PDA

View Full Version : Welcome DrDuktayp!!!

BlueXJ
08-18-2013, 11:23 AM
Hi DrDuktayp, :welcome: to the :xjtalk: forum!

We would love to know more about you and your Jeep. How you found us, etc...

Be sure and check out our XJ TALK SHOW! (http://podcasts.xjtalk.com) It\'s about Cherokees! It\'s like a radio talk show, but from the Internet.

Check out our sister sites, http://www.WranglerTalk.com/ and http://www.di-dah-dit.com/

DrDuktayp
08-18-2013, 11:55 AM
Hi Thanks for the welcome.

A little about me and where I live. My name is Tom and I am married with three full grown kids. I live in Ketchikan which is a small town on an island in SE Alaska. There really isn't a lot of four wheeling here but we do have some gravel roads and get a little snow each year. We had some friends move to Nevada and they are very near the Rubicon trail and he's always wanted to do it. My friend is building a CJ and I hope to drive down with the XJ next summer. Time will tell if this can and will happen.

I've been looking for a project and ran across a 1993 XJ with the 4.0 in it for 800 dollars. My wife has a 2000 Wrangler with the same inline 6. The funny thing is I was about to purchase a Dodge W250 pickup for a project that same morning. I think I got really lucky!

I haven't rolled it into the garage for the once over as I am finishing my son's truck. I know that it needs a new track bar or pan hard bar and shocks just to get through winter driving. Currently it sits in my driveway waiting for me.

Tentatively I plan to-
Replace D35 with Narrowed 14 bolt ff with locker, disc brakes and matching short side axles (62.5 width).
Stiffen the 'frame' rails
Add skidplates & rocker guards
33" +/- tires

I have yet to figure out what I will do with the D30. I'd like to keep it but do want to be able to have 8 lug wheels all around so I can have one spare.

Honestly, I am still at the gathering information stage and won't start for another month. I hope to read everything I can before making final decisions.

I look forward to reading your posts and sharing ideas.

- Tom

Mudderoy
08-18-2013, 12:24 PM
Hi Thanks for the welcome.

A little about me and where I live. My name is Tom and I am married with three full grown kids. I live in Ketchikan which is a small town on an island in SE Alaska. There really isn't a lot of four wheeling here but we do have some gravel roads and get a little snow each year. We had some friends move to Nevada and they are very near the Rubicon trail and he's always wanted to do it. My friend is building a CJ and I hope to drive down with the XJ next summer. Time will tell if this can and will happen.

I've been looking for a project and ran across a 1993 XJ with the 4.0 in it for 800 dollars. My wife has a 2000 Wrangler with the same inline 6. The funny thing is I was about to purchase a Dodge W250 pickup for a project that same morning. I think I got really lucky!

I haven't rolled it into the garage for the once over as I am finishing my son's truck. I know that it needs a new track bar or pan hard bar and shocks just to get through winter driving. Currently it sits in my driveway waiting for me.

Tentatively I plan to-
Replace D35 with Narrowed 14 bolt ff with locker, disc brakes and matching short side axles (62.5 width).
Stiffen the 'frame' rails
Add skidplates & rocker guards
33" +/- tires

I have yet to figure out what I will do with the D30. I'd like to keep it but do want to be able to have 8 lug wheels all around so I can have one spare.

Honestly, I am still at the gathering information stage and won't start for another month. I hope to read everything I can before making final decisions.

I look forward to reading your posts and sharing ideas.

- Tom

I look forward to the build. Yep, I was wondering the other day why we don't have more members from Alaska. Seems like a natural "Jeep" breeding ground! Especially Jeeps of the off road rugged nature.

It will be very interesting to see what direction you go with the Dana 30.

With 33x12.5x15 a 97+ Chrysler 8.25 with 29 spline axles will handle that locked all day long. Plus it's only about a $100 to $150 straight swap. If you add in the disc brake conversion from a Grand Cherokee (junk yard) the axle will stay in if you brake an axle, since the C8.25 is a "C" clip.

With chrome molly axles on the Dana 30 you can lock it. If you plan on leaving it open, you won't even need to do that. Careful use of skinny petal you could even lock and wheel that Dana 35. Steve, 4.3lxj here, is running a D35 on his.

:welcome: to :xjtalk:

4.3LXJ
08-18-2013, 01:50 PM
Welcome. Tony is right. I think the 14 bolt is too much of a good thing. The pumpkin is much to large and will get hung up on everything with 33s. 97+ 8.25 or better yet a D44 from an early XJ is even better. Those you can get 35 spline axles for (same as the 14 bolt) and don't weigh a ton either.

XJ Wheeler
08-18-2013, 04:04 PM
Welcome to xjtalk, Tim. Good to have someone from the great state of Alaska. When ya get a moment post up a picture of your new project.

Yeah, the 14 bolt is a massive axle. One that can handle 44" tires, but for 33s it would be overkill. They can be shaved to help clearance but is still a bit too large for your application. Plus it would add a good amount of unsprung weight.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

DrDuktayp
08-18-2013, 06:39 PM
I will see if I can find the Chrysler 8.25 here on the island. I most likely will have to find one south and then have it shipped up on the barge.

Thanks for the input.

-Tom

XJ Wheeler
08-19-2013, 05:06 AM
As long as you're looking, go for a '97+ so you get the 29 spline axleshafts.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

DrDuktayp
08-19-2013, 09:43 AM
I feel kind of stupid. I looked under my Cherokee and found that the rear is the Chrysler 8.25. It clearly looks different than my wife's D35 in her TJ.

It's a '93 so I guess it has the 27 spline version.

4.3LXJ
08-19-2013, 10:45 AM
Yes, 27 spline

Mudderoy
08-19-2013, 02:41 PM
I feel kind of stupid. I looked under my Cherokee and found that the rear is the Chrysler 8.25. It clearly looks different than my wife's D35 in her TJ.

It's a '93 so I guess it has the 27 spline version.

We've all been there. Yep pre 1997 is the 27 spline. I've read that they are about as strong as a D35.