PDA

View Full Version : Clutch PEE / New Clutch Master / Known Issue Help?

Infidel Edition
07-23-2013, 05:03 PM
OK. I knew the clutch master was leaking way back.
Also knew that the leak is a known jeep issue from at least the late 80's.:mad:

A few months back, I swapped out the master and haven't had a leak since ~ that I've noticed. In fact, I've only had to top it off a time or two.
** but I've always parked it in a spot where it was level or the front was slightly lower than the rear (if that makes a diff).

Recently, I pulled the carpet and I have a clean (or lack there of) sign that it's leaking. ** dripping from the back of the clutch peddle. But I don't know if it's a newly started leak... or if it's been leaking since the swap.
Someone had parked in my normal spot, so it was positioned with the front higher than the rear for a few days last week ~ which is when I noticed!

So... Is there a long term trick to fixing that leak?
I mean short of getting rid of the clutch all together?
I just replaced the master (new from O'Reilly's) about 2,000 miles ago. :bang:

Infidel Edition
07-24-2013, 05:45 PM
Parked level again...
no leak.

It's almost like the plunger was just poorly designed by an engineers assistant?
And there were no instructions ~ like turn it clockwise until snug to ensure it's properly seated. Though I think it was a rubber cap over the end of ??

OhWell. I'll figure something out.

Infidel Edition
07-24-2013, 07:30 PM
So I looked at something else on the floor and noticed this

And the fusebox is soaked!
...I sprayed it off with electric clean after I took this ic

Gonna head back to OReilly!
FFFFFF'ing crap

Infidel Edition
07-25-2013, 10:48 PM
So I got the replacement (lifetime warranty) today.
More solid out of the box and the cap actually fits!

I think the issue is the same

The point where the plunger goes in ~ if it isn't fully out (think foot off the pedal direction) then there is some play... micro gap type play.
I believe its just a bad design!, but might have an idea... the plunger isn't adjustable. Nor is the pedal's distance from the floor.
And when installed, the plunger is a mm or 2 too long. So it is pressed ever so slightly when sitting.
I added a couple washers and a custom gasket and got it so the pedal has to be pressed 2 or 5 mm to line up with the plunger. Thus, when my foot is off the pedal (ie. when parked overnight) it should be fully extended ~ and thus no gap.

Maybe...
I'm still going to make a cover for the fuse box because I don't know if its gonna do it again!