PDA

View Full Version : Deer Hunting...

Mudderoy
08-14-2013, 12:48 PM
Any deer hunters out there?

I'd like to go hunting but other that shooting I don't know what all you have to do. I mean I know you need a license and a place to go. From what little I've researched it looks like leases are very expensive.

Post up what you know, especially if you have someplace to go hunt in Texas.

OrangeXJ
08-14-2013, 12:59 PM
Any deer hunters out there?

I'd like to go hunting but other that shooting I don't know what all you have to do. I mean I know you need a license and a place to go. From what little I've researched it looks like leases are very expensive.

Post up what you know, especially if you have someplace to go hunt in Texas.

yes leases are VERY expensive that's why I don't hunt much anymore. My son's boss has a ranch in the hill country I go to once every other year. A guided day hunt may be the way to go.They range from 100 a day and up

Mudderoy
08-14-2013, 01:32 PM
yes leases are VERY expensive that's why I don't hunt much anymore. My son's boss has a ranch in the hill country I go to once every other year. A guided day hunt may be the way to go.They range from 100 a day and up

Guided, that's not where they trot out a deer, tie it to a tree and you hit in the head with a ball peen hammer (ahhh I mean shot it) is it?

OrangeXJ
08-14-2013, 01:36 PM
Guided, that's not where they trot out a deer, tie it to a tree and you hit in the head with a ball peen hammer (ahhh I mean shot it) is it?

no you go with a guide who knows the area and knows the deer movement. you may get one may not that's why they call it hunting

msmoorenburg
08-14-2013, 01:42 PM
Tony in the Texas hill country they are known as hooved rats hints no restrictions. Shoot you throw a rock you make hit a few

editedforsafety
08-14-2013, 10:40 PM
I bow hunted from 14-17 and was pretty successful, but I wasn't that big of a fan of sitting out there in the cold waiting. I could probably handle it a lot better now that I'm not a teen, but when I drive 8 hours up to the cabin now I just go hunting for ruffed grouse. Walking around trying to scare up some birds is a lot more my style.

Mudderoy
08-15-2013, 12:50 AM
I bow hunted from 14-17 and was pretty successful, but I wasn't that big of a fan of sitting out there in the cold waiting. I could probably handle it a lot better now that I'm not a teen, but when I drive 8 hours up to the cabin now I just go hunting for ruffed grouse. Walking around trying to scare up some birds is a lot more my style.

I didn't think of it, but walking and looking then shooting is what I used to do. Yeah sitting and waiting could be pretty boring. However I don't think there would be much left of a bird after I shot it with the .308 lol

Rustbucket
08-15-2013, 08:45 AM
We've got a good deal of public land to hunt in Connecticut(they haven't banned hunting rifles here...yet) I'd imagine there's a lot of land to hunt on in Texas given its size and lack of hippies.
Should give small game hunting a try, squirrel and rabbit can be pretty good.

Mudderoy
08-15-2013, 08:52 AM
We've got a good deal of public land to hunt in Connecticut(they haven't banned hunting rifles here...yet) I'd imagine there's a lot of land to hunt on in Texas given its size and lack of hippies.
Should give small game hunting a try, squirrel and rabbit can be pretty good.

That's the kind of hunting I did as a kid. It was fun. But I have this new rifle and deer is large enough for it. Plus if I get a deer my mother in-law might make me some venison tamales!

OrangeXJ
08-15-2013, 08:56 AM
stay away from hunting public land I did it 3 times and have never been so scard in my life people walking around shots every where.

4.3LXJ
08-15-2013, 10:43 AM
You guys have it all wrong. All you have to do is get your tags and follow my wife around. She has bagged three of them with her car. We eventually got bulk discounts at the body shop. :D

denverd1
08-15-2013, 02:39 PM
You guys have it all wrong. All you have to do is get your tags and follow my wife around. She has bagged three of them with her car. We eventually got bulk discounts at the body shop. :D

LOL. Yea, they'll tear up a front end for sure.

For the next few months, that about all I do besides eat, sleep and work just enough to keep my job. Dove and duck hunting is a buttload of fun. You can sit and chat with your buds, enjoy a coldie then start shooting when they get in range.

If you don't like sitting and waiting, then deer hunting is probably not your thing. But to answer your questions you need somewhere to hunt - as mentioned public land can be tricky unless you know some tucked away spots. Feeding with corn and minerals can help establish travel patterns and help hold them in an area. READ: travel patterns. NOT shooting a deer while it stands under a feeder. I had to change leases this year because the manager jumped prices 35% to 1350/gun. And wanted a 4 year contract for 8 guns. We said sorry we can't promise you $40K over the next 4 years. Found a suitable lease for $750 with much better terrain elavation and woods.

You could walk around a look for a deer to shoot, but you're going to piss off anyone around and may get yourself hurt. WHERE ORANGE if you choose to do this.

Been bowhunting for about 3 years now. THAT'S where the fun is for me at this point. I'll hammer a deer with a gun as the season wears on but getting one within 30 yards of me is quite a thrill.

Look into quail hunts if you like walking around with a gun :D Dove hunting public land isn't so bad as folks are (should be) aiming up in the sky. I've done it before and didn't feel like my life was in danger. Although a kid jumped up in front of his seated Dad one morning - that was almost ugly.

Getting out in the woods is a ton of fun. And honestly what got me into the jeep world. Find something you like and have fun with it!

Mudderoy
08-15-2013, 02:42 PM
LOL. Yea, they'll tear up a front end for sure.

For the next few months, that about all I do besides eat, sleep and work just enough to keep my job. Dove and duck hunting is a buttload of fun. You can sit and chat with your buds, enjoy a coldie then start shooting when they get in range.

If you don't like sitting and waiting, then deer hunting is probably not your thing. But to answer your questions you need somewhere to hunt - as mentioned public land can be tricky unless you know some tucked away spots. Feeding with corn and minerals can help establish travel patterns and help hold them in an area. READ: travel patterns. NOT shooting a deer while it stands under a feeder. I had to change leases this year because the manager jumped prices 35% to 1350/gun. And wanted a 4 year contract for 8 guns. We said sorry we can't promise you $40K over the next 4 years. Found a suitable lease for $750 with much better terrain elavation and woods.

You could walk around a look for a deer to shoot, but you're going to piss off anyone around and may get yourself hurt. WHERE ORANGE if you choose to do this.

Been bowhunting for about 3 years now. THAT'S where the fun is for me at this point. I'll hammer a deer with a gun as the season wears on but getting one within 30 yards of me is quite a thrill.

Look into quail hunts if you like walking around with a gun :D

How did you go about finding the lease? Word of mount, online, newspaper?

denverd1
08-15-2013, 02:44 PM
last one I found was on CL. At this point (late in year) it may be tough find one. You should start looking Jan -March as thats when most contracts end. That being said, I was advertising mine until a few days ago and found the new one last week so they can be found. Not sure about whats best to hunt in your area though. Teal has an early season in LA so that may be a good idea too.

Handy with a shotgun? Dove lease I'd jump on. not sure how close this is to ya: http://houston.craigslist.org/spo/4003772275.html

denverd1
08-15-2013, 02:46 PM
Where's webb county? Nice deer on here and MLD3 is good. they're trying to manage it
http://houston.craigslist.org/spo/4001448663.html

There's also sites like this:
http://www.leasehunter.com/?gclid=CMqAzYKcgLkCFdGj4AodAA0ADQ

I think you have to pay a little but will likely be worth it

denverd1
08-15-2013, 02:49 PM
this ones $3000 for 4 guns
http://www.leasehunter.com/content/south-texas-deer-lease-3

Mudderoy
08-15-2013, 02:49 PM
last one I found was on CL. At this point (late in year) it may be tough find one. You should start looking Jan -March as thats when most contracts end. That being said, I was advertising mine until a few days ago and found the new one last week so they can be found. Not sure about whats best to hunt in your area though. Teal has an early season in LA so that may be a good idea too.

Handy with a shotgun? Dove lease I'd jump on. not sure how close this is to ya: http://houston.craigslist.org/spo/4003772275.html

The only full sized shotgun I have is a 28 gauge. It will work, but I'm more interested in shooting the .308. :D

Mudderoy
08-15-2013, 02:51 PM
this ones $3000 for 4 guns
http://www.leasehunter.com/content/south-texas-deer-lease-3

lol you misspelled per. It's $3k PER gun.

denverd1
08-15-2013, 02:52 PM
The only full sized shotgun I have is a 28 gauge. It will work, but I'm more interested in shooting the .308. :D

How many rounds you got through it? Shooting is fun in itself. Surely there's some gun ranges around there where you can blow up some tannerite

OrangeXJ
08-15-2013, 02:57 PM
Where's webb county? Nice deer on here and MLD3 is good. they're trying to manage it
http://houston.craigslist.org/spo/4001448663.html

There's also sites like this:
http://www.leasehunter.com/?gclid=CMqAzYKcgLkCFdGj4AodAA0ADQ

I think you have to pay a little but will likely be worth it

web county is in south texas I think around laredo. A lease like that could eastly be 10k a season

denverd1
08-16-2013, 03:23 PM
As a follow up, your going to need some deer stands to hide in or some sort of ground blind at a minimum. I use trail cameras help with getting patterns established. Then there's camo, cover scent, calls and on and on and on. super fun!

gary63
08-17-2013, 09:02 AM
will around here we drive down trails and when we see what we are looking for we get out and shoot. then the rig it close and don't have to pack very far. the big proble is you need a quite rig becouse they and you can see each other at 200 yards but if you go slow and not to much noise we do fine.:sniper::sniper:

denverd1
08-20-2013, 09:57 AM
will around here we drive down trails and when we see what we are looking for we get out and shoot. then the rig it close and don't have to pack very far. the big proble is you need a quite rig becouse they and you can see each other at 200 yards but if you go slow and not to much noise we do fine.:sniper::sniper:

Wow. If you're on a public road in Texas, you can be arrested and fined for this. In fact, I've heard of Tx Parks and Wildlife setting decoys up right off of roads and ticketing people who stopped and pulled the rifle out and took a shot. :confused: I realize you said trail so I'm assuming these are private. And probably a lot more hills to peak over. Personally, I'd go crazy if there was a chance of someone driving around my lease just trying to jump deer and shoot them while they rest on the hood/door of the truck. To each their own I guess

To me, hunting is about getting out and enjoying nature. Relaxing. You'd be surprised what a couple hours of silence can do for ya after a stressful week. If I get to bag something, its that much better. But definitely not a bad day if I don't. Then there's hanging out at camp with your buds and family.

gary63
08-20-2013, 04:51 PM
I like the hiking and camping but around here we have farms the are like out in the middle of no were and the deer and elk are gracing on the winter wheat and some of the farmers will pay you to hunt on there land. but you have to stay off the feilds with your 4x4 so we drive along side some trails and some not so good trails. so we help them and they help us. we are not on the public road and the guns are not loaded in the trucks.
I do agree with you it is nicer to go up into the MT. and camp and do the hunting but with the cost of a hunting lic. and meat I like getting paid and getting something in the freezer.

cpttuna
08-20-2013, 08:32 PM
I do not know about Texas. I would talk to friends and co-workers. I would get written permission from the land owner to hunt on said property. Scout the property before hunting season for deer signs. Sight your rifle in.last but not least, change your mind and get an out of state Pa hunting license and come hunt on my property.

redneck999
08-20-2013, 08:43 PM
Till the last heart attack i had, i've hunted mostly compound and crossbow. only did shot gun for few years, to me no real sport shooting at something a hundred yards away. I always used topo maps and aerial photos to look for natural trails. I used a little private land but it's hard to come by.Mostly County and State parks, I'm surrounded by 3 of them. A lot of off season walking and a trail camera here and there. Here in Il it sometimes gets too competitive(stolen stands,people screwing around or near your stand) Find the trails and start looking for scrapes from previous seasons or look for trails to water and food plots. Patience and a tree stand or a blind on a hillside and get your doe pee out!

denverd1
08-21-2013, 12:31 AM
lol you misspelled per. It's $3k PER gun.

oh! guess I did.... F. that.

denverd1
08-21-2013, 12:36 AM
Till the last heart attack i had, i've hunted mostly compound and crossbow. only did shot gun for few years, to me no real sport shooting at something a hundred yards away. I always used topo maps and aerial photos to look for natural trails. I used a little private land but it's hard to come by.Mostly County and State parks, I'm surrounded by 3 of them. A lot of off season walking and a trail camera here and there. Here in Il it sometimes gets too competitive(stolen stands,people screwing around or near your stand) Find the trails and start looking for scrapes from previous seasons or look for trails to water and food plots. Patience and a tree stand or a blind on a hillside and get your doe pee out!

Haha!! that reminds me, was showing the wife what doe estrus is. I had some gel form stuff... ended up shooting it in her nose!!:D:drinking::smiley-bounce015::wow::shocker: Thought it was funny as hell, her not so much....

benzy
08-21-2013, 08:22 AM
If you just want to hunt something with the 308, you could probably hunt wild hogs for much less $ than deer in Texas. Wild Boar Tamales don't sound bad???

denverd1
08-21-2013, 10:51 AM
open season, no bag limit. and if you find the right person, they'll pay you to come kill 'em. although most like you to use traps instead of .308. but like I said find the right person.

A client of mine started a "hog hunting business". so he could write off his night vision scope.

redneck999
08-21-2013, 02:22 PM
You can never have too much fun with doe pee! Wives are so trusting! I can still remember the day she opened up the downstairs freezer and found head in a plastic bag, took a few days for forgiveness on that one.

redneck999
08-21-2013, 02:38 PM
Ummmmm maybe a bit too much?

4.3LXJ
08-21-2013, 03:44 PM
I bet it gets ugly at the car wash :D

denverd1
08-21-2013, 03:46 PM
at least you put yours in the freezer! I was procrastinating cutting a rack off a few years ago, left laying on the garage floor in a garbage bag thinking it was cold enough not to be in the freezer. she wasn't very happy when the garage started to smell.

Was reading a book on hunting and a guy cut the tarsal glands out of a doe and left them in his hunting jacket and went out of town for a week. Can't imagine how the house smelled when he got back! :p

redneck999
08-21-2013, 04:12 PM
I grew up hunting with my friends and most of them are straight foreward legit, but everyone has a story or a friend that ends up with someone earning a new nickname that sticks for life, unfortunately that happens more often than not. I made a deal to keep all hunting stuff in small 1 car garage next to the house, lined it with cedar boards and i do my wood working out there. I bought a washer and dryer (old) cheap and i only used it for no scent washing and drying. As for the gland, i tied it to a piece to a piece of fishing line and tied it to my boot so as to drag on the ground to create a scent trail. I forgot and just walked in house and left boots at back door in kitchen, not anymore, smelled like a cat in heat in there when she woke, mama not happy, nobody happy, now they stay outside. Wife got a remove boots sign up on porch.

editedforsafety
08-21-2013, 10:51 PM
Was reading a book on hunting and a guy cut the tarsal glands out of a doe and left them in his hunting jacket and went out of town for a week. Can't imagine how the house smelled when he got back! :p

My dad left a pair of tarsal glands out by his garage a few years back, and our yellow lab mix ate them. Hair and all, didn't leave a scrap

I can't imagine how a dog could think that eating a sebaceous gland that has been getting peed on for years, and left outside for a few early fall days, would be a good idea.

She had to go to the vet, as you can imagine.

redneck999
08-22-2013, 01:45 AM
I used to work building horse drawn carriages and my boss had the nastiest ass dog. Boss bred Belgian Draft horses and that dog would roll around in the afterbirth of anything. You could smell that dog coming and the lingering smell afterwards. God that dog was horrible and was always in the shop.

denverd1
08-22-2013, 08:55 AM
I used to work building horse drawn carriages and my boss had the nastiest ass dog. Boss bred Belgian Draft horses and that dog would roll around in the afterbirth of anything. You could smell that dog coming and the lingering smell afterwards. God that dog was horrible and was always in the shop.

:yack:

Mudderoy
08-22-2013, 08:59 AM
If you just want to hunt something with the 308, you could probably hunt wild hogs for much less $ than deer in Texas. Wild Boar Tamales don't sound bad???

mmmmm wild bacon. That's a great idea, thanks!

Mudderoy
08-22-2013, 09:00 AM
You can never have too much fun with doe pee! Wives are so trusting! I can still remember the day she opened up the downstairs freezer and found head in a plastic bag, took a few days for forgiveness on that one.

Waking up next to it in the bed would have been worse. What movie was that in, "The Deer Hunter"? :P :crazy:

redneck999
08-22-2013, 11:08 AM
Godfather i think. She has become more understanding over the years and i have become more conscientious. Gotta give to get and she believes most of my friends are idiots(i concur). What hasn't been mounted and on the wall is boiled out skulls and on the wall next to hides and racks. My living room is a manly room and the bedroom is hers, A sanctuary of femininity and pillows!

denverd1
08-28-2013, 10:30 AM
Read an article the other day about hunting other people's land - without paying for a lease. Long story short, if no one is hunting the land and you agree to whatever they ask of you (no early mornings or no bucks for example) a lot of people don't mind if you take a couple deer off of it. I immediately thought of about 1200 acres that I could probably hunt this year. Gives me tags in another county (at least 2 additional deer) and its in my backyard. 20 minutes from the house. Will probably go set it up this wknd. :xj-red:

redneck999
08-28-2013, 12:58 PM
Here in Ill it's hard 'cause just about all farmland has someone with some sort of agreement that it's all spoken for, guys around here are very greedy. Unfortunately most are just trophy hunters and aren't concerned with filling the freezer until late in the season when the season is almost over, then they just dont want to eat the tags. Here a farmer can apply for a nuisance permit and they can pop deer all year long. It gets abused all the time. Getting hard to find ethical hunters, the IDR did away with physical check stations and now you just call in.