PDA

View Full Version : Why are some used car salesman such lying scum???

alex673
08-06-2013, 09:11 PM
Hi all.
About 8 months ago, my wife was after a second-hand 7 seater van to run the kids around in. Her old Nissan Pulsar, even though it was in excellent condition, was too small, and she was having problems driving it due to a medical condition.
To cut a long story short, we ended up buying a 2nd hand 2005 Kia Carnival (Sedona, in the US) from a used car yard.
We took it for a test drive, and it drove nicely. The wife could drive it confidently, and it didn't make any major noises. The dealer told us that it had been recently serviced, and had the statutory 3 month warranty.
Fast forward to 6 weeks ago, and the rear main seal went. It was quite unexpected. One minute there was no leak. Then there was a major one, all within a 24 hour period.
We had that fixed, and a couple of days ago, another seal went. We sent the car on a flat-bed to a major Kia dealership, and it turns out the engine is on it's last legs! The top is full of carbon, and it rattles and bumps like mad. The mechanic reckons whoever owned it first never serviced it, and the yard we bought it off did a dodgy and "fixed" the noises, and not the problem...:bang: Now my wife is probably the most careful and "quiet" driver I have ever met, so I KNOW she didn't do this damage!!!We were guaranteed by the car yard that the vehicle had a full 100 point check, and was perfectly safe and roadworthy. Obviously, they lied...
We are now up for a replacement motor, at $10,000!!! :sad0147:
And to make it worse, the company who supplied the "extended warranty" we bought claim it isn't caused by a fault, so they aren't going to cover it!:mad0090:
I wonder what the car dealer and warranty people's reaction is going to be when I contact the Motor Trades Association and the Department of Consumer Affairs...

XJ Wheeler
08-06-2013, 09:47 PM
Yeah, i'd be making a big "fuss" over this.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

cantab27
08-07-2013, 12:17 AM
10 k for new engine wow.....yeah I would be jumping up and down .....media likes storys like this ...start dropping emails

4.3LXJ
08-07-2013, 12:20 AM
Warranty people love to deny coverage. Don't let them get away with it. Insist, then get a copy of the policy and make them show you how it is not covered and threaten with a lawyer.

alex673
08-07-2013, 03:14 AM
Yeah... I thought $10.000 was a lot too, but apparently that is the current price. These motors were apparently built by Rover, and were superseded in 2006. For some unknown reason, they are now worth money, even though they were only good to use as a boat anchor!

cantab27
08-07-2013, 04:42 AM
and there lies the problem ...built by rover

abebehrmann
08-07-2013, 08:00 AM
I thought the used car dealers in Florida were bad. I had a guy tell me on the phone that a Cherokee had only a little rust on the underside, 1.5hour drive later and I find out it had a hole about the size of a baseball rusted through one of the frame rails!

4.3LXJ
08-07-2013, 10:25 AM
I thought the used car dealers in Florida were bad. I had a guy tell me on the phone that a Cherokee had only a little rust on the underside, 1.5hour drive later and I find out it had a hole about the size of a baseball rusted through one of the frame rails!

Just a wee little hole ................. You weren't supposed to look :bang:

nickyg
08-07-2013, 10:49 AM
I looked at an audi for my daughter. It had a busted motor mount. The salesman told me the engine was suppose to rock back and forth like that. When I pointed out the jagged piece of metal that was where the mount should be. he said "Oh you can get that fixed for 20 bucks"

Most of em ( not all of them) are bottom feeders.

editedforsafety
08-08-2013, 07:28 AM
I looked at an audi for my daughter. It had a busted motor mount. The salesman told me the engine was suppose to rock back and forth like that. When I pointed out the jagged piece of metal that was where the mount should be. he said "Oh you can get that fixed for 20 bucks"

Most of em ( not all of them) are bottom feeders.

That's a favorite of the bad ones around here. Everything can be fixed for around 20-25 bucks.

drakan1908
08-08-2013, 07:53 AM
When I was buying my Grand, I drove one and came back to the lot I told the guy the trans. was slipping and his reply was that even if I put a trans. in it I would still be ahead. 2 weeks later I see it on the back of a rollback pulling into his lot.....somebody must have been coming out ahead.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Mudderoy
08-08-2013, 08:59 AM
Salesmen are like this because it's to their benefit. If people would stop buying from them then they would all go get other jobs, probably political office, or their tactics would change.

I haven't bought a new vehicle since 1998, and I'm still driving it. The TJ and the other XJ I purchased from Craigslist, directly from the individual in other words.

New is nice, but it's certainly not the best use of your money.

bigjim350
08-08-2013, 05:02 PM
People on cl will screw you over too. Not just a dealer, trust me I know...

Sent from my SPH-L300 using Tapatalk 2