PDA

View Full Version : Replacement U Joint failed me!

98FloridaXJ
08-03-2013, 10:14 AM
So about three months back I replaced the passenger side wheel bearing and axle u joint on my dana 30. I went to go ride with the club last weekend but right before I hit the trails and one of the caps came off the joint. I was able to use a hose clamp to keep the remainder of the u joint and limped home. I didn't buy a low end replacement but wanted to get y'all's opinion on a good unit for a weekend wheeler that can last longer than three months.

OrangeXJ
08-03-2013, 12:18 PM
Spicer, I run them on my rock crawler on 44's and my TJ on 37's and I have only broke 1 and I beat on them

98FloridaXJ
08-03-2013, 06:25 PM
Yeah I was going to get the Moog but I couldn't remember what I had purchased last time and I wanted to get an opinion on what to use.I'm not in a rush to replace it just yet since its not my DD and I dont have any immidiate trail rides planned just yet.

Mudderoy
08-03-2013, 09:34 PM
Yeah I was going to get the Moog but I couldn't remember what I had purchased last time and I wanted to get an opinion on what to use.I'm not in a rush to replace it just yet since its not my DD and I dont have any immidiate trail rides planned just yet.

You might want to have a close look at both axle ends. It's possible that they were damaged during the last install. I'm pretty sure you're going to have to replace that axle end that lost the cap. That usually beats the hell out of them when you lose a cap.

98FloridaXJ
08-04-2013, 12:52 PM
Two things could have happened to cause it to fail, either the u joint failed(I do wheel my Jeep) or the clip could have come out from not being fully wedged between the joint and axle end. It looks like from what I saw that there was no damage to the axle end only some of the surrounding items but I have yet to take it fully apart and inspect everything.

Mudderoy
08-04-2013, 02:07 PM
Two things could have happened to cause it to fail, either the u joint failed(I do wheel my Jeep) or the clip could have come out from not being fully wedged between the joint and axle end. It looks like from what I saw that there was no damage to the axle end only some of the surrounding items but I have yet to take it fully apart and inspect everything.

Well let us know if the axle end survived.

4.3LXJ
08-07-2013, 04:53 PM
You may not have had the clip in all the way. Something that typically happens when pressing joints in is that the ears on the shaft get pushed in a little. This may not have allowed the clip to seat all the way. To correct this place the shaft on some type of anvil with the ears hanging off the end and hit the end with a hammer and spread them out again. It can be done with the joint in so you can check to see if the clips seat and the joint rotates freely

98FloridaXJ
08-25-2013, 06:57 AM
Well I finally had enough time yesterday to fully inspect and replace the joint. No major damage except a little bit of rash on one of the bearing bolts when the cap flew out. Everything went back together pretty easy I just hope the axle shaft seal is not toast and I have to replace this yet again.