PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Fluid Colour?

DohaXJ
08-06-2013, 12:13 AM
Hello all. This seems like a really friendly forum.

2001 XJ, 81k miles, bone stock, dealer maintained from new. Owned for the last 3 years or so. Suffered the dreaded head crack a few weeks ago, but all fixed up with a brand spanking new TUPY head now. No issues otherwise.

I am not a wrencher, but I have a passing interest in mechanics and L-O-V-E my Jeep.

I have a general question regarding transmission fluid. Mine's not red or pink, but it's not burnt either. It's kind of light honey brown. It's also clear (i.e. see through). Transmission shifts just fine.

Never had the fluid flushed, but did have a pan drop and refill about a year ago (the dealer used ATF+4 on the basis of a TB, despite my Dexron protestations, but to be fair it has never caused any problems to date).

Two questions:-

1. Is colour any indication of the condition of the fluid?
2. How much of the fluid was actually swapped out via the pan drop and fill method?

I'm paranoid about fluids and it's always bothered me that the transmission might not be getting the proper attention.

Any advice would be welcome.

Ash

89Laredo
08-06-2013, 12:29 AM
From what Ive seen trans fluid changes color pretty quick, especially in an older one.
Draining the pan and refilling replaces about 1/3 of the fluid.
There is a drain plug, the pan doesnt need to be dropped.
I drain and fill my pan at least once a year (usually in spring). Dexron III should be used, stay away from ATF4. Its as simple as an oil change and you can do it yourself, dont pay a dealer.
Flushes are bad, drain and fill is good.

DohaXJ
08-06-2013, 01:21 AM
Thanks for replying 89Laredo.

I think the pan was dropped specifically to change the filter. When I saw the filter, though, it just looked like a screen. No crud or anything on it.

Only 1/3 of the fluid? Wow. I guess I'll do a couple of drains and refills to get the balance out then?

To be fair, the ATF+4 did make it shift noticeably smoother. I've got to know my dealer mechanic pretty well, and he reckons they've had no reported instances of slipping in any AW4 in which they've used this fluid. I argued pretty hard, but they were adamant, and they've been proved right so far. Maybe it's only neglected transmissions which are incompatible with ATF+4?

Like I said, I'm not really a wrencher. Did a bit when back in the UK, but since I've been in the Middle East I've not really had the tools, space or time to get my hands dirty. Apartment living (i.e. no garage) plus the heat and humidity outside means that very few people actually do their own work over here.

Ash

ArmyGuy45
08-06-2013, 06:42 AM
The idea is to keep some of the used fluid still in the tranny. Dont ask me how it works but somehow the old fluid keeps up on the friction for better shifting and less slippage.

Mudderoy
08-06-2013, 10:25 AM
Hello all. This seems like a really friendly forum.

2001 XJ, 81k miles, bone stock, dealer maintained from new. Owned for the last 3 years or so. Suffered the dreaded head crack a few weeks ago, but all fixed up with a brand spanking new TUPY head now. No issues otherwise.

I am not a wrencher, but I have a passing interest in mechanics and L-O-V-E my Jeep.

I have a general question regarding transmission fluid. Mine's not red or pink, but it's not burnt either. It's kind of light honey brown. It's also clear (i.e. see through). Transmission shifts just fine.

Never had the fluid flushed, but did have a pan drop and refill about a year ago (the dealer used ATF+4 on the basis of a TB, despite my Dexron protestations, but to be fair it has never caused any problems to date).

Two questions:-

1. Is colour any indication of the condition of the fluid?
2. How much of the fluid was actually swapped out via the pan drop and fill method?

I'm paranoid about fluids and it's always bothered me that the transmission might not be getting the proper attention.

Any advice would be welcome.

Ash

I personally wouldn't put anything in my AW4 except Dex/Merc III. The dealer doesn't care about my vehicle like I do.

JeepFreak
08-06-2013, 12:32 PM
From what I've noticed, when the color starts to get darker than a reddish maroon color, it's time to switch out the fluid. It's almost like engine oil in the sense that when it gets darker it means it's doing its job by removing crap from your moving parts and carrying it with the fluid to the screen where it gets caught. Draining and refilling works for a time but eventually you do need to have the filter removed and cleaned. Case and point, my XJ used to be owned by my grandparents and being that they're old, they didn't know much about cars. They had always only drained and refilled the tranny but never had it dropped to clean the pan. The end result was a 20 y/o XJ with the original manufacturer's glue on the tranny still unbroken and fluid that looked like motor oil and had the same consistency as motor oil. When I had them drop the pan to get at the filter, the mechanic was astonished to see that nothing had gone wrong with my transmission. The filter had been gummed up with 20 years worth of crap. That's why getting your transmission cleaned out is a great idea. You can drain and refill all you want but your filter will end up making your fluid dirty and useless again and also potentially damaging to your tranny. Ever since I had it done, my XJ shifts a TON better. No slippage, no clunking, no slamming into gear. It's completely smooth now.

BlueXJ
08-06-2013, 12:42 PM
As stated you never get all the old fluid out. The torque converter is always nearly full and the only way to drain it is to remove the trans and physically remove the converter and drain it by inverting it and let it drain through the center hole.
Dex III is the only fluid to use. The dealer refers to a TSB which uses the same fluid used in Chrysler's and since Jeep is owned by Chrysler this saves stocking inventory consisting of various fluids.

bulrid8
08-06-2013, 01:14 PM
Need to do a flush using the return line. Takes 15 minutes and about 10-12 quarts of fluid. Will change all the fluid, including the TC.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

dagod16
08-10-2013, 07:06 PM
Never do a power plush which requires pressure. Good dirt builds up over 100K or 200K inside the tranny and the engine and it fills the cracks. Your tranny should be changed every 50 K even if the color is still red!!!! I'm almost at 200K and I have no tranny problems and I change it at 40K. Drain and fill.

Same thing with the radiator and engine oil, drain and fill, don't do any power flushes to clean it out, this is how seals and head gaskets get ruined. Then your talking big bucks in repairs.

bulrid8
08-10-2013, 08:11 PM
Flushing with return line is not a power flush. It is no different then what your tranny does every day.
You can't compare an engine and tranny. If dirt is what is sealing your engine, you have major problems.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

dagod16
08-11-2013, 02:28 PM
I agree it's not a power flush, you are correct. But go ahead and do a power flush and let me know how that works for you!

bulrid8
08-12-2013, 12:26 AM
Not once has anyone said to do a power flush! You can do a drain and fill 3-4 times and not get all the fluid. If you do a return flush, you get all the fluid at one time.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk 2

dagod16
08-13-2013, 04:05 AM
I'm aware of that. I'm just advising not to do a power flush!