PDA

View Full Version : If its not one thing, its another...

cherokeepeavy
07-25-2013, 08:55 PM
So I got my injectors replaced, thanks for the tips on that. But now, I'm over heating. I thought it was my radiator because only my top hose was the only hose getting hot and my radiator was still cool. I just replaced out and thought that would be the end of my problems. I Took it for a test drive and what happens, the damn thing ran hot. What else should I check or replace the water pump? Please help :bang:if you can.

Brasscatz
07-25-2013, 09:25 PM
You can check the water pump, thermostat, fan clutch, electric fan, heater core (for blockage).

So after you replaced the radiator, was the top hose the only thing that was hot again? If so, you have something blocked up somewhere. I would start by replacing the thermostat and flushing out the heater core first. You can also check your mechanical fan clutch by trying to spin it while the Jeep is hot. If there's decent resistance, it's probably good. Make sure your electric fan is coming on when it reaches 218* or so, and make sure your fan shroud is in place as well. Replacing the water pump would be close to the bottom of the list to replace in my opinion.

bigjim350
07-25-2013, 09:29 PM
I would make sure you don't have any air in the cooling system. If you do, it would make it run hot

Sent from my SPH-L300 using Tapatalk 2

XJ Wheeler
07-26-2013, 02:14 AM
What's the characteristics of its overheating? How hot? When going fast, slow, stopped, etc? Any more specifics you noticed? These answers can give much insight into what's going on in there.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

denverd1
07-26-2013, 10:22 AM
Agree with Jimbo. burp it

dagod16
07-27-2013, 05:29 AM
Hopefully you can do some of the work yourself...... I would replace the water pump, thermostat and housing, and the upper and lower hoses. They are cheap to replace and your gonna need to do it eventually or get stuck out on the road. How many miles on the vehicle? I bet it's the heater core. You have a blockage or a lack of flow!

Hopefully you can do some of the work yourself...... I would replace the water pump, thermostat and housing, and the upper and lower hoses. They are cheap to replace and your gonna need to do it eventually or get stuck. How many miles on the vehicle. I bet it's the heater core. You have a blockage or a lack of flow!

Infidel Edition
07-28-2013, 12:31 AM
... the damn thing ran hot. What else should I check or replace the water pump? Please help :bang:if you can.

Define "overheating"
Are we talking radiator fluid blowing in the air?
Engine knocks and dies?
Or just the gauge says a hot range?

...though the tips above are all good for regular upkeep anyway.
But jeeps are HOT BLOODED. And what I thought was overheating was unrelated.

That said, I'm gonna install an oil cooler... swap the thermostat for a 185° vs. the stock 195°... and mod the engine compartment to better vent heat.

And BTW if no one told you, "J E E P" stands for Just Empty Every Pocket.
By the time you've replaced every thing that's broke... you'll have a new jeep:bacondance:

Infidel Edition
07-28-2013, 10:24 AM
...have you read the 'overheat' thread?
http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=544

dagod16
07-29-2013, 07:16 AM
JEEP Just empty every pocket. So true my friend so true.

Which is why my next vehicle will be a consumer report ranked for reliability.

cherokeepeavy
08-07-2013, 03:34 PM
thats all it needed. i appreciate the help.

Infidel Edition
08-08-2013, 03:43 PM
thats all it needed. i appreciate the help.

So, did you find a good answer?
...or did the "empty every pocket" / "consumer report..." stuff deter your plans?