PDA

View Full Version : Which Winch?

Mudderoy
07-29-2013, 01:28 PM
The JCR Offroad winch bumper comes in today, and well eventually I'm going to want to buy a winch.

I have what I consider to be a good winch, not quite a Warn, but good quality.

I think I can cheap out on this winch. What do you guys think a good winch for the TJ would be. Nice balance between cheap and functional?

graverobberjk
07-29-2013, 01:45 PM
I have been looking at the smittybilt X20 8 for my JK the specs on it look good, only draw back is that its $399.99

Mudderoy
07-29-2013, 01:47 PM
I have been looking at the smittybilt X20 8 for my JK the specs on it look good, only draw back is that its $399.99

Yeah that part sucks. I have a SuperWinch epi 9.0 on my XJ and I got it for $499 and free shipping. Can't get that now of course, if I could I would just buy another one.

reddragon72
07-29-2013, 02:08 PM
build a better rig so you never need a winch ;)

but seriously I am looking at those el cheapo harbor freight ones as I have seen tons of guys with those and they never failed.

Mudderoy
07-29-2013, 02:21 PM
build a better rig so you never need a winch ;)

but seriously I am looking at those el cheapo harbor freight ones as I have seen tons of guys with those and they never failed.

No such thing.

4.3LXJ
07-29-2013, 02:30 PM
Four Wheeler did a winch comparison and gave he Harbor Freight winch good reviews ........... up until they took it out of the box. The one that was a surprise in the cheap winch category was the Chicago Electric. Performed right in there with the Warns

Mudderoy
07-29-2013, 02:37 PM
Four Wheeler did a winch comparison and gave he Harbor Freight winch good reviews ........... up until they took it out of the box. The one that was a surprise in the cheap winch category was the Chicago Electric. Performed right in there with the Warns

:smiley-laughing021: So many things look good on paper.

reddragon72
07-29-2013, 03:01 PM
:smiley-laughing021: So many things look good on paper.

I've seen these cheapo's working very well and since you don't use it a lot I figured the cheaper one will work great since they got tons of use at Spring Creek ORP.

Mudderoy
07-29-2013, 03:04 PM
I've seen these cheapo's working very well and since you don't use it a lot I figured the cheaper one will work great since they got tons of use at Spring Creek ORP.

This is the critical bit of my request and personal challenge.

Nice balance between cheap and functional?

The problem with a cheap winch is Murphy's law dictates it will fail when you need it the most. :out:

nateyz2000
07-29-2013, 11:33 PM
I bought a tuffstuff 9500 for $250... It is made in the same factory as the smittybuilt... It is worked fine the few times I have used it

cantab27
07-30-2013, 12:03 AM
gone from warn to super winch......I use mine heaps and in comp events ...nice and can handle what I throw at it ...re cheap its like anything on ya jeep it all needs looking after ..easy to pull down, and work it now and again .....

denverd1
07-30-2013, 11:10 AM
Hmm so you want a cheap winch. but you don't want a cheap winch. :crazy:

FWIW I put the engo 10K on my XJ. $300 IIRC. My jeep is red, so I've never used it.

Mudderoy
07-30-2013, 12:00 PM
Matt reminded me that Rene (rguignard) beat his Smittybilt XRC 8 to death, literally, so I ordered one of those. $299 :(

bigjim350
07-30-2013, 02:42 PM
Matt reminded me that Rene (rguignard) beat his Smittybilt XRC 8 to death, literally, so I ordered one of those. $299 :(

Rene did have a few problems with solenoids every once in a while. But they always warrantied them.

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk 2

Rustbucket
07-31-2013, 08:16 AM
The JCR Offroad winch bumper comes in today, and well eventually I'm going to want to buy a winch.

I have what I consider to be a good winch, not quite a Warn, but good quality.

I think I can cheap out on this winch. What do you guys think a good winch for the TJ would be. Nice balance between cheap and functional?

Can't comment on the winch, but that jcr bumper was money well spent.

msmoorenburg
07-31-2013, 08:20 AM
well the XCR8 did bend the detours backbone i have sooo i say its good to go :)

GB.XJ.MI
08-01-2013, 08:00 AM
I have the smitty xrc8 with synthetic on my blue XJ with the jcr bumper and a warn m8000 and another jcr bumper on my green XJ. I have abused the smitty. To the extent of dead heading it, snapping the line, and breaking the control box. Mended it back together and it keeps coming back for more. The warn seems to not bog down as much under heavy loads and is a little faster which I've only had to use once... But I'm happy with both products and would suggest both depending on budget.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

Mudderoy
08-01-2013, 09:15 AM
I ordered the Smitybilt XRC 8 for $308 (shipped) from Summit Racing!

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/smt-97281

It was the best deal I could find. Summit charges $8 for oversized, heavy (something like that) otherwise it would have been $299.99.

I have Amazon Prime, but they are collecting tax now, so it would have been $321, or something like that.

Also I am quite happy and surprised that it is scheduled to be delivered today, a mere two days after ordering.

You guys keep those winch recommendations coming in. I'm sure I'm not the only one that wants to know this stuff!

4.3LXJ
08-01-2013, 09:23 AM
Summit always gets your stuff to you fast. Mine comes the next day if I order before 3 PM

prcjeep
08-01-2013, 09:50 AM
I have the smitty xrc8 with synthetic on my blue XJ with the jcr bumper and a warn m8000 and another jcr bumper on my green XJ. I have abused the smitty. To the extent of dead heading it, snapping the line, and breaking the control box. Mended it back together and it keeps coming back for more. The warn seems to not bog down as much under heavy loads and is a little faster which I've only had to use once... But I'm happy with both products and would suggest both depending on budget.

NICE RACK!

http://www.xjtalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3251&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1375361820

only the second person I've seen with it on any forum.

GB.XJ.MI
08-01-2013, 10:39 AM
Thanks. Thats also a great jcr product. The new one they're making is even better!

Midknight
08-17-2013, 01:01 AM
Are Mile Marker winches good? No one has even mentioned them

Dredwolf
08-17-2013, 01:11 AM
Are Mile Marker winches good? No one has even mentioned them

As many on here will say, a winch that works when you need it is a "good winch".

MileMarker has been in business a long time, that does mean something.

Years ago, you had Warn, Ramsey, MileMarker, Superwinch, and something called a Hickey Sidewinder...

A LOT of winches now are made in the big factory district in China, and re-badged..

My Smittybuilt X20 8 is one of those.:rolleyes:

Have you got a good deal on the MileMarker?

Midknight
08-17-2013, 01:23 AM
299 for an 8K with wire rope. Same price as yall were talkin about

Dredwolf
08-17-2013, 01:39 AM
299 for an 8K with wire rope. Same price as yall were talkin about

Thats generally considered a good deal for an 8K winch, especially one that you should be able to get parts for, like a MileMarker.

Anything extra for shipping? Reliable vendor? If those things are fine, then the MileMarker should be a good buy.

Some will argue "WARN or DIE" but that also depends on how many times a day you will be pulling that cable out...

In my case, the Smittybuilt fits the need vs cost, but if I build a mud runner, I might consider something else.

And for my farm truck, a Harbor Freight Badlands 12K should do fine...

Midknight
08-17-2013, 02:23 AM
4 wheel parts has a nice warrenty on the smittybilts so I might just go with the 8K with synthetic rope

Mudderoy
08-17-2013, 03:09 AM
4 wheel parts has a nice warrenty on the smittybilts so I might just go with the 8K with synthetic rope

And old :xjtalk: member just beat the hell out of his winch, replaced solinodes once or twice. That's why I went with the Smitybilt on the wife's jeep. Now if it was on mine, SuperWinch or Warn

gary63
08-17-2013, 08:51 AM
superwinch useto have a group of winchs that had a back-up hand crank so if you lost power you could stell hand crank your self out. I uncle have 3 of them and I have used them twis and they work ok.

4.3LXJ
08-17-2013, 10:29 AM
I have a Milemarker 9K I got a good deal on from 4 Wheel parts. Worked well until the brushes lost contact with the armature. Failed me when I needed it. The wife was with me that time and told me I needed a good winch. So I bought the Warn. :D

I have since repaired the Mile Marker and will use it later.

Dredwolf
08-17-2013, 09:57 PM
...The wife was with me that time and told me I needed a good winch. So I bought the Warn. :D

Some of my best purchases were obtained with that tactic...once the wife TELLS you that you NEED something you wanted, that is considered a hands-down approval. Have to be careful to not set your pants pocket on fire ripping the wallet out....

Yep, thats when the good tools and accessories get bought. ;)

4.3LXJ
08-18-2013, 12:03 AM
She thinks we need a second Jeep now :D

Had to call for help last trip :D

XJ Wheeler
08-18-2013, 04:01 AM
I have since repaired the Mile Marker and will use it later.

Is it going in the XJs rear bumper?

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

bad luck
08-18-2013, 07:19 AM
Thanks. Thats also a great jcr product. The new one they're making is even better!

I like your jeep. Have you or are you doing a build thread on it?

bad luck
08-18-2013, 07:29 AM
I may buy a winch soon, I have never owned one before. I did talk to the TJM guy during jeep week here. He said that they own the factory in China where their winches are built, and they keep a very close check on the quality. Also the Come up, winch guys said that their winches are built in Taiwan, and that makes a big difference in the quality. Who knows? I certainly don't. I don't know if I should spend more money for a warn, or superwinch or try one of these others, a lot of times we go by ourselves on trips, so maybe one of the older name brands might be best.

4.3LXJ
08-18-2013, 09:58 AM

Yup, it will displace soda pop on long trips :D

I originally built that bumper around that size of winch

4.3LXJ
08-18-2013, 10:00 AM
a lot of times we go by ourselves on trips, so maybe one of the older name brands might be best.

That is why I have one

Mudderoy
08-18-2013, 12:15 PM

That's what I was thinking.

4.3LXJ
08-18-2013, 12:17 PM
Yup, that is the plan. But I need to buy cable or preferably rope for it. That is just not high enough on the list right now. But heading there

bad luck
08-21-2013, 01:57 PM
I found this on Craigslist the other day. I think are supposed to be very good winches, just a little heavy and kind of slow. I called Superwinch to find out if parts were still available for it, they are. And the guy there said they don't sell that many of them because the list price is over $2000. So I paid $600 for it, the winch has never been installed or used. So what do you think?

4.3LXJ
08-21-2013, 02:21 PM
That is not a bad price really for an unused winch. Be interesting to see where it was manufactured

bad luck
08-21-2013, 02:35 PM
That's easy, it was manufactured in England. But the motor is from the U.S. And I don't think I mentioned it but this is a worm drive winch, so it doesn't need a brake.

4.3LXJ
08-21-2013, 02:36 PM
Well worth it then. I noticed the mounting is not standard with the motor hanging down. Probably have to do a custom mount

bad luck
08-21-2013, 02:39 PM
Your right, it is not a standard mount, I already was planning on making up some kind of custom mount.

Dredwolf
08-22-2013, 09:19 PM
Bob,

If I recall my Four Wheel magazine editions correctly, that thing was used with the Camel Trophy (or a Husky model like it).

That thing should be a beast, like the Ramsey worm gear winches.

Good find!

Dredwolf
08-22-2013, 09:23 PM
Superwinch 2404A Husky 10, 12VDC winch, rated line pull 10, 000 lb/4, 536 kg with roller fairlead : Amazon.com : Automotive@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41gmC1VogIL.@@AMEPARAM@@41gmC1VogIL

$1425.36.....

:notworthy:

bad luck
08-24-2013, 06:06 PM
Thank you John, I also did a little more research it is supposed to be a great winch, I think any worm drive winch is supposed to be pretty good though. I wish it was a little lighter though. And I'm not sure when I will get it mounted.

KMW-NWXJ
10-07-2013, 11:38 PM
I have a Recon 10,500 that I bought for $400 three years ago. Came with synthetic line, hawse fairlead, and both corded and wireless remotes. I've used it a bunch of times and its never had an issue. I would buy another in a heartbeat.

http://www.rdmoffroad.com/images/products/detail/10500winch.jpg

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk now Free ('http://tapatalk.com/m?id=10')

abebehrmann
10-08-2013, 07:58 AM
I have a Recon 10,500 that I bought for $400 three years ago. Came with synthetic line, hawse fairlead, and both corded and wireless remotes. I've used it a bunch of times and its never had an issue. I would buy another in a heartbeat.

http://www.rdmoffroad.com/images/products/detail/10500winch.jpg

now Free ('http://tapatalk.com/m?id=10')

Wow, I had never heard of that winch before but that looks like a great winch at an awesome price. The reviews on Amazon are pretty much all positive too.

KMW-NWXJ
10-08-2013, 02:03 PM
Yeah, when I was looking I couldn't find any bad reviews on it. Their service seems good too. Shortly after I got mine I noticed a chip in the chrome on the clutch handle, and it was starting to peel. I called them and they just sent me a new handle for free, even though it was probably a rock chip rather that defective plating.

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk now Free ('http://tapatalk.com/m?id=10')