PDA

View Full Version : LED flashlight tip

cpttuna
08-17-2013, 12:48 PM
I own one of those led flashlights you can buy at the counter of your local auto parts store(the kind that take the 3 AAA batteries. I paid like $20 for it and it would not work. The problem was determined to be in the housing that holds the three batteries. While in the local Dollar Tree store with my wife, I found the similiar type flashlight for $1.00. I bought one, took the housing out of it, put 3 batteries in it and stuck it in the non-working flashlight. Bingo, it worked.

Dredwolf
08-17-2013, 09:06 PM
Good tip! I keep some "nice" LED stuff around (Surefire, Streamlight, etc), but I can't seem to avoid picking up the cheap LED lights from Harbor Freight, and keeping them everywhere. They actually work pretty well once you install decent batteries, and make sure the contacts are doing their job.

XJ Wheeler
08-17-2013, 10:59 PM
Yep, had a few of those type stop working on me. They got the appropriate surgery and MOST worked again. :D I can even begin to count how many LED flashlights i have. I always carry a 175 lumen Husky on me. :rolleyes:

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

bluedragon436
08-18-2013, 01:47 AM
I love my LED flashlights... I always carry at least two one being a Surefire and the other is very similar in quality to a Surefire when I am flying on missions... I have one Surefire that stays in my XJ as well as a 3 D cell LED Maglite that sits right next to my seat. Got another LED Maglite in my toolbox as well as a few other misc. LED lights... one of which I cna't remember where I picked it up, but I want to purchase more of them, it has five LED bulbs in a row, and has a magnetic clip... very convenient when working on cars.. Then I have a rechargeable LED light that was kind of expensive as my the power went out I need to see light... Yeah I might have a small flashlight addiction!! LOL

XJ Wheeler
08-18-2013, 02:08 AM
I love my LED flashlights... I always carry at least two one being a Surefire and the other is very similar in quality to a Surefire when I am flying on missions... I have one Surefire that stays in my XJ as well as a 3 D cell LED Maglite that sits right next to my seat. Got another LED Maglite in my toolbox as well as a few other misc. LED lights... one of which I cna't remember where I picked it up, but I want to purchase more of them, it has five LED bulbs in a row, and has a magnetic clip... very convenient when working on cars.. Then I have a rechargeable LED light that was kind of expensive as my the power went out I need to see light... Yeah I might have a small flashlight addiction!! LOL

Ha! I love it!

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

Dredwolf
08-18-2013, 08:25 PM
one of which I cna't remember where I picked it up, but I want to purchase more of them, it has five LED bulbs in a row, and has a magnetic clip... very convenient when working on cars..

Picked up one of these recently, sounds similar, works REALLY well...

https://www.nebotools.com/prod_details.php?id=165

Video is a little silly, but the light works, and for less than $12 each, I am going to order a couple.

http://youtu.be/u7hcTlV4wv8

bad luck
10-15-2013, 05:42 PM
I too love LED flashlights, this is one of mine. I try to keep one in each vehicle and LED headlamps too. The flashlights I buy use the CR123 lithium batteries. They are insanely bright. A tip on these batteries, always replace them all at the same time. Because just like automotive batteries if one has a stronger charge than the other, it will draw current to the weaker battery, and creates a lot of heat. It can damage the light or possibly catch fire. Also use the same brand of batteries in your lights, no mix and match. I don't own any Surefire lights I just don't like paying that much money for a light. And I have owned these for a few years without any problems whatever. If you buy one of these lights make sure to order batteries online, you might find them locally but they will be very high priced.

cpttuna
10-15-2013, 09:28 PM
I have another flashlight tip. I carry an extra set of batteries around my flashlight held in place with electrician's tape. You can call it prepping or whatever, but I want my flashlight to work. Carrying the batteries gives me a nice feeling and their location does not hinder the light's operation.

nickyg
10-15-2013, 10:45 PM
Picked up one of these recently, sounds similar, works REALLY well...

https://www.nebotools.com/prod_details.php?id=165

Video is a little silly, but the light works, and for less than $12 each, I am going to order a couple.

I just bought the larry light on amazon for $8.25.