PDA

View Full Version : RENIX Oil Filter Mount / Frankin`Mod Question

Infidel Edition
07-30-2013, 05:08 PM
I was going to change my oil this weekend and remembered the thread about oversized filters...
But mine takes the PF3985 ~ and I don't know if there is an oversized counterpart. :confused:
~ not to mention, I hear it's getting harder to find that filter size.

Another thread said to "swap the boss" ~ which I assume means the stem where the filter screws on. And it suggested hitting the local Pick'N Pull to find one from a 92+ XJ (which I believe takes the PH16 stock / PH8A oversized).

But then, I came across a lot of references to the 'O'-ring replacement and figured I'd hit that at the same time.
2 birds with 1 stone?

Thus, 2 questions:
1) is the "boss" the part circled in yellow? or just the stem?
& 2) If I swap the part in yellow, do I use the part circled in red from the current assembly? Or would I use the part from the piece I pull at the JY?

*OK I said, 2 questions... but here's a 1/2 question:
if the part circled in yellow isn't the boss, but I replace it from a newer xj, would I use the part circled in red to secure it to the block?
** and thus question 4!, would I use the O-rings for the RENIX or the newer mount?:rolleye0012:

Am I confused now?
Better yet, has anyone done this swap yet?

Infidel Edition
07-31-2013, 10:58 AM
While digging, I came across a thread for a Ford~ where you can replace just the boss

After removing the mounting assembly (ie. like when you change the O-rings), you can also change the boss/post, and screw it back together....

Does anyone know if JUST this piece can be swapped?
...its the piece where the oil filter screws on / circled in YELLOW above.
...~ perhaps when changing your O-rings, did you notice if this piece can come out...

Brasscatz
07-31-2013, 08:03 PM
I really don't know personally and I couldn't find anything close enough when I searched. I'll keep an eye out for you and let you know if I come up with anything useful

Infidel Edition
08-01-2013, 04:55 PM
I really don't know personally and I couldn't find anything close enough when I searched. I'll keep an eye out for you and let you know if I come up with anything useful

No worries.
I'm tied up all weekend ~ but plan to hit the Pick'N Pull and tinker with their stuff before I tinker with mine.
I'll post what I discover.

89Laredo
08-06-2013, 12:14 AM
Here is what you need, you can look at my other writeups too.
https://emeraldgreen97.wordpress.com/2012/08/02/run-ho-and-oversize-filters-on-your-renix/

Infidel Edition
08-06-2013, 10:56 AM
Here is what you need, you can look at my other writeups too.
https://emeraldgreen97.wordpress.com/2012/08/02/run-ho-and-oversize-filters-on-your-renix/

You are awesome!
I knew someone had to have done this before.
I'm going to knock it out / and replace the O-rings when I get back...

THANKS!

BlueXJ
08-06-2013, 11:08 AM
This is what I did but it is a tight fit for the T60 socket.
http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/filter.html

89Laredo
08-06-2013, 11:38 AM
iirc renix uses a hex head instead of torx.

BlueXJ
08-06-2013, 12:33 PM
iirc renix uses a hex head instead of torx.

My 90 had a T60 torx I remember because I had to buy that socket, my set only went to T55.