or at least seen one. And you know what I'm talking about- just completely goofed up SOMETHING with our vehicles. For example, I knew a girl who changed the oil ONCE in her little Ram D-50. Once. And thought it was golden. Then she turned around and did the same with her Geo Prizm. No she didn't learn the first time and got the same end result. I found it pretty hilarious. So what have y'all heard of/ done? I'm curious how many others have just made honest mistakes and goofed.

abebehrmann
08-19-2013, 08:44 AM
Right after I bought my XJ I noticed that one of the brakes appeared to be sticking. Pulled the wheel off expecting to find a stuck brake caliper and found out (with the help of my Haynes Manual and XJTalk) that the last person to change brake pads actually put the pads on the wrong side of the vehicle (Left side on right side, right on left) so in effect they were installed upside-down.

bulrid8
08-19-2013, 02:43 PM
Never seen side specific pads? There is an inner and outer for each side, but not right or left side of vehicle.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

abebehrmann
08-19-2013, 06:54 PM
I believe they switched pad design in 1995 they switched to a style that is side specific. It has two ears on the bottom and one ear on top to lock it in place. I'll find my old set and take a pic.

abebehrmann
08-19-2013, 07:10 PM
This is from the Factory Service Manual but I think it's a pretty good representation.

bulrid8
08-19-2013, 07:28 PM
My bad, I forgot about those ears. I see what your talking about.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2