PDA

View Full Version : 6.5in lift what all is needed besides the lift

undercovertreehugger
08-06-2013, 03:54 PM
ok so i have decided to go with a 6.5in lift what all is needed to make this SAFE for my wife to drive with the kids? SYE (slip yoke eliminator)? track bar?

4.3LXJ
08-06-2013, 03:58 PM
What comes with the kit?

olliewagon
08-06-2013, 05:34 PM
The drive shaft will have to be lengthened, and yes you will need a sye. I just installed a BDS 6.5 long arm and had to move track bar and steering stabilzer

4x4Dalton
08-06-2013, 06:05 PM
The drive shaft will have to be lengthened, and yes you will need a sye. I just installed a BDS 6.5 long arm and had to move track bar and steering stabilzer

You may not need to do a SYE. There are a few if us running with stock T case and rear driveshaft on a 6.5 with no issues. It just depends on how it acts when you put it in 4wd. If it binds up then yes a SYE is gonna be needed.

93xj97347
08-06-2013, 06:17 PM
If the kit doesn't come with a track bar you will need to get one. Your gonna need longer brakelines. For the rear softline I used one from a dodge Dakota. The fronts a from a Chevy z71. They both bolt up with no mods. Have extra money on hand in case you find out you have worn steering parts because the bigger tires will tell you if anything is worn out

undercovertreehugger
08-06-2013, 06:23 PM
i was looking at going with a bds or a rubicon express 6.5 long arm suspenion kit....this is the first i have heard of anybody mentioning lentghing the drive shaft or brake lines those both slipped my mind

undercovertreehugger
08-06-2013, 06:42 PM
3309 this is the kit i am wanting to run

olliewagon
08-06-2013, 06:47 PM
The BDS comes with lines and everything for the lift. My truck is a 99 and a front shaft is too short . You will have to put slip yoke eliminator or it will vibrate. A stock front shaft fully stretched out will barely fit . I don't think it will last at full drop of the rear .My brothers 98 has a vib with 4in lift.

olliewagon
08-06-2013, 06:55 PM
You may not need to do a SYE. There are a few if us running with stock T case and rear driveshaft on a 6.5 with no issues. It just depends on how it acts when you put it in 4wd. If it binds up then yes a SYE is gonna be needed.

96 and down don't have this problem as 97 up. It has nothing to do with putting it in 4wd as we are talking about the rear shaft. I also noticed you only have 4.5in lift, big difference in angles.

undercovertreehugger
08-06-2013, 07:00 PM
it looks like the rubicon express lift i have pictured DOES come with brake lines

undercovertreehugger
08-06-2013, 07:25 PM
ok....i am confused according to bds website and there 6.5 lift it recommends a 33in tire but the rubicon 5.5 lift says up to a 35......can ANYONE explain why the difference........

4.3LXJ
08-06-2013, 07:40 PM
Trimming the fenders is what makes the difference. In all honesty, if you are running a 31" tire, you can manage it with a 3" lift in untrimmed fenders. But once you go above that, you cannot stuff the wheel in the space without rubbing on the fender well. Soooooooo, if you are planning on running 33" tires, you will need to trim fenders. If you are just on the street, you could get away with it I suppose and take bumps carefully. But suspensions are there to absorb bumps and flex to fit terrain. Eventually the tires will be forced upward and make contact unless you run the bump stops down a ridiculous amount which will not allow your new suspension to flex the way it was designed to off road even in mild situations.

undercovertreehugger
08-06-2013, 07:59 PM
Trimming the fenders is what makes the difference. In all honesty, if you are running a 31" tire, you can manage it with a 3" lift in untrimmed fenders. But once you go above that, you cannot stuff the wheel in the space without rubbing on the fender well. Soooooooo, if you are planning on running 33" tires, you will need to trim fenders. If you are just on the street, you could get away with it I suppose and take bumps carefully. But suspensions are there to absorb bumps and flex to fit terrain. Eventually the tires will be forced upward and make contact unless you run the bump stops down a ridiculous amount which will not allow your new suspension to flex the way it was designed to off road even in mild situations.

so say i run the bushwacker pocket style flares will that eliminate the rubbing

4.3LXJ
08-06-2013, 08:01 PM
Yes, but you will still have to trim the metal underneath according to instructions

undercovertreehugger
08-06-2013, 08:16 PM
yeah thats why i was saying those instead of the flat fender flares they offer which dont require trimming

4x4Dalton
08-06-2013, 10:13 PM
96 and down don't have this problem as 97 up. It has nothing to do with putting it in 4wd as we are talking about the rear shaft. I also noticed you only have 4.5in lift, big difference in angles.

The 4.5 lift was on a 95 I owned. I now own a 91 with 6.5 lift with the T case and rear driveshaft from the 95 under my 91.

XjJeepacorn
08-07-2013, 06:09 AM
Don't forget to extend your diff breathers too. I didn't know how much I needed so I went and grabbed 2 feet of gas line from the hard wear store in the back lol! It's a bit long for me and then I grabbed 3 feet for the front, I'm also thinking about re locating the breathers because last summer I got a bit too deep for them. I'm at 4.5 now going higher when I get the chance, just busy aug 10 free parts day at the jy so I'm hoping to score some leafs. Want the rodeo ones like 4.3 suggested but I'll have to do with blazer ones if nothing else. :) good luck. I ordered iron rock off roads hack n' tap sye so I could use another front drive shaft in the back that way I'd only need one spare. This also means the diff has to be turned so the u joint at the pinion is straight. My rear shaft is fully compressed so I'll have plenty of room to go up with that one. I saw someone post the front shaft was too short at 6.5 for the actual front, that may make this pointless to you then but it's easy to get extra shafts off Craig's list and it would be way cheaper then having extra custom shafts made. something to think about :)

XjJeepacorn
08-07-2013, 06:11 AM
Quick discos are a happy thing too, might as well up grade if your kit doesn't come with them. The sway bar links will need to be replaced anyway

mudslut
01-06-2014, 07:37 AM
i was looking at going with a bds or a rubicon express 6.5 long arm suspenion kit....this is the first i have heard of anybody mentioning lentghing the drive shaft or brake lines those both slipped my mind

I just lifted my xj 7 inch just drop the t-case don't need longer drive shafts that's on mine its.. diff. for ea xj.....go big:D longer brake lines and shocks track bar drop the t-case run 35's bfgoodrich mud terrain is a good tire on off rd...do your home work your wife and kids are going to be in it good luck on your build :patriot:

Hopkins
01-06-2014, 08:45 AM
Dunno if you have pulled the trigger on a lift yet, but if you want a quality kit that includes EVERYTHING then this is worth checking out.

http://www.seriousoffroadproducts.com/Serious-Offroad/Serious-Suspension/SERIOUS-OFFROAD-PRODUCTS/Serious-Long-Arm-5.5in.-Long-arm-Suspension-NP231J-T-case?cPath=419_2040&

Although I believe the install requires welding. Dunno if that is a deal breaker for you.

mudslut
01-06-2014, 08:57 AM
that's a lot of money for a 5 inch lift .....but looks like a good one;)

undercovertreehugger
01-06-2014, 09:06 AM
well i ended up just getting a rubicon express 5.5in short arm due to funding but loving it so far