PDA

View Full Version : New fault for you guys.

ArmyGuy45
08-16-2013, 06:13 AM
So when I was driving home today I turned the jeep on like normal. All the lights on the dash came on like normal and all of them went away but one. The Air Bag light was still on my dash and stayed that way for about a minute. Then the check engine light joined it followed shortly by my digital mileage read out to list "no bus". About 5 seconds after the no bus display all the lights went away and never came back on. Jeep drove normal the entire time.

Rustbucket
08-16-2013, 06:38 AM
As soon as you said the airbag light stayed on I knew no bus was coming. My 99 did this. The wiring harness for the dash is most likely loose or dirty.

Mudderoy
08-16-2013, 08:50 AM
Yep common on the 97+ XJ's. Some people bang on the dash, some people push on the cluster, some people fix it right. :D

If you pull the cluster and disconnected, reconnect the harness that will problem take care of it for another xxx,xxx miles.

ArmyGuy45
08-16-2013, 12:52 PM
Lol, so it happens every 100k or so? Is the connection behind the cluster or under it?

Mudderoy
08-16-2013, 01:07 PM
Lol, so it happens every 100k or so? Is the connection behind the cluster or under it?

It took a long time for mine, and remember I bought my 98 new! Recently Matt removed the dash on mine so we could replace the evap, heater core, and fan. Since then I haven't had the issue. I suspect it's the connector(s) to the cluster that just need to be reseated. I have heard about bad grounds, but I can't see how removing the dash and putting it back would have improved the grounds.