PDA

View Full Version : Engine Swap Lists?

Infidel Edition
08-13-2013, 09:58 AM
I know a lot of jeep'ers swap out the stock engine for the Chevy Vortec.
...is that a bolt in swap? or is there other modifications and fabrications required?

My engine is still running strong ~ but down the road, it may drop a duce :headbag: and it may become cheaper to swap it than to fix it. Others may already be there...

And since I've gotten a lot of good info from the junkyard parts list, I was wondering if there was an Engine List?
* Swapping the 4.0 from my '89 to a 4.0 from a '98 for example is a bolt in + wiring harness...
~ would that be the same for an inline 6 out of a '95 Grand Cherokee? And if that's the case, what about the V8? Not that I would want to cram that in...

And if there isn't a list out there, who's done what? and What was required (in a nutshell) beyond "bolting it in"?

4.3LXJ
08-13-2013, 10:57 AM
Engine swaps are a lot of work. It is not ever a bolt in with a Jeep. You can get adapter mounts etc. The real work is all the little stuff like cooling, throttle cables, exhaust, gauges etc.

Infidel Edition
08-13-2013, 02:16 PM
I assumed motor mount adapters...
but those are bolt in.

I just don't like cutting and welding to make things fit.

4.3LXJ
08-13-2013, 04:32 PM
You are also in Portland. Better check the emission laws there first

Infidel Edition
08-13-2013, 04:54 PM
Oddly enough...
The emissions are only required in Portland Metro area.
If I register it a few miles south at my sisters house (not even 10 miles south), there are none.
:confused:

But wait! There's more.
As a Vet with a "service disability status", I can get a lifetime plate with no DEQ req's ever again.
...that includes a "less than 10%" status too. As long as I get a letter stating that the VA recognizes my injury.
Which is in the process. :out:

denverd1
08-13-2013, 05:00 PM
talked with a guy the put a 302 in his TJ. said there wasn't much to it other than mounts and adapters. they're a dime a dozen and can make some good torque with the right cam and little head work. Ithought it would be a nightmare, he said it wan't that bad.

Mudderoy
08-19-2013, 11:24 PM
talked with a guy the put a 302 in his TJ. said there wasn't much to it other than mounts and adapters. they're a dime a dozen and can make some good torque with the right cam and little head work. Ithought it would be a nightmare, he said it wan't that bad.

msmoorenburg makes comments like "it isn't bad" too. It really depends on the individual and their skill level. ;)

4.3LXJ
08-20-2013, 12:00 AM
Isn't too bad needs a discussion of things like AC, cruise, power steering and especially smog regs. If it is old school carburated V8 from a kit, no problem

denverd1
08-20-2013, 10:51 AM
Isn't too bad needs a discussion of things like AC, cruise, power steering and especially smog regs. If it is old school carburated V8 from a kit, no problem

wouldn't most of this stuff bolt right up to the front of it?

The guy I talked to happened to have a blueprinted 302 sitting around so it obviously made sense for him.

4.3LXJ
08-20-2013, 11:10 AM
When you get to AC, not all the pumps are in the right place for instance. And the GM pumps are junk and will not last on a Jeep system plus custom hoses. Custom hoses most times for power steering too. Throttle cable can be a challenge. Air filters and intake also will need some fabbing. Exhaust is a given. Cooling system will need some attention no matter what. See what I mean?

denverd1
08-20-2013, 12:24 PM
I do!

cantab27
08-20-2013, 01:02 PM
but can be done ....if ya have the will any mod can be done .....very common to change out the oil burning diesels ricers down here for LS1 , not so common for the xj ..in saying that mate has a 5.7 sitting there waiting to go in to his xj , ...ac no problems in the tj ......just throw it away...:D

http://imageshack.us/scaled/medium/560/2h3z.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/560/2h3z.jpg/)

denverd1
08-21-2013, 10:42 AM
:sign0181:

That's what I'm talkin about!!!

What's he got for tires? Could spin anything with that!

cantab27
08-21-2013, 12:43 PM
40 inch ......its on here somewhere ...big red thing .....

Infidel Edition
08-21-2013, 01:14 PM
40 inch ......its on here somewhere ...big red thing .....

:keegirl::keegirl:
you said, "big red thing"

07Negative
08-21-2013, 02:41 PM
Though I shouldn't be thinking of the idea. I still can't help myself. I have 325K miles and from what I've heard and read. Doing a stroker motor isn't worth the while. I met Steve a few years ago and thought his 4.3L was a killer idea and his setup is nice and well done. But Steve has skills beyond my imagination. Plus the tools. I also like this cat FrankZ and what he did with his (still trying to figure out how he did those damn fender flares). But here is a great read.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1007477

4.3LXJ
08-21-2013, 03:42 PM
Frank has some skills too :D

denverd1
08-21-2013, 04:05 PM
cool mod with the 5.3L. didn't read it all, looks pretty involved

07Negative
08-22-2013, 01:38 AM
Personally I would say its very involved. The cooling, electrical, and gauges seemed like the biggest PITA than anything. I'd be afraid I'd be wicked eger and take on this kinda task and end up frustrated and just abandon the project. But curiosity is itching. The info & tech support is out there. There's this stuff called money, time, & friends that I lack.

Infidel Edition
08-22-2013, 09:18 AM
I had a '69 K5 before my XJ that I swapped a '95 Police Edition 350 in there.
...much easier as the stock engine was a 350...

But still a PITA (at my skill level) to get the fuel lines and pump... and computer work... and wiring...
Minor cutting and welding for tranny/transfer case mods...

But it ran like a MoFo!

Weight to gain ratio in an XJ!
That'd be reDonkUlus:workout::workout::workout: