PDA

View Full Version : Anyone mount a toolbox...

ArmyGuy45
08-04-2013, 12:29 PM
in place of the spare tire bracket slot?

abebehrmann
08-05-2013, 10:10 AM
This is a great idea! I was thinking about building a little storage platform like the one described on www.ericsxj.com but your idea might be a good alternative.

ArmyGuy45
08-06-2013, 06:39 AM
I am surprised that no one has tried this. Project for anyone can that do some fab work?

BlueXJ
08-06-2013, 12:47 PM
I have a fire extinguisher where the spare mounted. I have the toolbox mounted on the floor on passenger side. I did that so the left and right sides are balanced when I sit in the drivers seat. I weight about 220 thus balancing out the weight of the multi drawer toolbox.

XjJeepacorn
08-06-2013, 01:16 PM
I want to make one for my roof tack but I can't get in my garage with my roof rack on. So my friend wants to install a couple subs for me in the rear window drivers side so I'm thinking that a box in the window for tools might be a good idea. And he wants to put an amp under the head liner. I'm like what ever do what you want I would like to have something that sounds better but I'm driving a ricer so it's no big deal to me lol. Maybe some heavy duty shocks on the back hatch and then make a chest in that window that swings down do it would be right in front of you when you open the hatch would be cool :)

XjJeepacorn
08-06-2013, 01:17 PM
And shocks on it too!

BlueXJ
08-06-2013, 03:25 PM
I want to make one for my roof tack but I can't get in my garage with my roof rack on. So my friend wants to install a couple subs for me in the rear window drivers side so I'm thinking that a box in the window for tools might be a good idea. And he wants to put an amp under the head liner. I'm like what ever do what you want I would like to have something that sounds better but I'm driving a ricer so it's no big deal to me lol. Maybe some heavy duty shocks on the back hatch and then make a chest in that window that swings down do it would be right in front of you when you open the hatch would be cool :)

Interesting concept. I have never heard this approach before.

XjJeepacorn
08-06-2013, 03:32 PM
Just something I've been thinking about for a couple years now I'd still like to make one for the rack but I don't want to have to take all the tools out to get the box of to get the tack off and in the garage!

XjJeepacorn
08-06-2013, 03:35 PM
I never look out those side back windows anyway because I have blind spot mirrors

XjJeepacorn
08-06-2013, 03:40 PM
Also for any box it might be a good idea to line it all with dynomat just to cut down on the rattles :) that's part of the big picture

BlueXJ
08-06-2013, 03:49 PM
:rolleye0012:Might be cool to replace the rear side windows with a toolbox that has access from inside or outside of the Jeep. It would need to be flush on the exterior to still have woods and trail capability and to reduce wind drag while on the highway.:pray: These are a few considerations.

XjJeepacorn
08-06-2013, 03:55 PM
That's a good idea, could make something like a cupboard door inside of it so that there would be tools on both sides that you could swing and have it lined with tools on both sides and so you could access it from inside or outside.

XjJeepacorn
08-06-2013, 03:55 PM
One side metric and one side sae