PDA

View Full Version : Shift linkeage repair

rockersalsa
08-11-2013, 03:53 PM
the shift linkeage broke on our 91 xj. I have the replacement part but it didn't come with instructions. anybody know how to change a shift linkeage or have a link to instructions. pictures would be helpful. thanks

Brasscatz
08-11-2013, 09:40 PM
Closest I could find:

Step 2: Remove linkage from shifter assembly. This takes two steps. First you need to squeeze the connectors that are holding onto the assembly and push them back towards the firewall. I found that removing these first gives you some leverage later in removing the main connectors to the gear shifting assembly.

Step 3: Remove cap from left linkage connector and gently push it away from the ball joint until it pops off. Do it delicately so it doesn't' break off!

Step 4: Pull towards you, or back towards the back of the vehicle on the right hand linkage. This linkage is held on by the tension of the wire pulling on it. DO NOT TRY AND PRY IT OFF. I was able to remove mine by pulling it backwards while placing a screw driver in the shifter mechanism to prevent it from moving. Pulling it backwards should pop it off. This was the hardest one for me.

This is where I got the info from:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/how-remove-install-xj-shifter-linkage-1223036/

rockersalsa
08-13-2013, 12:26 PM
thank you for the help but what broke on mine is underneath by the drive shaft still part of the linkage I think but maybe im calling it by the wrong name. right now its being held together by a couple zip ties.

Brasscatz
08-13-2013, 12:39 PM
Is it the part where the rod connects to the lever on the transmission?

4.3LXJ
08-13-2013, 05:33 PM
We need pics

rockersalsa
08-14-2013, 01:45 PM
yes that's where it came apart