PDA

View Full Version : Roof liner/windshield leak

XJSpooner
07-31-2013, 10:35 AM
This is relatively simple but I'd like to get it right; there looks to be a leak in the upper part of my 99 Cherokee Sport windshield. Water in getting under the gasket and dripping into the interior, causing the fabric on the ceiling liner to peel off. Any advice on the best way to seal the leak and reattach the fabric would be appreciated...I'm sure it's pretty obvious.

Mudderoy
07-31-2013, 10:45 AM
This is relatively simple but I'd like to get it right; there looks to be a leak in the upper part of my 99 Cherokee Sport windshield. Water in getting under the gasket and dripping into the interior, causing the fabric on the ceiling liner to peel off. Any advice on the best way to seal the leak and reattach the fabric would be appreciated...I'm sure it's pretty obvious.

Mine did that after windshield replacement. I just squired some window caulk between the windshield gasket and the body. Fixed.

The water used to run down the inside of my windshield. I guess you could have the same problem, but you might want to check for a rust hole.

XJSpooner
07-31-2013, 10:47 AM
Thanks man...the windshield definitely looks like it was recently replaced, and your advice is what I was thinking as well. Appreciate it.

Mudderoy
07-31-2013, 10:49 AM
Thanks man...the windshield definitely looks like it was recently replaced, and your advice is what I was thinking as well. Appreciate it.

Sometimes they'll let you save money by not replacing the gasket. I think it really should be replaced, otherwise they tear from the stress of being taken out. I cheaped out and didn't replace mine on the 98, and the leak happened. :(

Brasscatz
07-31-2013, 11:11 AM
It's also how well the windshield itself is sealed I ran into that with mine and got a new windshield by a much better guy. I had to replace it because of cracks, but it didn't leak after that. He even showed me where the seal was crappy from the last guy

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 because my microwave couldn't do it