PDA

View Full Version : 1994 XJ starter relay problem

r111rdody
08-08-2013, 02:49 PM
after solving a problems, now my xj have a problem to start. :confused:

problems starts a week ago. when i'm turn on key to start the engine, i only heard a clicking sound (i think thats starter selenoid sound) but no crank.

i tried to replace the starter relay with the spare i have, and the engine starts normaly. but the problem repeat in just 2-3 days. the relays seem bad after 2-3 days (about 10 cranks).

anybody have any experience with this problem? is the starter selenoid is bad? or any problem causing that?

4.3LXJ
08-08-2013, 04:23 PM
Are we talking about the relay on the firewall or the solenoid on the starter?

r111rdody
08-08-2013, 04:32 PM
Are we talking about the relay on the firewall or the solenoid on the starter?
what i mean is the relay on the fuse box on the firewall keep breakig up. when it's start to bad, i only hear clicking (selenoid sound) but no crank.

4.3LXJ
08-08-2013, 04:37 PM
That is the problem I had last weekend. Here is a small test. Take the wire off that goes to the starter. Touch it to the large post and make sure metal makes contact. The starter should engage. If it only clicks, check your battery connections and make sure they are clean.

r111rdody
08-08-2013, 04:43 PM
That is the problem I had last weekend. Here is a small test. Take the wire off that goes to the starter. Touch it to the large post and make sure metal makes contact. The starter should engage. If it only clicks, check your battery connections and make sure they are clean.
thank 4.3LXJ.
what you mean of the large post? is the battery post?
today i'll check for battery connections and see if it's the problem.

4.3LXJ
08-08-2013, 04:52 PM
Your starter relay should look like this

http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu215/warriorsuspension/starter_motor_relay1_199c.gif

r111rdody
08-08-2013, 04:56 PM
Your starter relay should look like this

http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu215/warriorsuspension/starter_motor_relay1_199c.gif
i'll check it today, and see it on my xj.

thanks 4.3LXJ, i'll update soon. :)

r111rdody
07-16-2014, 07:20 AM
sorry for very late update. since i'm not using my xj for a long time.

a week ago, i change the battery and the battery clamp with cheap gold color battery clamp i got from car audio shop. i change the clamp because after change the battery, my xj still can't start normaly.

i cut the cable from old battery clamp and put on the new clamp, now my xj start normal again. i also clean a ground cable with sand paper to make sure the ground it's ok.

i'm happy with the result of changing the battery & the battery clamp. now i think the engine runs better. :)

XJ Wheeler
07-16-2014, 05:16 PM
sorry for very late update. since i'm not using my xj for a long time.

a week ago, i change the battery and the battery clamp with cheap gold color battery clamp i got from car audio shop. i change the clamp because after change the battery, my xj still can't start normaly.

i cut the cable from old battery clamp and put on the new clamp, now my xj start normal again. i also clean a ground cable with sand paper to make sure the ground it's ok.

i'm happy with the result of changing the battery & the battery clamp. now i think the engine runs better. :)

Awesome, glad you got it fixed! And no worries on the time, thanks for posting the solution.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

r111rdody
07-17-2014, 04:41 AM
Awesome, glad you got it fixed! And no worries on the time, thanks for posting the solution.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.
thank you XJ Wheeler :)