PDA

View Full Version : CamShaft Position Sensor Check Engine Light

JeepFreak
07-28-2013, 09:43 PM
So before my radiator blew a few days ago (for a different reason than the Check Engine light), I got a PO341 OBD I Code which translates roughly to the Camshaft Position Sensor the same day as the radiator blowing. Now my question is, can I fix it myself or is this a mechanic job? I understand that driving it is ok as long as the car does not detect a major misfire in the cylinders. It is my understanding that it will just be in "limp-in/limp-home mode" giving me horrible gas mileage and all around crappy efficiency with potential damage if it gets really bad as well as not starting. Now what exactly does this mean in mechanical terms and how bad will it get? The car seemed to run fine anyway, no weird idle or problems running around town and the freeway. Being a novice mechanic to be, what exactly does my camshaft do and what does the sensor do? :confused:

Carves
07-28-2013, 10:05 PM
The Camshaft Sensor is used to synchronise the injectors for correct fuel delivery.

Both it and the Crankshaft Sensor share fuel delivery jobs.

If you nutted the code out as a PO341 ... then the issue is ... A problem with the voltage signal that the PCM ( computer ) is receiving.

Cause of that could be as simple as ...
a dirty connector i.e. the plug next to the distributor housing,
a short in the wiring where its rubbing on something,
or the sensor is failing.

Cam Sensor can cause similiar engine cutout issues, as the Crank Sensor ... Not surprising since they are both, a sensor type, that dont like hot, dirty work environments ... but they don't normally fail as often as the crank sensor.

That code may not even be a current problem ... it might have happened a while back and is just still in the PCMs memory. Clear the code/CEL .... and see if it comes back.

JeepFreak
07-28-2013, 10:25 PM
The Camshaft Sensor is used to synchronise the injectors for correct fuel delivery.

Both it and the Crankshaft Sensor share fuel delivery jobs.

If you nutted the code out as a PO341 ... then the issue is ... A problem with the voltage signal that the PCM ( computer ) is receiving.

Cause of that could be as simple as ...
a dirty connector i.e. the plug next to the distributor housing,
a short in the wiring where its rubbing on something,
or the sensor is failing.

Cam Sensor can cause similiar engine cutout issues, as the Crank Sensor ... Not surprising since they are both, a sensor type, that dont like hot, dirty work environments ... but they don't normally fail as often as the crank sensor.

That code may not even be a current problem ... it might have happened a while back and is just still in the PCMs memory. Clear the code/CEL .... and see if it comes back.

Well what makes me believe that it is a current problem is that the check engine light has never come on in the two and a half years I have owned this vehicle and more than that when my grandparents owned it. Not only that but the cam sensor is the stock part and I did replace the distributor cap (if we're talking about the same distributor) only a few months ago. Is it an easy fix and if so where is it and what does it look like?

Carves
07-28-2013, 10:30 PM
Well what makes me believe that it is a current problem is that the check engine light has never come on in the two and a half years I have owned this vehicle and more than that when my grandparents owned it. Not only that but the cam sensor is the stock part and I did replace the distributor cap (if we're talking about the same distributor) only a few months ago. Is it an easy fix and if so where is it and what does it look like?

Def sounds like its a current problem then .. :D

Take your dissy cap off again ... and there it is .. :cool:

Round, flat, plastic thing with a bump on it ... and the coupla inches of wire/plug.

I can probably drum up a :camera: if you need one.

JeepFreak
07-28-2013, 10:45 PM
Def sounds like its a current problem then .. :D

Take your dissy cap off again ... and there it is .. :cool:

Round, flat, plastic thing with a bump on it ... and the coupla inches of wire/plug.

I can probably drum up a :camera: if you need one.

A pic would be good since my Jeep is at the shop so I am not able to look at it right now. I'm assuming it was the little wiring on the bottom of the Dis. Probably messed that up a little since it was the original stock dissy lol Hopefully I can fix it relatively easy.

Carves
07-28-2013, 11:39 PM
http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/Engine/Distributor_and_Stator/HO_Sync_Pulse_Generator.gif

JeepFreak
07-28-2013, 11:42 PM
http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/Engine/Distributor_and_Stator/HO_Sync_Pulse_Generator.gif

Sonofa....-sigh-...I definitely probably tweaked that without knowing it.