PDA

View Full Version : Drive shaft and sye

undercovertreehugger
08-07-2013, 10:51 AM
ok so here is yet another one of my 21 questions........if i run a 6.5in lift do i need to run a longer drive shaft or a sye i have heard some say yes and some say no is there anybody that can clarify the answer

reddragon72
08-07-2013, 11:04 AM
It's a good idea to. plain and simple.

Now do you have to, no you can get away with a drop bracket on the transfer case. However if you have a soft rear suspension and you smash the brakes hard you run a small risk of dropping the slip yoke off the shaft.

I put on a 4.5" lift and no TC drop and blew the back of my transfer case and the shaft and the yoke on the pumpkin to pieces. I was on the freeway and the truck in front of me dropped some crap out of the back and I smashed my brakes and the slip yoke hit the end of the shack and blew everything up.

So at 4.5 inches of lift with out a TC drop is bad news. so I figure 6.5 with a TC might be bad news.

Also a SYE can make it way easier to kill off drive line vibrations.

Mudderoy
08-07-2013, 11:08 AM
ok so here is yet another one of my 21 questions........if i run a 6.5in lift do i need to run a longer drive shaft or a sye i have heard some say yes and some say no is there anybody that can clarify the answer

I think the correct answer is "it depends". The 97+ XJs seem to have more of an issue with drive line vibrations, than the earlier models.

We have one member with a 6.5" RC lift and no transfer case drop. No vibrations.

4.3LXJ
08-07-2013, 11:15 AM
On the 01 you will need the SYE. Longer driveline will depend on whose SYE you use. The HacknTap should be able to use the front driveline from an XJ with auto tranny. If you use an Advance Adapters SYE, which has a shorter output shaft, then yes you will need a longer CV driveshaft. Any SYE will need a new driveshaft anyway because it is a different type of shaft. If you use a tcase drop, then you may be able to get away with it on the 01. They are finicky about that due to the long tcase output shaft anyway.

reddragon72
08-07-2013, 11:33 AM
My point was to pull focus away from the vibs and to the very real danger of dropping the shaft out. I am not the only one that this has happened to but it seems that drive vibs are what people focus on the most. I have no rear vibs but the TC drop is a must on my rig due to the yoke falling out.