View Full Version : Strong Gas Smell

JeepFreak
08-18-2013, 01:50 PM
So I started realizing more and more that I can smell a very strong odor of gas when I turn off my car and walk past the engine compartment. I've heard you're supposed to smell gas to a certain degree but this is STRONG. I mean it was so bad that I actually checked my injectors and fuel lines for gas leaks to which there was no leak anywhere. So now I'm wondering if it's my charcoal canister since that keeps the fumes from really getting out. Anyone else have this problem before? If it is the canister, can the charcoal harm my engine?

Mudderoy
08-18-2013, 02:16 PM
So I started realizing more and more that I can smell a very strong odor of gas when I turn off my car and walk past the engine compartment. I've heard you're supposed to smell gas to a certain degree but this is STRONG. I mean it was so bad that I actually checked my injectors and fuel lines for gas leaks to which there was no leak anywhere. So now I'm wondering if it's my charcoal canister since that keeps the fumes from really getting out. Anyone else have this problem before? If it is the canister, can the charcoal harm my engine?

I notice the 99 had a strong smell of gas after it was filled with fuel. I noticed a drip on the concrete and upon further investigation I found the fuel seeping out of the top of the fuel cell.

I have read that you are supposed to replace the straps anytime you drop the tank, so I ordered a set of straps from Amazon and now I'm waiting for the girls to stop filling up the tank so I can drop it. I suspect it's just a line that has a crack in it.

It only gives the strong smell of fuel after it's filled. Remember fuel evaporates quickly so you might need to look very closely at the injectors, etc... while it's running. Just be careful.

JeepFreak
08-18-2013, 02:35 PM
I notice the 99 had a strong smell of gas after it was filled with fuel. I noticed a drip on the concrete and upon further investigation I found the fuel seeping out of the top of the fuel cell.

I have read that you are supposed to replace the straps anytime you drop the tank, so I ordered a set of straps from Amazon and now I'm waiting for the girls to stop filling up the tank so I can drop it. I suspect it's just a line that has a crack in it.

It only gives the strong smell of fuel after it's filled. Remember fuel evaporates quickly so you might need to look very closely at the injectors, etc... while it's running. Just be careful.

Well I do know that the injectors are not leaking outside the seal so it would either be internal or what I believe is the more likely cause (since it's still stock after 20 years), the charcoal canister. I'm not sure how long they last but I would assume the charcoal degrades a lot over 20 years which is probably why it smells badly of gas since it isn't capturing it.

prerunner1982
08-18-2013, 02:44 PM
When I had a strong gas smell it was the fuel pressure regulator at the front of the fuel rail.

JeepFreak
08-18-2013, 02:47 PM
When I had a strong gas smell it was the fuel pressure regulator at the front of the fuel rail.

Well fuel pressure seems to be fine since the car doesn't struggle on a hill or anything and it isn't seeming like it's misfiring from limited fuel. Wouldn't that mean that it is fine? I'm not sure what to think at this point.

BlueXJ
08-18-2013, 04:39 PM
Ihave had to replace mine a few times. The replacements are cheaply made and the diaphrams inside rupture allowing fuel to escape and could cause a fire. My todolist has it listed to check weekly and to replace every 18 months.

JeepFreak
08-18-2013, 05:27 PM
Ihave had to replace mine a few times. The replacements are cheaply made and the diaphrams inside rupture allowing fuel to escape and could cause a fire. My todolist has it listed to check weekly and to replace every 18 months.

Well if that is what's wrong then I think I'll leave mine alone lolI don't think that's what it is though.

prerunner1982
08-18-2013, 07:02 PM
Well fuel pressure seems to be fine since the car doesn't struggle on a hill or anything and it isn't seeming like it's misfiring from limited fuel. Wouldn't that mean that it is fine? I'm not sure what to think at this point.

Didn't notice any problems running, though it did take a bit longer to start than normal.

nickyg
08-18-2013, 07:11 PM
now I'm waiting for the girls to stop filling up the tank so I can drop it.

What strange universe do you live in where kids return a vehicle with gas in it?

JeepFreak
08-18-2013, 09:46 PM
Well it starts normal and runs normal. This is why I'm leaning to something in the engine compartment cause that's where it smells like gas the most.

Mudderoy
08-18-2013, 10:58 PM
What strange universe do you live in where kids return a vehicle with gas in it?

They are the only ones that drive the 99, well I guess the wife does sometimes, when she want's more room for groceries. That TJ is tough to move much food, oh and getting it in and out ain't as easy either. :D

nickyg
08-19-2013, 06:02 AM
They are the only ones that drive the 99, well I guess the wife does sometimes, when she want's more room for groceries. That TJ is tough to move much food, oh and getting it in and out ain't as easy either. :D

It seems like everytime I get in a car it's out of gas. I can always tell when my daugters VW out of gas. Thats when she drives the Jeep. of course she returns it empty.

didn't mean to highjack
Have you checked the vent line that runs from the tank to the canaster?