PDA

View Full Version : Is an XJ worth building up now?

ArmyGuy45
08-09-2013, 12:21 PM
I know that suspension parts and axle parts will always be there so that is not in question. What I want to know is how do we replace the 4.0L, AW4 and the T Case? I know we can pull them from a junk yard but that is an unknown condition, unknown miles and unknown sit time parts and a limited supply of them. With "cash for clunkers" I think a lot of our 4.0s were destroyed. So is it worth it to build a XJ or jump to a newer Jeep so there are parts still available?

bluedragon436
08-09-2013, 12:40 PM
Nope, you should def just go ahead and send it to me for parts... and get a newer one!! LOL.. JK... I would say they are still viable to build... I mean I found a few decent shaped XJ, ZJ, and TJ's on CL for a pretty cheap price where the body was hit by rust, but the engine, trans and TC were still in good shape with relatively low mileage.... so I mean you can always hit up CL for a parts vehicle, maybe even stock up on some parts like say spare TC's since that'd probably be the part you'd blow out the most if you wheel hard... well other than the axles... I have been able to find quite a few XJ's and ZJ's in different conditions that were not there due to the cash for clunkers deal.. that have pulled the engine or trans out of them for other people's Jeeps...

bigjim350
08-09-2013, 05:35 PM
You can still buy all new parts for the motor trans and tcase. As far as I know there isn't a part you can't get new.

Sent from my SPH-L300 using Tapatalk 2

Brasscatz
08-09-2013, 05:46 PM
That would be cool if you bought EVERY single part brand new.... then you would have your own "2014 XJ" :P

4x4Dalton
08-09-2013, 06:47 PM
Yea I would stick with the XJ. Even if the parts take time to find its still easier to work on.

Carves
08-09-2013, 06:49 PM
Probably depends on the level of building up and the use it will get.

Originally, I intended to replace the other XJ and go back to a 1984 toyota HJ47 ... but after much costing appraisals ... the cost of bringing an old rusty wornout Troopy back up to general use quality was enormous .... not too mention the timeframe involved.

So I bought another $6000 XJ - for the price of a, quality, diesel fuel injector system rebuild .. :rolleyes: ... and it was useable/abuseable, for 5yrs with nothing more than a cooling system rebuild.

A used, 6k XJ down here - is probably equivalent to a $3k craigslist one .. ;)

Even with new, complete diffs, and low mileage gearbox/t'fer case ... and a bunch of other planned refurbishments ... It will still be miles cheaper than my toyota plan.

Biggest trick appears to be knowing ... which of the "new", stock, parts available from the manufacturers ... is worth fitting ... quality wise. ;)

Only drawback with my decision ... is the storage/sleeping space difference between an XJ and the Troopy ... and the PTO winch on the Troopy.

ArmyGuy45
08-10-2013, 12:59 AM
Probably depends on the level of building up and the use it will get.

Originally, I intended to replace the other XJ and go back to a 1984 toyota HJ47 ... but after much costing appraisals ... the cost of bringing an old rusty wornout Troopy back up to general use quality was enormous .... not too mention the timeframe involved.

So I bought another $6000 XJ - for the price of a, quality, diesel fuel injector system rebuild .. :rolleyes: ... and it was useable/abuseable, for 5yrs with nothing more than a cooling system rebuild.

A used, 6k XJ down here - is probably equivalent to a $3k craigslist one .. ;)

Even with new, complete diffs, and low mileage gearbox/t'fer case ... and a bunch of other planned refurbishments ... It will still be miles cheaper than my toyota plan.

Biggest trick appears to be knowing ... which of the "new", stock, parts available from the manufacturers ... is worth fitting ... quality wise. ;)

Only drawback with my decision ... is the storage/sleeping space difference between an XJ and the Troopy ... and the PTO winch on the Troopy.

This is kinda where I am at. I can keep the XJ (Paid off) and build it and have fun but they are small SUV so space is limited. Also if it gets lost or broken thats out of pocket for all the parts I put in since its not a part of the vechicle. This XJ gets the same gas mileage as a truck and a truck would give me more space and more towing but take up more in the garage and more in the trails. Decisions decisions decisions.

Mudderoy
08-10-2013, 07:42 AM
One thing a vehicle that hasn't been made in 13 years can do... stand out on the road and the trails, because there are fewer of them on the road every day.

editedforsafety
08-10-2013, 07:49 AM
They made a lot of XJs over the years, and there are a lot on the road still.

I do this weird thing where I pick a model of a vehicle and try to spot 10 of them in my 4 mile drive to work. XJs are one of the easier vehicles to consistently spot close to 10. I don't worry about parts availability.

Mudderoy
08-10-2013, 07:54 AM
They made a lot of XJs over the years, and there are a lot on the road still.

I do this weird thing where I pick a model of a vehicle and try to spot 10 of them in my 4 mile drive to work. XJs are one of the easier vehicles to consistently spot close to 10. I don't worry about parts availability.

In one of our interviews on the XJ TALK SHOW! Matt Adair(sp?) did mention that they were changing from the 4.0L engine to a V8 in their racing XJ because finding 4.0 was getting hard.

They went thru several 4.0's due to oil starvation. The oil was on the side of the pan too much. ;)

4.3LXJ
08-10-2013, 10:19 AM
This is kinda where I am at. I can keep the XJ (Paid off) and build it and have fun but they are small SUV so space is limited. Also if it gets lost or broken thats out of pocket for all the parts I put in since its not a part of the vechicle. This XJ gets the same gas mileage as a truck and a truck would give me more space and more towing but take up more in the garage and more in the trails. Decisions decisions decisions.

All this stuff fits in the back of the XJ with some room to spare. You might be surprised at how much they can hold

XJ Wheeler
08-10-2013, 04:14 PM
I think, as of right now, there's still plenty parts available. Last time i was at the jy there was around five XJs and about the same ZJs. And the aftermarket seems to be producing more products for them in the recent years. But... as these age, more get scrapped, wrecked, worn, and there numbers will become smaller. That's when parts will become harder to find. And i think about 10-15 years it will most likely be much harder. Maybe, just maybe, the XJ will be one of those immortalized autos like the '67-'69 camaro, '70 chevelle, et cetera that have plenty parts still being made.

I plan on keeping mine forever, just imagine how hard it will be in 50 years. :eek:

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

dagod16
08-10-2013, 07:09 PM
Well if it's running good then why ever get rid of it. You paid big bucks for it then milk it dry of all life. 200K 300K and 400K if it will let you reach that goal. I'm about to hit 200K and then it's off to 300K. So I'm not to worried. Unless the tranny or a head gasket goes I think I will make it.

From what I read I can go 300 to 400K on the head gasket and tranny is not crazy thinking.

nickyg
08-10-2013, 08:55 PM
a truck would give me more space and more towing.

My XJ tows this boat around with no problem. The ramp where I put it in is pretty steep too.

4.3LXJ
08-10-2013, 09:33 PM
I haven't said too much about this since I am not the typical type XJ owner. But for what it is worth, I have a beater pickup as a work truck that I bought cheap and just refuses to die. I have the XJ for another purpose. It is a daily driver, weekend wheeler, and overland camping rig. If you think you need new rigs, then buy the pickup and a JK. But the days of straight axle rigs is fast coming to a close. You will be stuck with Jeep as wheeling rigs or Dodge pickups. Ford is headed to IFS on its trucks too now. So if I want a rig for my purposes, I can buy a new full size JK or keep the XJ. If you compare the price of a built XJ and new JK, it makes economic sense to keep the XJ. As far as wrecking yard parts go, yes engines are getting a little hard to find that will go another 100K. But that is what an automotive machine shop is for, and transmission shops. Lets say you put 3K in an engine and tranny, another 1K in HVAC and door seals and power door stuff, you are still far ahead of the game compared to a new rig. And to be honest, I just had this conversation with a guy up in the hills last weekend. He had a new Rubicon and said he thought I ought to get one if I could afford it. Well, I cannot afford to wheel something that costs that much. So I rebuild the XJ and keep it running and still have enough left over to have fun

ArmyGuy45
08-11-2013, 02:19 AM
All very good advice so sticking with the XJ doesnt seem like a bad idea. Though having a spare XJ seems like a smarter choice the more I read about this stuff.

gary63
08-11-2013, 09:10 AM
as for finding parts I have been looking around just to see so far I can find everything some were exsept for the uniframe that is a wy thing so if you can find or maintain the fram you will be good.

dagod16
08-11-2013, 02:41 PM
Ya know we all get discouraged from time to time about getting some repairs done and the cost. Vehicles are expensive. I'm not sure when the last time you drove through a dealer lot was but 4 door sedan cars are 25K to 30K and my kids and I on a bike ride the other night saw a truck sticker for $64,900 bucks. Who the hell can afford the payments, not the average worker!!.

Your jeep will tow 5000 pounds, get the kids in the back, your not lacking horse power and 20 mpg is ok but will work. All you need to do is buy gas. $

Ive spent about $2500 on repairs over the last 13 years. I'm at 195K. Most of that was prevention repairs. I needed a new radiator, so I also at home did the water pump and the hoses and thermostat, heatcore and evap coil and I just got better and better at taking care of them and doing my own work. A tool here and their and pretty soon I can do a lot!!!!

Ive taken 3 trips from central IL to Sixflags Stloius and back and we are making one more trip in a few days. I have had no jeep payment for 7 years. I've done all the work on my XJ and I know what is new and what needs work. My jeep runs great. I don't see any reason why I can't put another 100,000 payment free miles on it. It's my only vehicle. If the tranny gets me to 250K or 275K I will be seriously impressed but I will still not get rid of my XJ. As long as the engine holds out, which it should then its paid for transportation.

IF you take care of the engine and tranny then you should never need a replacement. Your tranny shop will rebuild your tranny if needed.