PDA

View Full Version : Which Cummins To Use?

McChoka
08-01-2013, 02:37 PM
My original inline 6 is getting tired, and I would REALLY like to put a Cummins in my Cherokee. Does anyone know if and what Cummins would fit under my hood and marry up to my transmission (which is a rebuilt original auto 4 speed).

prerunner1982
08-01-2013, 02:45 PM
I would imagine the 4bt would be a good choice, though I don't know if it will bolt up to the trans without an adapter. The 6bt it likely just too big, it weights in at twice the weight of the original 4.0 liter I6.

reddragon72
08-06-2013, 03:50 PM
That is a lot of weight in there!

look at the specs for the diesel in the jk as that would be the most weight I would put into the front of a cherokee with no frame.

BlueXJ
08-06-2013, 03:58 PM
I would imagine the 4bt would be a good choice, though I don't know if it will bolt up to the trans without an adapter. The 6bt it likely just too big, it weights in at twice the weight of the original 4.0 liter I6.

This is correct info. The 6BT is way too heavy. Another engine to consider is the 5 cylinder Mercedes which is near to the 4.0L in size and weight but again will need an adapter from Advanced adapters. They used to do custom adapters so if you had an unusual combination of engine and transmission they would help match them up.
Yet another consideration might be the 4 cylinder Isuzu Diesel from one of their small van trucks. You may concider taking an engine/transmission together and finding a separate transfer case which is not attached to the tranny.

prcjeep
08-06-2013, 05:27 PM
Cummins 4bt is what ive read for the "best" swap... i would love to have a cummins hidden in my XJ :D

McChoka
08-18-2013, 04:52 PM
I'm thinking I'll just build my 4.0. I like it... Plus gas doesn't cost quite an arm and a leg (just an arm) like diesel does.

prerunner1982
08-18-2013, 07:08 PM
Depending on what you do to "build" your 4.0 it may require 91 octane. Here diesel is not that much more expensive than 91, and it wasn't that long ago diesel was cheaper than 91. A couple years ago diesel was quite a bit more expensive, but for the better MPG and low end, "right now" it wouldn't be soo bad.

cantab27
08-18-2013, 07:46 PM
http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1911&highlight=Diesel

there was another good thread on here but cant find sorry ...we have heaps of wee ricer diesel's down here ..me I don't like that rattle oil burning things for wheeling , but hey that's just me .......

4.3LXJ
08-18-2013, 08:19 PM
http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1911&highlight=Diesel

there was another good thread on here but cant find sorry ...we have heaps of wee ricer diesel's down here ..me I don't like that rattle oil burning things for wheeling , but hey that's just me .......

I have to agree. A gasser is better for wheeling if for no other reason the greater power band and higher rpms you can use

reddragon72
08-25-2013, 11:29 AM
This isn't a Cummings but he did a diesel

Jeep Cherokee XJ 2.1L Diesel - 4.5" Lift First Offroad Test - YouTube

bluedragon436
08-25-2013, 04:24 PM
I would say do the 4BT, or you can look into places that are doing the VW TDI engine into the Wranglers, I now there were a few that were looking at possibly developing an swap for the XJ's... I've thought about doing the diesel swap into my XJ if the engine goes out in it... If not I'll just look into reBUILDing the 4.0 into a budget stroker...