PDA

View Full Version : Looking for guidance on upgrades

SonicCougar99
07-31-2013, 11:42 PM
Hello, all, my 1989 XJ is in need of some work that I would like to do before winter, and I would like to get some input on which direction I should go with some of these. Thankfully I have finally gotten my car up and running so I can take some time to make sure the Jeep is taken care of.

First, at appx. 204,000 miles, my TRE's are fairly worn out and in need of replacement, so I would like to upgrade to a beefier steering setup while I am in there replacing stuff. I have been looking heavily into the V8 ZJ upgrade, which pricing it out on RockAuto can be done to my door for around $200. I have found some beefier setups from some of the Jeep vendors that are very nice, but are a little pricier and many of which require modifying the knuckle, which is something I get hesitant about doing. So the question for this one, what recommendations do you have for a BOLT IN steering upgrade? I don't do a lot of wheeling, but if I have a capable rig, I certainly won't be afraid to take it out and have some fun given my town's proximity to the local forests and trails.

Second, I would like to lift my Jeep before winter and hopefully put some wheels and Mud Terrain tires under my XJ before the snow hits, but it isn't a spectacularly high priority. My girlfriend is looking at moving in before winter and will have her 4 year old daughter as well, and my Jeep will be the only 4x4 in the household for at least the first part of the winter (we want to pick up a Full Sized Bronco at some point, probably around tax time), so I want the safety and needed stuff done first.

But anyway, as far as the lift goes, I don't want to go any larger than 3.5" or 4" (wanting to avoid driveline modifications and the bigger bucks that go along with all that). My current rear leafs are pretty flat, so I think I should really go along with the full leaf packs and not AAL's. Again, I don't do a TON of wheeling, but if my XJ is plenty capable, I sure would use it. I've never had anything with sway bar disconnects, so the idea of that intrigues me, so I wouldn't mind finding a kit that includes those. What recommendations would you guys give me for lifting my XJ for a reasonable price?

I know some of these are "n00b" questions, but with so many different products out there, it gets confusing and frustrating trying to figure out what route to go down. Thanks in advance, really hope to have a good time with my XJ this fall and be ready for what will HOPEFULLY be a really nice winter for us (had a couple dry winters, we NEED the moisture and snow in our forests!)

bigjim350
07-31-2013, 11:52 PM
The V8 ZJ tierod upgrade is a good cheap upgrade. Have it done on my xj and have had no problems. Has never bent and my jeep use to get wheeled pretty hard and often. As far as lifts go, Rough Country is a good entry level lift that will come with everything you need at a decent price. Heard good things about Zone lifts as well. As far as height goes, with yours being a 89 you can usually get some pretty good lift out of it with out expensive driveline modifications. Im at 6.5" lift with only a transfer case drop, and some shims between the axle and leafs. Dont have any vibrations till bout 90mph or so. And in my opinion no lifted xj should be going that fast anyway, lol. Oh and im just starting a fullsize bronco build myself.

SonicCougar99
08-01-2013, 12:14 AM
Dont have any vibrations till bout 90mph or so. And in my opinion no lifted xj should be going that fast anyway, lol. Oh and im just starting a fullsize bronco build myself.

Yeah, if I want to go fast, I hop in my car, not the Jeep (speed limiter at 115mph in 4th gear with rev's still to go and another gear, whee!!)

We are looking at one of the newer Bronco's, probably 92+ as we don't want a project that needs a ton of work other than some basic maintenance and a few mods (lift/mud tires were named specifically by my girlfriend as requirements, I nearly dropped to one knee right then and there lol).

As for the topic, I've been pretty set on the V8 ZJ upgrade for a while, I just wanted to see if others had anything else they knew about and could vouch for that maybe I hadn't heard about. And the RC 3" kit looks right up my alley, we will see.

editedforsafety
08-01-2013, 08:21 AM
When I need a new tie rod, it will be one of Andy's. http://www.ironman4x4fab.com/Products/TR.html

4.3LXJ
08-01-2013, 09:21 AM
Can't go wrong with Andy's stuff

SonicCougar99
08-01-2013, 02:11 PM
When I need a new tie rod, it will be one of Andy's. http://www.ironman4x4fab.com/Products/TR.html

Those are some beefy parts right there!

Mudderoy
08-01-2013, 02:58 PM
Those are some beefy parts right there!

You might find episode 69 of the XJ TALK SHOW! interesting. We did an interview with IronMan4x4Fab main guy Andy!

http://www.xjtalkshow.com/index.php/2013/02/episode-69-xj-talk-show-february-24th-2013/

grainofsalt
08-01-2013, 09:37 PM
I am happy with my LCA's from IronMan4x4, I might just go for his tie rod as well when the time comes.

SonicCougar99
08-02-2013, 01:55 AM
I think I am going to try to find a ZJ V8 setup in a junkyard that is still in reasonable shape for right now. My list for my order that I would be doing my mods if I got one of the beefier setups would look like this.

1. Brakes/Driveline maintenance
2. Lift kit so I can get bigger wheels and tires
3. Bigger wheels and tires so they will clear the upgraded steering setups, as a number of them mention needing either spacers or different offset wheels to clear them
4. Steering upgrade

My problem is, winter is coming and I have a couple other purchases I need to make before then non-vehicle related, I would hate to have a lift and tires and have winter set in before I got the steering done, and then have to go through the winter and depend on the vehicle to get myself, my girlfriend, and her daughter around with worn out steering linkages. So I will scavenge and see if I can find something that will hold me over for now, that way I can leave the steering until the end and then go get a GOOD steering setup that will be much beefier and work well with my lift.

nickyg
08-02-2013, 09:49 AM
I did the ZJ up grade and it was easy, just bolt in. but I don't do much wheelin'.
I had to buy one cause I couldn't find one in a Junk yard. I think The whole set up with TRE and all cost about $200 from autozone.

In my opinon I would go a bit stonger then you think you might need. (a bent tie rod will make for an intersting ride home.)

I'm a big fan of only doing something once. going bigger later is just a waste of time and costs more money in the long run. (I'm ultra lazy and cheap)

The very first mod you should make and the most important is to install a cup holder big enough to hold a big gulp. It'll save your upholstery.

bluedragon436
08-02-2013, 06:06 PM
I would say if your junk yards are anything like the ones I have here in DE... you would be better off picking up the setup from Rock Auto... heck for the prices that the only two yards we have here wanted for a used V8 ZJ tie rod... I could have purchased a brand new tie rod and drag link setup... and known all the TRE's were good... I would def say look into Andy's stuff if you are wanting a forever steering setup... but doing it on a budget (as many of us are doing)... hit up the ZJ setup... all else fails later down the road you start wheeling more... pick up Andy's way beefier stuff... As far as lifts go... I would say take a look at Rough Country... check out our vendors as they carry RC as well as a few other lift options for a really decent price...

SonicCougar99
08-08-2013, 12:46 AM
Ok, so let me rephrase my question a bit and see what you guys have to say.

I am planning on doing the following upgrades to my Jeep. What order should I do these in, as I can't do them all at once.

Upgraded steering
Lift kit
Wheels/Tires

Also, on the subject of the V8 ZJ upgrade, is that able to be done on a lifted XJ without wearing the TRE's out prematurely? Or is this a better upgrade for a stock-ish vehicle, and go with one of the true aftermarket setups for a lifted (3-4") XJ?

On the subject of wheels/tires, I am running the factory gold "snowflake" wheels (89 XJ Limited) with all-season Cooper Trendsetter tires (hey, they were cheap and I was broke). The tires have very good tread, and I have already gone through one winter with them and had zero problems. Sure, they weren't perfect, but IMO it is more about the driver than the tires when it comes to driving in snow (i.e. a good driver with generic tires will perform better than a bad driver with All-terrain/Mud-terrain tires). The only reason I am looking at including this mod with the others is that some of the steering setups require different backspacing and won't work with OEM wheels.

XJ Wheeler
08-08-2013, 12:53 AM
You'll be fine with the ZJ V8 tie rod. Many, including on here run them, even upwards of 6+ inches of lift. I have one waiting to go on and mine measures 5" up there. The wheels should be fine too. ZJs and XJs can swap wheels so that's another way to think of it.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

SonicCougar99
08-08-2013, 12:55 AM
You'll be fine with the ZJ V8 tie rod. Many, including on here run them, even upwards of 6+ inches of lift. I have one waiting to go on and mine measures 5" up there. The wheels should be fine too. ZJs and XJs can swap wheels so that's another way to think of it.

That's just the feedback I was looking for. I just didn't want to do the V8 ZJ upgrade, then do a lift kit, and realize I screwed up and needed to do a beefier steering setup to go with the lift.

XJ Wheeler
08-08-2013, 01:01 AM
That's just the feedback I was looking for. I just didn't want to do the V8 ZJ upgrade, then do a lift kit, and realize I screwed up and needed to do a beefier steering setup to go with the lift.

What size tires do you plan on running?

SonicCougar99
08-08-2013, 01:47 AM
Planning on no bigger than 31x10.50's. I still need to drive this thing semi-regularly in the winter time (my car is about 3 inches off the ground with tires that are NOT good for icy roads at all) so I don't want to shoot my gas mileage down worse than it already is.

XJ Wheeler
08-08-2013, 01:52 AM
Planning on no bigger than 31x10.50's. I still need to drive this thing semi-regularly in the winter time (my car is about 3 inches off the ground with tires that are NOT good for icy roads at all) so I don't want to shoot my gas mileage down worse than it already is.

Oh yeah, the ZJ tie rod will be plenty fine for 31s.

SonicCougar99
08-08-2013, 02:19 AM
The reason I was contemplating the order of the different mods is because I have been eyeballing this for the last couple days and keep drooling over it.
http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=IROR&Product_Code=IR-TOTKS&Category_Code=XST

The problem is that it says that this setup won't fit with factory wheels, hence why I threw out the idea of doing wheels/tires before the steering (but it would obviously have to be after the lift, as I certainly won't clear 31's with my current BB, especially with how badly my rear leafs are sagging).

XJ Wheeler
08-08-2013, 02:43 AM
Honestly, that kit is overkill for what you have planned anyways. Its nice but unnecessary.

Plus, replacement parts for the ZJ tie rod are easier to find.

4x4Dalton
08-08-2013, 02:20 PM
Here are some upgrades I posted a while back. Some might be helpful for ya.
http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=5646

SonicCougar99
08-12-2013, 03:58 PM
Here are some upgrades I posted a while back. Some might be helpful for ya.
http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=5646

Thanks for that link. As it turns out, my good friend has an 80's S10 Blazer out at his house for parts that he said he will give me the rear leafs from it. All I need now are the front coils. I'm looking either at T-Bird V6 coils from the j/y or some 3 or 3.5" coils from Rusty's.

With a 3-4" junkyard lift, what else should I look at buying? I plan on all new shocks all the way around, not sure what direction to go with that. Anyone got recommendations for good shocks that aren't an arm and a leg?

4x4Dalton
08-12-2013, 05:49 PM
You would need shocks like ya said. There is some debate right now about Rough Country shocks but I never had any issues with mine. They are cost effective as well. Maybe lower control arms will be needed as well. Other then those 2 items and the coils and leafs you already spoke of nothing else would be needed for a 4.5 lift. I had it done on my 95 I had and it handled great and wheeled awesome.

SonicCougar99
08-12-2013, 06:37 PM
Got a question on source for the ZJ V8 steering setup. My 4x4 group has an account with AutoZone commercial, and can get us a very good deal on parts like this. Downside is that the parts aren't necessarily "Moog" parts, might be from another vendor. What are your opinions on running the AutoZone vendor parts versus spending a decent bit more for actual "Moog" parts? Like I said, I can get a very good deal on the AutoZone stuff which is definitely a plus for me right now, as the lower I can keep my budget for this the better.

4x4Dalton
08-12-2013, 08:11 PM
As far as I see it's a good opportunity for parts. Yea they might not be "Moog" but I'm sure there's a ton of us that ain't got "Moog" havin to go cheap but reliable route is what some of us have no choice but to do.

Infidel Edition
08-13-2013, 10:23 AM
Not sure what CraigsList looks like down there...
But I've found complete ZJ's for $500 +/- with electrical issues or body problems, but otherwise containing all the stuff you might want to swap.

I've been pondering picking up a '95 and raiding it for parts ~ then sell off what I can (original cost is $550 - minus what I can talk them down - minus what I can sell off) would cost me a couple $$ plus time.

Mudderoy
08-13-2013, 10:28 AM
You would need shocks like ya said. There is some debate right now about Rough Country shocks but I never had any issues with mine. They are cost effective as well. Maybe lower control arms will be needed as well. Other then those 2 items and the coils and leafs you already spoke of nothing else would be needed for a 4.5 lift. I had it done on my 95 I had and it handled great and wheeled awesome.

I just got 2 sets of the RC N2.0 shocks, they seem very nice, but they are new.

SonicCougar99
08-13-2013, 10:51 AM
Not sure what CraigsList looks like down there...
But I've found complete ZJ's for $500 +/- with electrical issues or body problems, but otherwise containing all the stuff you might want to swap.

I've been pondering picking up a '95 and raiding it for parts ~ then sell off what I can (original cost is $550 - minus what I can talk them down - minus what I can sell off) would cost me a couple $$ plus time.

I'm pretty sure my girlfriend would kill me if I brought home another parts vehicle. I've already got a parts car for my Cougar sitting here, my Jeep, my Cougar, my roommates JK, my gf's Hyundai, and she wants to get a full-size Bronco in February when her taxes come back.

Sent from my thoughts transmitted through my fingers using some Tapathingy

Infidel Edition
08-13-2013, 01:54 PM
I'm pretty sure my girlfriend would kill me if I brought home another parts vehicle. I've already got a parts car for my Cougar sitting here, my Jeep, my Cougar, my roommates JK, my gf's Hyundai, and she wants to get a full-size Bronco in February when her taxes come back.

I had a '68 Cougar and a '68 Cougar parts car... :bacondance:
Traded both for an '87 Mustang that a friend in the MSU Auto program rebuilt for racing :rolleye0012:
Got a BIG TICKET ~ or 3 and finally a wife that made me get rid of it :crazy:

...:coffee: it was a thought

SonicCougar99
08-13-2013, 04:34 PM
Unfortunately mine isn't as badass as a 67 or 68. Mine is a 99 that I've had for over 8 years and done a ton of stuff to it. I've got everything covered, got the Jeep for off-roading and getting around in the snow and mud, and have my Cougar for road racing, corners, drag racing, and summer fuel mileage lol.

grainofsalt
08-13-2013, 09:52 PM
With a 3-4" junkyard lift, what else should I look at buying? I plan on all new shocks all the way around, not sure what direction to go with that. Anyone got recommendations for good shocks that aren't an arm and a leg?

For the money JKU rubicon shocks (Red/Black) can not be beat for the price. Typically $75-150 is the asking price for a set.

Mudderoy
08-15-2013, 10:11 AM
Unfortunately mine isn't as badass as a 67 or 68. Mine is a 99 that I've had for over 8 years and done a ton of stuff to it. I've got everything covered, got the Jeep for off-roading and getting around in the snow and mud, and have my Cougar for road racing, corners, drag racing, and summer fuel mileage lol.

I think we need a "My OTHER vehicle is..." forum

SonicCougar99
08-15-2013, 02:09 PM
I for one would love to see what other vehicles members have outside of their Jeeps.