PDA

View Full Version : AW4 replacement

KeZu01
08-07-2013, 01:40 PM
My first post here!
Been 4wheeling for awhile, but got my first jeep for the wife just recently.
2001 Xj, 4.0, aw4, 4wd. 180k miles about.

I have done alot of recent maintenance, then 3 months into having it it slips like tranny is out bad. Apparently it has never been serviced from looking at color of fluid, which now smells awful burnt. Its also gotten pretty low despite being tip top level just a few weeks ago. My fault for not checking more periodically, but I never really drive it so don't think about it.

Anyway, trans seems toast to me. Picking up a new aw4 out of a 99 w 93k miles for $300 bucks today. Seemed fair with 3 month warranty.

Question is, are there any write-ups out there for replacing this trans in the xj?
I have pulled engines, but never did a trans. Seems straightforward and I will have help from a friend who swaps trans on full body drag cars all the time.

Anyone know of any good write-up threads here or elsewhere?

thanks.

msmoorenburg
08-07-2013, 02:15 PM
its not much harder than a standard turbo 350 tranny. You only need a inverted torq in the 10mm size for the top 2 bolts. Just a side note verify the rpm sensor on the new tranny. You can pull the rear sensor to and match up to yours. If different you will need to swap them out (99 was a mid year)

http://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/m639/sellitx/speedsensors.jpg (http://s1135.photobucket.com/user/sellitx/media/speedsensors.jpg.html)

4.3LXJ
08-07-2013, 02:47 PM
Fairly straight forward. We don't really have a write up on it. The only special thing was mentioned by Matt

Brasscatz
08-07-2013, 06:31 PM
It's really helpful to have a transmission jack... those things are HEAVY! I had a friend crack several ribs when he used his chest as a tranny jack... no bueno

KeZu01
08-09-2013, 11:21 AM
Thanks guys,

I actually put off picking up the tranny till today.
I will look at the rpm sensors in the back, thanks for the tip msmoorenburg.
I take that it just goes into the case by the output shaft there? Is it the blue one then?

Removal will be today, and we will have a trans jack, wish me luck.

msmoorenburg
08-09-2013, 01:04 PM
yes the sensor is teal in color