PDA

View Full Version : Water pump decisions

XJ Wheeler
08-12-2013, 05:00 PM
For a while my cooling system hasn't been working at its best. I've changed the radiator, thermostat, upper and lower hoses, radiator cap, and have run distilled water in a few drain and refills to help clean it out some (its quite rusty in there). Alas, i think its probably best to change out the water pump. I do believe its probably the original also, so doing so wouldn't be a bad thing.

Now, I've read/watched numerous accounts of changing the pump and wanted some opinions. There are a few options.

(1) Go original type replacement like this NEW pump from autozone. Which has a lifetime warranty and if i need to replace it down the road it should be no hassle. Plus the price is nice.

http://m.autozone.com/autozone-mobile/en/parts/1992-Jeep-Cherokee-4WD/Water-Pump/_/N-iwsyaZ93xmn?id=22905

Advance has an Omix-Ada pump but is more expensive, and only has a 1 year warranty.

http://m.advanceautoparts.com/mt/shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_water-pump-87-01-4-0l-xj-93-97-4-0l-zj-omix-ada_10185708-p?searchTerm=water+pump

(2) Hesco High Flow water pump. This one has only good things said about it but has the astronomical price tag to go along with it. I just can't see spending this much.

http://www.hescosc.com/products/7967/high-flow-water-pumps/45086/1987-2001-jeep-cherokee-and-comanche-high-flow-water-pump-hf58-455#.UglVKPdZ7hc

(3) Flowkooler high flow water pump. Less pricey but have heard of the impeller coming off the shaft.

http://www.flowkoolerwaterpumps.com/store/Water-Pumps-Jeep-CID:-242/4.0L/c21_34_161/p205/Water-Pump:-1748%3Cbr%3EJeep,-Dodge%3Cbr%3E(1991-2002)/product_info.html

Both the Hesco and Flowkooler have shorter warranties at 1-2 years i believe, and seem well... picky about what they will even warranty.

So, are these "performance" water pumps necessary? Or just a high priced, shiny piece of metal? I feel sure the factory type replacement pumps are adequate but when building these jeeps we try to improve whatever we are doing... Also, if anyone has had experience with a particular pump i would greatly appreciate knowing, both good or bad. I will say that lifetime warranty is looking good. :p

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

gary63
08-12-2013, 06:39 PM
will the life time one wouldn't be bad if it last but so far we have 2 guys around here that have gone though 3 for 1guy and 5 for the other guy they are seeing how many they will get . The worst part about it is they have gone out 2 times each on trail runs. So what it your time worth and how far are you from home if it goes out.

XJ Wheeler
08-12-2013, 07:49 PM
will the life time one wouldn't be bad if it last but so far we have 2 guys around here that have gone though 3 for 1guy and 5 for the other guy they are seeing how many they will get . The worst part about it is they have gone out 2 times each on trail runs. So what it your time worth and how far are you from home if it goes out.

Yeah, quality is still my priority. I don't want to be replacing this in 6 months.

cpttuna
08-12-2013, 09:25 PM
I have replaced water pumps in two of the family cherokees. (both 01) and original pumps. The gasket wasgoing bad in the one and it was leaking. The other was fine. I chose to have my mechanic do the second right after the first while his memory was fresh. I used NAPA for my pumps. (no problems to date).

xj4life2
08-12-2013, 09:56 PM
Had a hesco on mine , ran it till I sold it and as far as know its still on there, the quality and higher flow makes it worth the price differance in my opinion. On a side note, you said the one in there is a original ? So its what 11 yrs old? and still not leaking , no brg noise ? things that make ya go hmmmmmmm.

XJ Wheeler
08-12-2013, 11:46 PM
Well, as much as i would like the Hesco i just can't fit it into my budget. That's just how its gonna have to be and i probably should have left it out of this. Lol I'll probably get one later on when i build the engine more.

I checked into Napa (i always seem to forget them, probably because i don't have one down the road) and found two real options. A new standard duty pump, and a reman severe duty unit. Now they don't say what makes it severe duty though. But both offer lifetime warranties. Hmmm, more to think on.

Mark, i'm sorry but i don't get what you mean with the "Hmmmmmm". And mine's a '92 so its 21 years old. I assumed its the original because i got the jeep 9 years ago and it didn't look near new then. :eek:

Mudderoy
08-13-2013, 10:30 AM
For a while my cooling system hasn't been working at its best. I've changed the radiator, thermostat, upper and lower hoses, radiator cap, and have run distilled water in a few drain and refills to help clean it out some (its quite rusty in there). Alas, i think its probably best to change out the water pump. I do believe its probably the original also, so doing so wouldn't be a bad thing.

Now, I've read/watched numerous accounts of changing the pump and wanted some opinions. There are a few options.

(1) Go original type replacement like this NEW pump from autozone. Which has a lifetime warranty and if i need to replace it down the road it should be no hassle. Plus the price is nice.

http://m.autozone.com/autozone-mobile/en/parts/1992-Jeep-Cherokee-4WD/Water-Pump/_/N-iwsyaZ93xmn?id=22905

Advance has an Omix-Ada pump but is more expensive, and only has a 1 year warranty.

http://m.advanceautoparts.com/mt/shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_water-pump-87-01-4-0l-xj-93-97-4-0l-zj-omix-ada_10185708-p?searchTerm=water+pump

(2) Hesco High Flow water pump. This one has only good things said about it but has the astronomical price tag to go along with it. I just can't see spending this much.

http://www.hescosc.com/products/7967/high-flow-water-pumps/45086/1987-2001-jeep-cherokee-and-comanche-high-flow-water-pump-hf58-455#.UglVKPdZ7hc

(3) Flowkooler high flow water pump. Less pricey but have heard of the impeller coming off the shaft.

http://www.flowkoolerwaterpumps.com/store/Water-Pumps-Jeep-CID:-242/4.0L/c21_34_161/p205/Water-Pump:-1748%3Cbr%3EJeep,-Dodge%3Cbr%3E(1991-2002)/product_info.html

Both the Hesco and Flowkooler have shorter warranties at 1-2 years i believe, and seem well... picky about what they will even warranty.

So, are these "performance" water pumps necessary? Or just a high priced, shiny piece of metal? I feel sure the factory type replacement pumps are adequate but when building these jeeps we try to improve whatever we are doing... Also, if anyone has had experience with a particular pump i would greatly appreciate knowing, both good or bad. I will say that lifetime warranty is looking good. :p

It took me about two weeks and about 3 times to get all that rusty crap out of the cooling system on the 99. I recommend getting all that out before it starts silting up your new radiator.

xj4life2
08-13-2013, 12:18 PM
Well, as much as i would like the Hesco i just can't fit it into my budget. That's just how its gonna have to be and i probably should have left it out of this. Lol I'll probably get one later on when i build the engine more.

I checked into Napa (i always seem to forget them, probably because i don't have one down the road) and found two real options. A new standard duty pump, and a reman severe duty unit. Now they don't say what makes it severe duty though. But both offer lifetime warranties. Hmmm, more to think on.

Mark, i'm sorry but i don't get what you mean with the "Hmmmmmm". And mine's a '92 so its 21 years old. I assumed its the original because i got the jeep 9 years ago and it didn't look near new then. :eek:

sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

First of all I apologize for the math but it was early :) My thought was if a factory has lasted that long why not replace it with a factory pump?, I'm not sure but I would assume there still available and if within reason I would think a factory new pump might be the way to go. Just a thought

XJ Wheeler
08-13-2013, 04:36 PM
First of all I apologize for the math but it was early :) My thought was if a factory has lasted that long why not replace it with a factory pump?, I'm not sure but I would assume there still available and if within reason I would think a factory new pump might be the way to go. Just a thought

No worries. ;)

I thought that's what you were saying, just didn't want to assume. I also think a factory pump would be a good idea but have yet to find a good source and i'm sure that the stealership wouldn't be cheap if they even have it.

If anyone knows of a good place for a factory pump i would greatly appreciate it.

It took me about two weeks and about 3 times to get all that rusty crap out of the cooling system on the 99. I recommend getting all that out before it starts silting up your new radiator.

I've tried. I think it has probably had tap water ran in it and would probably take a thorough bath to clean it out. :D

Brasscatz
08-13-2013, 05:54 PM
If anyone knows of a good place for a factory pump i would greatly appreciate it.

I'm having a hard time finding an actual part number and the links don't take you straight to the part, but check this place out and you can enter in your Jeep's info and find them. http://oem.factorymoparparts.com/mopar-parts-catalog

XJ Wheeler
08-13-2013, 06:35 PM
I'm having a hard time finding an actual part number and the links don't take you straight to the part, but check this place out and you can enter in your Jeep's info and find them. http://oem.factorymoparparts.com/mopar-parts-catalog

Thanks bro. Shows to be $71 shipped.

Have you ever ordered from them? They don't have pictures, part numbers, or much info at all. Lol. And they seem very picky about their warranty.

Brasscatz
08-13-2013, 06:53 PM
The only thing I ordered from factorymoparparts.com was a radiator. I don't have any complaints so far. Here's another one to check out as well. http://allmoparparts.com/

XJ Wheeler
08-13-2013, 07:48 PM
My brain hurts. I've literally looked at about 30 water pumps.

xj4life2
08-13-2013, 09:50 PM
According to All Data the part number is JR775122 and the retail price is $58.00, you might want to call your local boys and check it out. If its really $58.00 thats sounds like a good way to go.

XJ Wheeler
08-14-2013, 02:27 AM
According to All Data the part number is JR775122 and the retail price is $58.00, you might want to call your local boys and check it out. If its really $58.00 thats sounds like a good way to go.

I'll call tomorrow and see. That would nice if it is.

BlueXJ
08-14-2013, 12:19 PM
I got mine from eBay and paid $30 shipped. It has worked for two years with no problems. Now that I have said that it will fail tomorrow.

xj4life2
08-14-2013, 06:03 PM
After further investigation that number has been superseded to a VL #. That means that MOPAR is buying the pump from an outside supplier and re boxing it. So its just as good as any other pump and probably will last just as long, all that for $85.00. So if it were me I would now go with the longest and best warranty you can find. I know its not much consolation but getting it replaced for free is better than having to buy another. Good luck my friend !!!!

XJ Wheeler
08-14-2013, 10:05 PM
After further investigation that number has been superseded to a VL #. That means that MOPAR is buying the pump from an outside supplier and re boxing it. So its just as good as any other pump and probably will last just as long, all that for $85.00. So if it were me I would now go with the longest and best warranty you can find. I know its not much consolation but getting it replaced for free is better than having to buy another. Good luck my friend !!!!

That's what i read, and napa is one of the ones made by the same factory as the oem. I called the two closest dealers and the best price was $83.35. Also, they said the part number was now V9900083. For anyone who's looking. So, knowing that I've decided to go with napa. They're $33.65 and have a lifetime warranty. Figure i can't beat that. Gonna replace the inlet tube, thermostat, and belt at the same time. The only brand belt i even recognize at local stores is gates. I guess that's the one.

Thanks everyone for the help. Mark, appreciate all your effort and the part number. I was able to use that to find more info.

F1Addict
08-17-2013, 10:58 PM
I think you'll be happy with the NAPA pump. I put one in last year after my original started leaking from the weep hole and haven't had any problems... at least with the pump. There have obviously been other problems, it's a Cherokee.

Carves
08-18-2013, 12:06 AM
Some out of date, google info, suggests the NAPA waterpump is a repackaged Gates pump.

Any hints as to whether thats still the case ??

XJ Wheeler
08-18-2013, 12:58 AM
Some out of date, google info, suggests the NAPA waterpump is a repackaged Gates pump.

I'll look for any signs of it. I also read the factory part is a repackaged Napa. :smiley-laughing021: I guess someone's selling to more than one. :rolleyes:

XJ Wheeler
08-20-2013, 05:13 AM

Looks like you heard right mate.