PDA

View Full Version : Opinions, attempted theft or just vandalism?

Mudderoy
08-17-2013, 07:16 PM
Friday in the "secure" parking garage at work, someone either attempted to steal my headlight or was just vandalizing my Jeep.

What do you guys think? I'm going to report this to security Monday and they'll open an investigation, go back over the security videos, etc...

Anyone ran across anything like this in the past?

Oh if you can't tell by the pictures, the screws were NOT removed. They just pulled the filler panel out.

abebehrmann
08-17-2013, 07:25 PM
Ugh, I hate people sometimes. Can't figure out why they would try to steal a headlight of all things, but then again I can't figure out why they would choose to vandalize just that area either. Would be way easier and faster to key it or slash a tire.

abebehrmann
08-17-2013, 07:28 PM
Maybe someone trying to get into the hood to steal something else like the battery?

Mudderoy
08-17-2013, 07:29 PM
Ugh, I hate people sometimes. Can't figure out why they would try to steal a headlight of all things, but then again I can't figure out why they would choose to vandalize just that area either. Would be way easier and faster to key it or slash a tire.

I suspect vandalism. I'll have to review my own video footage (dash cam) to see exactly where I parked, but I believe it's an area where the human outcasts, the smokers (:D) go to smoke.

It could have been as simple as knowing where the security cams are and then calculating what they think they could get away with. Still I'd be a little leery doing something with an obvious dash cam pointing at me.

Should be simple to hook up a circuit so when the "bump" sensor goes off on the alarm it will turn the dash cam on and record a couple of minutes then shut off.

Anyone know what that part is called? I have to order a new one. Headlight filler panel?

Mudderoy
08-17-2013, 07:38 PM
Ahhh found it. Headlight bezel...

Omix-Ada 12419.18 Headlight Bezel : Amazon.com : Automotive@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41IdQUn77DL.@@AMEPARAM@@41IdQUn77DL

cpttuna
08-17-2013, 07:42 PM
55055136 Black right
5EM72SW1 right(P.A.R.)

Mudderoy
08-17-2013, 07:52 PM
Or I could get a Mopar...

http://www.factorymoparparts.com/55055136.html

$73 :workout:

Brasscatz
08-17-2013, 08:06 PM
I HATE when people mess with other people's cars. HATE IT. So they ripped the bezel out, is it gone or just broken?

Paddletrucker
08-17-2013, 08:42 PM
:D:D:D:D:D:D

Don't **** with another man's vehicle - YouTube

Mudderoy
08-17-2013, 08:53 PM
I HATE when people mess with other people's cars. HATE IT. So they ripped the bezel out, is it gone or just broken?

Well I don't have it. It's possible I'll find it in the parking garage Monday.

Brasscatz
08-17-2013, 09:16 PM
Then it's possible that somebody was missing a bezel and was just a big idiot

Dredwolf
08-17-2013, 10:07 PM
Then it's possible that somebody was missing a bezel and was just a big idiot

So that's two reasons they must be found... ;)

bluedragon436
08-18-2013, 02:11 AM
I would say if they ripped it out instead of removing screws they weren't pulling the bezel to replace theirs... I would say someone might have been going for the headlight housings... you have the H4 upgrade done right?? I would say if they were just going for vandilizing, they'd have just broken the lights, including the ones on teh bumper...

Rustbucket
08-18-2013, 03:30 AM
That's awful, something similar happened with my exhaust once. Hopefully you're able to find out who did it.

XJ Wheeler
08-18-2013, 03:36 AM
This is just sickening. What scum! Hope ya find out who it was.

It is sort of puzzling. You would think they wouldn't junk rip that off it they were vandalizing. Although, obviously you are dealing with people lacking in brain power. On the other hand, who would steal a headlight?!?! Especially when you have all those goodies like offroad lights, shackles, etc. Probably just someone who didn't like something about you or your vehicle. Prius driving greenie that didn't like your big gas sucking truck? Someone having problems at home and didn't like your driving?

Like i said, hope at least you find out who it was. Not much worse for a vandal than facing the victim, cause they do cowardly things when no one is around and expect to get away.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

nickyg
08-18-2013, 08:53 AM
Since your doors were locked, maybe they thought they could access the cabin thru the space inbetween the headlight and turn signal light?

or maybe there is a huge black market for right side busted bezels. Sorta like shark finns where they catch a shark, cut off it's dorsal fin and throw the rest back.

Does Jeep bezel make a good soup?

either way it sucks, what does the other one look like? you might have to get a pair. to make it match due to weathering

Brasscatz
08-18-2013, 10:26 AM
you might have to get a pair.

Nickyg told you to get a pair!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 because my microwave couldn't do it

Mudderoy
08-18-2013, 11:49 AM
I would say if they ripped it out instead of removing screws they weren't pulling the bezel to replace theirs... I would say someone might have been going for the headlight housings... you have the H4 upgrade done right?? I would say if they were just going for vandilizing, they'd have just broken the lights, including the ones on teh bumper...

IPF, only problem is the way I was parked I don't think they could have got the driver's side.

Paddletrucker
08-18-2013, 09:24 PM
Does Jeep bezel make a good soup?

No, but I've heard Jeep bezel is sold as an aphrodisiac in the country of Crapcanistan.

nickyg
08-18-2013, 10:06 PM
I just noticed that they are red. I suppose they are painted and not molded in color? A good excuse to get the whole rig painted to match. But how did something red break? they must have used dynamite.

Carves
08-18-2013, 10:20 PM
Friday in the "secure" parking garage at work, someone either attempted to steal my headlight or was just vandalizing my Jeep .....................

That sucks ....

Pain needs to be inflicted on whoevers responsible .. ;);)

Mudderoy
08-20-2013, 11:37 AM
I was out sick yesterday, but today I reported the vandalism with security.

After that I e-mailed the group I work with and received 2 interesting stories.

One team member had her BMW valve stem caps stolen, and replaced with standard black plastic ones.

Another team member had his car's badge removed, I forget what car he drives, I'm thinking Honda.

This is starting to sound like kids.

EekGirl96
08-20-2013, 11:53 AM
Some people, thats horrible!!! Hopefully theyll find out who did this!

Ive never had anything vandalized but I have had a "d-ring" stolen off the back of my XJ when I ran into my local auto parts store....I can tell you I was pissed!!!

Ive also had some guy put trash on my tires and my back bumper, not sure why maybe its cause I was "too close" to his shiney new BMW,...needless to say I figured out who it was and the next time I saw his car I parked so that he couldnt get out lol

Mudderoy
08-20-2013, 10:40 PM

4.3LXJ
08-20-2013, 10:45 PM
Good as new

Mudderoy
08-20-2013, 10:47 PM
Good as new

Oh so shinny, well except for that big freaking thumb print cause I couldn't wait for it to dry completely! :P It'll do.

prerunner1982
08-20-2013, 10:49 PM
Anything worth while on the dash cam?

Mudderoy
08-20-2013, 10:49 PM
Anything worth while on the dash cam?

Dash cam doesn't run while the ignition key is off.

prerunner1982
08-20-2013, 10:54 PM
Ahh, if it did how power does it have motion sensor? Some of the ones I was looking at had the motion sensor to start recording. Thought that would be great to have for instances like this. I bet that probably didn't even know you had the dashcam..

nickyg
08-21-2013, 12:50 AM
I still think you should've just painted the whole thing. Another coat of red would've made it tough as nails.

Mudderoy
08-21-2013, 12:57 AM
I still think you should've just painted the whole thing. Another coat of red would've made it tough as nails.

The government asked me not to. They were afraid what would happen if it fell into the hands of terrorists! :xj-red:

EekGirl96
08-21-2013, 08:57 AM
Good as new!! Lets hope the person who did this to you before doesnt do it again!

redneck999
08-22-2013, 11:21 AM
Leave the thumb print on it in case of future theft recovery ID. Top that bad guys!

prcjeep
08-22-2013, 11:55 AM
Leave the thumb print on it in case of future theft recovery ID. Top that bad guys!

LOL never thought of that as a way to identify your belongings... who is going to think "oh hey we need to scrape off this random fingerprint from when someone painted this"?

redneck999
08-22-2013, 03:20 PM
See, i'm always thinking. I'ts usually wrong though.

gary63
08-22-2013, 05:52 PM
but if someone steal if they will have a revers print that they can leve on something at a crime seen and the police will think he was there. humm that just gave me a ideal. lol

redneck999
08-22-2013, 09:51 PM
Sorry Mudd, apparently i have set you up for a life of crime. on a different note what kind of idiot thief steals something like that without a cordless drill? I take one everywhere and besides, i'm lazy.

graverobberjk
08-23-2013, 09:03 AM
Friday in the "secure" parking garage at work, someone either attempted to steal my headlight or was just vandalizing my Jeep.

What do you guys think? I'm going to report this to security Monday and they'll open an investigation, go back over the security videos, etc...

Anyone ran across anything like this in the past?

Oh if you can't tell by the pictures, the screws were NOT removed. They just pulled the filler panel out.

honestly that could go either way, but im leaning more tward vandalizing, that much pulling and twisting to pull out that pannel, you run a risk of damaging the light. I really hate people some times, it must be too hard for people to just do the right thing