PDA

View Full Version : Tires...what do you buy?

JeepFreak
07-31-2013, 06:30 PM
Once my XJ is back in running, working condition, I'm going to need a new set of tires. Does anyone have any suggestions on what tires I should get? I would like All Terrain tires since my XJ is a 4WD but since this is the first time I will be buying tires EVER I would like the forum's input on it. I was thinking of going to Les Schwab for tires but they only have 2 sets of AT tires and the only difference between them is one has a 15,000 mile extra warranty (65,000 miles) whereas the other has a 50,000 mile warranty. The 2 sets are $45 dollars difference at around $795 for the bigger warranty and this includes installation, free rotation/flat repair/towing etc. So any suggestions on where to go on the West Coast for tires and all the brands and stuff would be appreciated but I want AT tires only since the bigger off road tires have no warranty since they are indeed off road. Thanks in advance guys!

4.3LXJ
07-31-2013, 06:39 PM
BFG All Terrains are very popular and last a long time

4x4Dalton
07-31-2013, 06:44 PM
That's what's on mine.

JeepFreak
07-31-2013, 07:16 PM
BFG? What are those? Are those the BigFoot tires? How much are they around and how long are they supposed to last?

4x4Dalton
07-31-2013, 07:21 PM
BF Goodrich

4x4Dalton
07-31-2013, 07:23 PM
BFGoodrich

Brasscatz
07-31-2013, 09:17 PM
I have Goodyear Wrangler Dura Tracs on mine. Great tire in my opinion. I'll probably go with those or the BFG's when I get new ones

Rustbucket
08-01-2013, 03:20 AM
The BFG all terrains would be a good choice.

XJ Wheeler
08-01-2013, 05:04 AM
Probably not gonna find a better all terrain than the BFGoodrich. They last a long time and have good road manners.

Although, as Jim said the Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs are a good option as well. They're a little more aggressive too. This will probably be my next choice unless something better comes out before then.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

denverd1
08-01-2013, 09:44 AM
BFG A/T are the best off-road road tire. there are way better OFF-ROAD tires but you get near the mileage out of them

EekGirl96
08-01-2013, 09:46 AM
I ran KM2's on my XJ (and will most likely do the same on the Bronco)...I liked them, good offroad and on, never had a problem

reddragon72
08-01-2013, 09:54 AM
I have had BFG AT's and didn't care for the off-roadness where I'm at so I went with Dunlop Mud Rovers. Cheap$ for a mud tire, don't last long on the road(at 50% tread at 19K road) but do extremely well off-road and handle pretty decent on-road.

I can put these on there because she is not my DD but I do like to drive her out on town for the fun of it sometimes :D

denverd1
08-01-2013, 10:00 AM
IMO If you're looking for 60K out of them, you may have to sacrifice a little off-roadness

JeepFreak
08-01-2013, 12:10 PM
This may seem like an odd question but here on the west coast, all I can think of who sells tires are Les Schwab and Big O. That's pretty much all we got around here besides America's Tire Co. or whatever it's called. Where do you all usually buy your tires from and how much did they cost you?

4x4Dalton
08-01-2013, 12:30 PM
Check local small tire places as well as American Tire. Sometimes the small locally owned tire places will carry them and have some good deals.

JeepFreak
08-01-2013, 01:19 PM
Check local small tire places as well as American Tire. Sometimes the small locally owned tire places will carry them and have some good deals.

I was thinking of trying America's Tire Co cause they seem to be cheaper than Les Schwab and Big O and yet still have the same quality tires. Les Schwab like I said had only 2 sets of AT tires. Big O is just downright expensive so maybe looking into smaller places wouldn't be so bad.

TimmyTXJ
08-01-2013, 01:25 PM
This may seem like an odd question but here on the west coast, all I can think of who sells tires are Les Schwab and Big O. That's pretty much all we got around here besides America's Tire Co. or whatever it's called. Where do you all usually buy your tires from and how much did they cost you?

I'm running BFG KM2s. They're a recent purchase and I'm very happy with them. Prior to the Mud Terrains I had BFG All Terrains which good as well. I got them at Discount which is just down the road. You might have luck looking for tires at NTB or Goodyear. Usually, tire manufacturers will be more than happy to point you to their dealers as well. Depending on size, type, & if you're looking to buy new, you can expect to pay about $200 per tire plus mounting, balancing, and tire disposal.

NW99XJ
08-01-2013, 01:26 PM
It took me three months of reasearch and going "back and forth" between several stores when I bought my 31" Duratracs last year.
I ended up getting a screaming deal by playing one store against another...
Eventually I ended up paying just above cost on them.
After selling off my old tires it was like cost on three and one for free!

DONT PAY RETAIL FOR TIRES PEOPLE!!

Also, go to or call up 4wheel parts, and get a quote.
Get it in writing (printed out) ...usually the mounting, balancing, and valve stems can be left off or are printed off on another sheet,
in any case, that "tires only" quote can be used as a "final price" when talking to a competitor during a price match negotiation.
Shop around, and do a little foot work, spend some time on the phone and hit ALL of your local tire stores, even Costco and Walmart if ya got em.
In the end, whomever wants your business the most will give you the deal your looking for.
(and always ask to speak to the manager/owner if you're not getting anywhere with the counter-clerk.)

NW99XJ
08-01-2013, 01:30 PM
You're other option is to buy tires online.... you'll pay a lot less than anywhere local for the tires themselves, but you'll pay DEARLY in shipping costs.

JeepFreak
08-01-2013, 01:36 PM
I'll have to take a look. This information is very helpful. I'll let you guys know what happens in the end. I think so far I'm gonna go with BFG's at America's Tire Co. They seem to have pretty good deals and were actually trying to get to know me as a customer not just saying "we have tires so buy them". They seem pretty reputable as well. Good stuff. If anyone has anything else to add please feel free to do so.

Mudderoy
08-01-2013, 04:01 PM
Discount Tires, $180ish for a BFG 33x12.5x15 MT. Then they add stuff to that.

OrangeXJ
08-01-2013, 04:54 PM
You're other option is to buy tires online.... you'll pay a lot less than anywhere local for the tires themselves, but you'll pay DEARLY in shipping costs.

I'm looking for tires for my F-150 4x4 they are Nitro Terra Grappler 325 20r 16 and I found the best price on Amazon with free shipping

So look at Amazon for the tires you want

JeepFreak
08-01-2013, 05:32 PM
Would you guys say that putting bigger tires on a stock lift XJ is ok? I was thinking of going bigger than P225/75R15 102S on my XJ. According to the tire shop they say it's fine but I wanted to get the community's thoughts.

Carves
08-01-2013, 07:04 PM
Would you guys say that putting bigger tires on a stock lift XJ is ok? I was thinking of going bigger than P225/75R15 102S on my XJ. According to the tire shop they say it's fine but I wanted to get the community's thoughts.

235/75R15 fit in easy ... Has been my tyre size choice for ages.

Went to 30x9.5 last year coz they are a more, commonly available size, in my area .... but you may get some rubbing at full lock and different flexing heights.

ohhh ... and just to be different ... Im running Hankook allterrains ... been fairly happy with them over the years. New tread pattern seems better than the previous models.

cpttuna
08-01-2013, 08:14 PM
Sears sell BFG all terrains. Do you have a sears?

XJ Wheeler
08-02-2013, 01:43 AM
I believe many XJs came with 235s so you'll be just fine with that.

editedforsafety
08-02-2013, 08:30 AM
I have 235s on mine with no issues whatsoever. I have Dunlop Rover RVXTs LT 235/75. Was going to get BFG ATs, but I got a lot better deal on these. Only problem I can really say about them is that they pick up small rocks like it's their job, but they seem to grip everything fairly well. I think they are discontinued though, because I had a heck of a time finding a 5th one.

denverd1
08-02-2013, 09:50 AM
go 33s and cut them fenders bo!! woo!!

JeepFreak
08-02-2013, 03:00 PM
Sears sell BFG all terrains. Do you have a sears?

I do have a sears but I think it's going out of business soon but I do have a Walmart. Maybe I'll try there. I think I'm gonna go with the 235/75R15 BFG's. The tires on my Jeep seemed small and now I know why...cause they were small lol I'm going to give a call to local dealer's and see what deals I can get.

XJ Wheeler
08-02-2013, 05:31 PM
I do have a sears but I think it's going out of business soon but I do have a Walmart. Maybe I'll try there. I think I'm gonna go with the 235/75R15 BFG's. The tires on my Jeep seemed small and now I know why...cause they were small lol I'm going to give a call to local dealer's and see what deals I can get.

Tell me about it. Mine had 215s on it when i bought it, felt like i was running on space saver donuts. And even worse i still ran them for a couple days after my 4.5" lift. :p

Dredwolf
08-03-2013, 10:45 PM
After abusing the heck out of a set of Cooper Discoverer AT3's over almost 4000 miles of pavement, wet and dry, and punishing the tread and sidewalls on rocks in Utah and Colorado, I am sold on the Coopers as a solid AT tire.

I did not do a ton of mud with them, but they cleaned well with a blip of the throttle...it rained a lot the last few days in Moab, and we re-ran trails we had done earlier that changed a great deal with the rain...the mud unusual out there, it can have a solid crust on top that hides axle grease under it. The Coopers never stopped me, it was either ground clearance or good sense