PDA

View Full Version : Rought Country?

Hercules
07-24-2013, 07:54 PM
I'm thinking about purchasing this lift. I like it because I need new shocks anyway and they are included in the package.
http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep_xj_3.html
This will be my first lift and I do not have a ton of money and I think this one looks good. Anyone used rough country lifts? Share pros and cons. Also, with a 3 inch lift will I need brake line extenders or anything else. Is this kit all inclusive like it says? What other advice do you have for a first time suspension lift kit buyer? Thanks

4.3LXJ
07-24-2013, 08:03 PM
Add a leaves are serviceable. I have used them. But bear in mind you will be replacing them someday because they don't last forever. Full leaf packs are better if you can afford them

budgetxjmcknight
07-24-2013, 08:44 PM
Have a buddy that got a 4.5" from RC. He loved it but spent a little more for extras. It was a really nice lift and rode better than the tired worn stock crap. Check out ZONE off-road lifts if you are on a budget, I have yet to get my 3" from them but have looked into it pretty far and that's who I'm going to go with. I do agree on full leaf packs, still trying to save for it.

XJ Wheeler
07-24-2013, 10:19 PM
Yeah, i agree. If you can swing them new leaf packs will be worth it. Add a leafs are okay in them selves but if you're putting them on original packs they are 12 years old and very commonly sagging so it wears out the add a leaf quicker too.

On the brake hoses, you can either relocate the brake line mounting bracket lower or get longer lines. I personally like the latter option, stressing the old brake lines to move the bracket seems like a bad idea to me. I believe yj wrangler brake hoses bolt up and allow for up to 4" of lift but let me confirm that before you take it to heart.

Confirmation on the yj brake hoses.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

bigjim350
07-24-2013, 10:47 PM
I run a rough country lift. The shocks are not very good. I have 3 that are blown out. And they wont warranty them.

Infidel Edition
07-25-2013, 09:46 AM
Junk yard pick'ins...
Find an S10 at the local pick'n pull and those leafs will give you about 4"

...more if you measure from the other end :rolleye0012:

EekGirl96
07-25-2013, 09:51 AM
I was running a 6.5" RC lift on my XJ and loved it....didnt have any problems what so ever.

People say that their customer service sucks but I havent seen that, theyve always replaced parts or sent me new ones if they forgot to ship it out in the package (which they are notorious for doing)

I would also suggest getting full leaf packs and not the add-a-leaf....

I think for the price its well worth it but thats my opinion

Mudderoy
07-25-2013, 09:57 AM
I've purchased 3 Rough Country lift kits, and installed 2 of them personal, recently.

A 4" lift for the wife's TJ and a 3" lift for the 1999 XJ my girls drive. I think the shocks they sold with my 4.5" kit that is on my 1998 5 years ago were sucky, with that said the rear shocks are still in use and doing well. The front shocks were replace and bumped up a "quality" notch when I was getting cupping on the front MT's.

I will probably upgrade to the new RC N2.0 shocks. I may do some research first and see if there is a better price/performance shock than RC's but bottom line is other than the 32" MT's cupping the RC shocks have been fine.