PDA

View Full Version : Rear Axle Is Crooked??

McChoka
08-16-2013, 03:09 PM
I recently replaced my rear axle (since my other one blew out, which was pretty comical). I had it installed and everything and noticed that my rear driver side tire was extremely close to the fender and the opposite one wasn't. I also noticed that both tires are pointed slightly to the right. So what would fix this...?

prerunner1982
08-16-2013, 03:16 PM
Did you completely remove the leaf springs when you swapped the axle?

If so I am guessing you have the drivers side leaf spring backwards. The center pin of the leaf spring on the XJ is likely not exactly in the middle (front to back) of the leaf spring, if it was installed backwards it would move that side of the axle slightly causing what you are describing.

4.3LXJ
08-16-2013, 03:20 PM
If you did not remove the leaf spring, check that center bolt. You will likely find it broken and the bottom of the spring shifted.

Rustbucket
08-16-2013, 03:57 PM
If you did not remove the leaf spring, check that center bolt. You will likely find it broken and the bottom of the spring shifted.

This. Check that bottom leaf, I've had it shift in a pack that still had an intact center pin.

McChoka
08-18-2013, 04:50 PM
Got it figured. We didn't line up the axle with the hole on the top leaf. There was no bolts on this one, but its holding together just fine.