PDA

View Full Version : Transmission line fitting for cooler

XJ Wheeler
07-29-2013, 05:28 PM
So I've had this transmission cooler mounted for six months and have been trying to find a female type fitting to go onto the fitting adapter that threads into the top spot on the radiator. But, the fitting supplied with the cooler bottomed out on the adapter at less than one turn. And after searching LONG and hard for a longer one or an adapter or something i found squat.

Here's the female fitting for reference.

http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h401/xj-wheeler/Stormy%202/2012-12-211452110-1.jpg

I tossed that idea, and took me a while to come up with another. It finally hit me, why not just delete the adapter for a male type fitting? And my weary mind goes to "why is it there?, will it be bad to delete it?, when is my sandwich going to be ready?" So, are there any dilemmas or adverse problems i would cause by deleting the adapter??? Or is it just a cheaper way for them to connect the line up???

The trans line and adapter fitting for reference.

http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h401/xj-wheeler/Stormy%202/2013-07-281548540.jpg

The male type fitting i hope to be able to use.

http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h401/xj-wheeler/Stormy%202/2013-07-281549520-1.jpg

So yesterday i took it apart and wanted to test and see how well this one threaded into the radiator. It threaded in just over two times, like 2 1/4 till tight. Second question, is that enough? I don't want it to leak.

Here's a shot comparing the trans cooler fitting and original line/adapter. It (cooler fitting) seems to be just a little longer of the unthreaded portion. Sorry for the horrible shot, it was either glare with the flash or too dark to tell.

http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h401/xj-wheeler/Stormy%202/2013-07-28155822-1.jpg

Thanks in advance, i really want this think hooked up. Its one of those things i feel like i have to do before i get to wheeling! And i have to order another fitting if it will work because i'll be using one for this and one on the line.

Brasscatz
07-29-2013, 07:35 PM
Hmmm.... have you tried looking at and ACE Hardware store? Where did you get the cooler from?

Carves
07-29-2013, 07:42 PM
when is my sandwich going to be ready?

Whilst the pros and cons of utilising the, tranny oil heat exchanger, in the rad ... is a personal choice .. ;);)

I would just bypass the rad altogether ... particularly given your local weather ... and worry about more important things,

Such as whether to have a vegemite sandwich ... or a bacon sandwich .. :D

XJ Wheeler
07-29-2013, 08:36 PM
Hmmm.... have you tried looking at and ACE Hardware store? Where did you get the cooler from?

Yep, i tried more places than i can name. Including a commercial business that does nothing but make hoses and lines.

Its a B&M #70268 stacked plate cooler i got at Advance Auto Parts.

Whilst the pros and cons of utilising the, tranny oil heat exchanger, in the rad ... is a personal choice .. ;);)

I would just bypass the rad altogether ... particularly given your local weather ... and worry about more important things,

I see what you mean but i want to utilize it for two reasons. (1) In the event of a line rupture or collision i can put the lines back to their original routing to get to safety or help. (2) I do eventually plan on moving to a colder climate, where winters are sometimes well below freezing. So that warming feature would come in handy.

And i prefer turkey :eek: :D :D

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

Brasscatz
07-29-2013, 09:09 PM
I don't know bud. I think I personally would be of better use to you in person on this one. It's hard for me to vision exactly what's going on without working on it myself.

XJ Wheeler
07-29-2013, 09:31 PM
I don't know bud. I think I personally would be of better use to you in person on this one. It's hard for me to vision exactly what's going on without working on it myself.

I'm probably making it sound more complicated than it is. :p Basically i want to put the second gold looking fitting in the threaded spot in the radiator to hook the hose to (you can see it in pic#4). And just the two questions to know if i can. Can i delete the adapter? And is just over two turns gonna be good enough to keep it from leaking.

bulrid8
07-29-2013, 11:15 PM
I couldn't find a fitting local that sealed right. I just cut metal pipe about two inches after the bend and put a flare on it. 3/8 rubber tranny hose fits nice and tight on it. Put on a clamp and it will not leak.

Then cut tube right before the rubber part down low and flared it. Connected other hose there. So you have you in and out for aux cooler. If you ever need to bypass aux cooler, you just connect metal tube with rubber hose and you back to stock setup.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

XJ Wheeler
07-29-2013, 11:22 PM
I couldn't find a fitting local that sealed right. I just cut metal pipe about two inches after the bend and put a flare on it. 3/8 rubber tranny hose fits nice and tight on it. Put on a clamp and it will not leak.

Then cut tube right before the rubber part down low and flared it. Connected other hose there. So you have you in and out for aux cooler. If you ever need to bypass aux cooler, you just connect metal tube with rubber hose and you back to stock setup.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

I have thought about it and if this doesn't work i think i'll end up doing this. Just something about not wanting to cut that line i guess. ;)

nickyg
07-30-2013, 01:03 AM

Bacon!!!!! It's always Bacon!!! unless you can you put Bacon on Vegemite?

msmoorenburg
07-30-2013, 07:01 AM
SO what i did was hack this line

http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h401/xj-wheeler/Stormy%202/2013-07-281548540.jpg

and flared it with a flaring tool and hosed clamped it. If ya like you can borrow the tool and get it done :bacondance:

TimmyTXJ
07-30-2013, 07:58 AM
I would love to chime in here but my stupid work computer refuses to display pictures in any of the threads! I have an idea of what you're talking about though, I have the same trans cooler to install on my XJ and I have the same question. I found a writeup on "teh interweb" that I thought had a pretty good solution.

The link to the writeup is here:
http://www.myjeepxj.com/cherokee-repair/transmission-cooler

XJ Wheeler
07-30-2013, 10:03 AM
After thinking about it more, you guys are right. Cutting that line is gonna be easier. And for my "wanting to be able to reattach the line minus the cooler just in case" would be easier this way too. No need to carry that adapter separately, just some of the hose and clamps that will always be on there.

Matt, i gotta head to the parts store anyway so i'll just "rent" one there but i truly appreciate the offer.

4.3LXJ
07-30-2013, 10:34 AM
One trick I have done for stuff like that is to cut the steel line and use the first step of a double flare for steel line. It makes a swelling in the end. Then put the hose on and clamp it and it will remain tight

XJ Wheeler
07-30-2013, 11:12 AM
One trick I have done for stuff like that is to cut the steel line and use the first step of a double flare for steel line. It makes a swelling in the end. Then put the hose on and clamp it and it will remain tight

Hmmm, i'm gonna have to look into this. I've never done a double flare. But i'm all for a better seal. Thanks

4.3LXJ
07-30-2013, 12:02 PM
If you do it for this purpose, do not follow directions for the double flare. There is a set amount of tubing in the mandrel for this. Use a little more tubing and crush downward only until you get a nice little bulge. If you get the kit, then you can make your own brake lines

XJ Wheeler
07-30-2013, 05:02 PM
If you do it for this purpose, do not follow directions for the double flare. There is a set amount of tubing in the mandrel for this. Use a little more tubing and crush downward only until you get a nice little bulge. If you get the kit, then you can make your own brake lines

I rented a kit, although i just need to buy one. Might as well, they're not that expensive.

Anyway, do you have pic of this so i can get it in my head how this goes? :)

4.3LXJ
07-30-2013, 05:25 PM
No, sorry. Never thought I would need a pic. If you need one, I can take a scrap piece of brake line and make one

XJ Wheeler
07-30-2013, 05:39 PM
No, sorry. Never thought I would need a pic. If you need one, I can take a scrap piece of brake line and make one

That's okay, i'll do some research and see what i can find. Thanks, bud. I'll let ya know.

4.3LXJ
07-30-2013, 07:40 PM
That is good. Because I don't have time until I get back from wheeling next week

XJ Wheeler
07-31-2013, 03:31 AM
Steve, i think i figured it out. Is the method you're talking about a "bubble flare"? I compress the tubing to make a bulge but don't finish the double flare by bending the lip inside the first flare?

Not the greatest pic but i found this that i thought would help confirm the question.

msmoorenburg
07-31-2013, 07:32 AM
he is referring to the double flair. Either will work or even a single flair or anything the hose clamp stops on :). After you install the hose give it a good pull, I've seen a few come off and the outcome wasn't pretty.

4.3LXJ
07-31-2013, 09:33 AM
Yes, except you don't make it so sharp. Just a bulge

XJ Wheeler
08-01-2013, 05:38 AM
Well that didn't go quite as well as i thought. The tubing kept sliding in the flaring tool, and yes, i had it sinched down TIGHT. Even did it with the 1/2" ratchet and added a clamp for good measure but just wouldn't stay. I believe i got it done even still... Except for hose clamps. :banghead: Gotta pick up some of those tomorrow because i didn't have the right size.

How's this look? The one on the left is my first attempt, i don't know how it turn out tilted. :rolleyes:

And one more question. Am i okay to point this line up to attach the hose to the cooler? I feel its probably no big deal but with fluids and pressure i just wanted to be sure. It lines up a lot better turned up.

Brasscatz
08-01-2013, 07:33 AM
I think it should be fine. The atf will flow through it if it's pointing up

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 because my microwave couldn't do it

4.3LXJ
08-01-2013, 09:13 AM
Actually the one on the left is all you really need. Just a little swelling does the trick

XJ Wheeler
08-01-2013, 02:13 PM
Awesome, thanks guys.

XJ Wheeler
08-21-2013, 04:39 PM
Figured i would post a pic of the finished product, may be informative to others.