PDA

View Full Version : Help NO BUS message

dagod16
08-06-2013, 04:37 PM
Driving home the
NO BUS message pops up instead of the mileage, and none of the gauges worked, not one. I had no idea the speed or the rpm's, temp, oil pressure, no cruise control.

This has happened in the past and goes back to normal after 30 seconds. But this time it is not going back.

I would like to add that when I hooked up my scan tool up to the xj while the problem was still going on, the scan tool said it found nothing wrong.
Why is that?

What is it and how do I fix it?

Thanks

Rob

dagod16
08-06-2013, 05:04 PM
I think if it was the crank position sensor the jeep would have trouble starting and running, and I drove it home no problems.

4.3LXJ
08-06-2013, 05:09 PM
This may sound a little weird, but smack the dash near the cluster. The late XJs and early TJs had this issue. Just did this a couple of times in a TJ recently and it works

dagod16
08-06-2013, 05:17 PM
I tried that on the way home. The jeep runs just fine except it says NO BUS and no gauges.

After it being turned off for ten minutes once I got home I started it up and it works.

But I want to fix the problem.

It this a computer issue?
an ignition switch issue?
Maybe a fuse?

4.3LXJ
08-06-2013, 05:21 PM
Generally it is a plug in the back of the cluster not allowing a good ground

dagod16
08-06-2013, 05:27 PM
A guy on another website posted this, and I would like your thoughts?

Keep in mind that a no-bus no-start condition has more than a few times been traced to a bad crankshaft position sensor on the XJ. When that sensor shorts, it won't provide the base reference signal to the computer which results in the no-start. The short then also can (not always) lead to a no-bus on the odometer.

Not sure if it is your problem or not but it sure could be. Here's what I would try and it should only take a few minutes. Remove the connector either from the CPS itself or disconnect it under the hood where the wiring for the CPS comes in from the bellhousing; search for more information on what to look for; I can't recall off hand what it looks like.

If you disconnect the CPS by either fashion and and the NO BUS is gone when you turn the key on, you can then be pretty certain that your CPS is toast. I have included a procedure on how to test the CPS. Good Luck!

CPS TESTING PROCEDURE 1991 – 2001 4.0L H.O. engines

1. Near the rear of intake manifold, disconnect sensor pigtail harness connector from main wiring harness.
2. Place an ohmmeter across terminals B and C (A-B-C looking into connector left to right). Ohmmeter should be set to 1K-to-1OK scale for this test.
3. The meter reading should be open (infinite resistance). Replace sensor if a low resistance is indicated.

TESTING PROCECURE for 1987 – 1990 4.0 L engines

Test # 1

Get a volt/ohm meter and set it to read 0 - 500 ohms. Unplug the CPS and measure across the CPS connector's A & B leads. Your meter should show a CPS resistance of between 125 - 275 ohms. If the CPS is out of that range by much, replace it.

Test # 2

You'll need a helper for this one. Set the volt/ohm meter to read 0 - 5 AC volts or the closest AC Volts scale your meter has to this range. Measure across the CPS leads for voltage generated as your helper cranks the engine. (The engine can't fire up without the CPS connected but watch for moving parts just the same!) The meter should show .5 - .8 VAC when cranking. (That's between 1/2 and 1 volt AC.) If it's below .5vac, replace it.

dagod16
08-06-2013, 05:29 PM
Can I unplug the cps and see if NO BUS pops up?

dagod16
08-06-2013, 06:02 PM
Is this problem gonna leave me and my kids stranded somewhere?

XJ Wheeler
08-06-2013, 10:32 PM
Check out the first and ninth solutions.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/electrical/154-1004-top-ten-jeep-electrical-problems-and-cures/

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

dagod16
08-07-2013, 07:49 AM
So I called the dealership and they said the replacement connector # PN05016261 is something they don't sell and it is only part of the entire wiring harness.

I think this loose plug is the problem.

How do I get this replacement connector?

msmoorenburg
08-07-2013, 07:54 AM
1997 Cherokee 4.0 2001 Cherokee 4.0
1998 Cherokee 4.0 1998 Grand Cherokee 4.0
1999 Cherokee 4.0 1999 Wrangler 4.0
2000 Cherokee 4.0 2000 Wrangler 4.0
Customer Concern:
The instrument cluster is not working. The odometer display is "NO BUS". The self test or gauge sweep test does seem to work on the instrument cluster.
Average Reported Mileage:
Tests/Procedures:
1. Check to see if the BUS voltage is in fact something other than 2.5 volts on each wire. This can be tested at the Diagnostic Link Connector (DLC) (pin 3 Violet/Brown, pin 11 White/Black). If it is something other than 2.5 volts, one of the modules is likely causing the problem. The other modules on this vehicle include: Sentry Key Immobilizer Module (SKIM), Airbag Control Module (ACM), Powertrain Control Module (PCM), Transmission Control Module (TCM), Overhead Console (if equipped), Compass (if equipped) and Instrument Cluster (IC). Unplug these one at a time while monitoring the BUS voltage.

Confirmed fixes

9 - Instrument Cluster
6 - Instrument Cluster Connector
3 - Crankshaft Position (CKP) Sensor
3 - Chrysler Collision Detection (CCD) Bus Wiring
2 - Powertrain Control Module (PCM)
2 - Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) Wiring
1 - Instrument Cluster Circuit Board
1 - Radio Wiring
1 - Transmission Control Module (TCM) Wiring
1 - Circuit
1 - Powertrain Control Module (PCM) Connector(s)
1 - Transmission Control Module (TCM)
1 - BCM Power, IC Connector
1 - Fuse #9

I'd put my money on a plug or cluster if ya need one pm me

Mudderoy
08-07-2013, 01:43 PM
This may sound a little weird, but smack the dash near the cluster. The late XJs and early TJs had this issue. Just did this a couple of times in a TJ recently and it works

I never received the no BU 5 but I would lose some of the gauges. I'd hit the dash above the cluster. Years later I found that I could just press, carefully on the cluster front and it would come back on.

Since Matt and I took out the dash it hasn't acted up. Usually see it happen more during the winter, but recently it had been happening more often.

dagod16
08-08-2013, 05:51 AM
Well last night my 11 year old and I took the dash apart and removed the instrument cluster. I bought some di-electric cleaner and with a Q tip cleaned the connectors. Wasn't too much dirt or oxidation on the metal prongs, but some did come off. I also checked my 4 x 4 bulb because it doesn't come on when I go into 4 wheel drive but my 4 wheel drive is running fine.

So we put di- electric grease on the prongs and put the gauge cluster back into place. I reconnected the battery and ran a cluster test. Everything seems fine.

I am amazed at how easy it was to take apart the dash.