PDA

View Full Version : Stock luggage cross bars

Midknight
08-17-2013, 01:07 PM
I am going to get a luggage rack soon and wondered if the stock cross bars will hold the rack with a tire and extra stuff? I as thinking about getting 2 extra to put up there so it can help with the weight. Also are there aftermarket cross bars that will fit our XJ's?

ArmyGuy45
08-17-2013, 01:28 PM
I am going to get a luggage rack soon and wondered if the stock cross bars will hold the rack with a tire and extra stuff? I as thinking about getting 2 extra to put up there so it can help with the weight. Also are there aftermarket cross bars that will fit our XJ's?

From what I have been told the gutter mounts are much stronger since they take you off the roof and more on to the side. The stock rails/rack can hold about 100 pounds if you disperse the weight.

4x4Dalton
08-17-2013, 01:29 PM
How many bars do you have up there? If only 2 you would need at least 2 more for 2 tires. They will hold alot of weight but it needs to be distributed right. I had a homemade roof rack on 3 with a 35 in tire and rim. It sat great.

4.3LXJ
08-17-2013, 02:20 PM
Stockers are kind of weak. As mentioned, you would need another set to hold much weight and you would not be able to max out with near as much weight as with gutter mount

Midknight
08-17-2013, 03:27 PM
Thanks for the info. What gutter mounts do you suggest?

Mudderoy
08-17-2013, 03:36 PM
Have a look at JCR Offroad they sell a set for $40.

Seems like someone on here had a problem with the mounts (not necessarily JCR's) punching through the rain gutter metal.

Carves
08-17-2013, 11:59 PM
X 2 on using extra factory crossbars to spread the load. I use 4 ... sometimes 6.

FWIW ... IMHO the factory roofmounted rail set up, is stronger than gutter mounts ... but uploads/bouncing, caused by road conditions, mean that the rivnuts could get stressed out - so additional clamps to the little lip referred to as a, "gutter", would be beneficial.

Guttermounts are just a clamp ... and a loaded rack, can slide forward under heavy braking ... and theres internet pics of XJ "gutters", ripped and torn for various reasons ... A minimum 3 clamps per side would be my preference.

Midknight
08-18-2013, 10:42 AM
http://www.a1-autoracks.com/proline-gmr165-rain-gutter-racks.html

I was going to get 4 of these and use them. I am not going to put a lot of stuff on the rack, but I would like to put the spare and the jack