PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum

Tristan89xj
07-23-2013, 04:16 PM
Theres a pill looking thing under my bumper that has a spot for 4 diffenent hoses, but one of the fittings is broke both on the hose and on the pill. so what im wondering is what does the small hose on the drivers side of the pill do and if i buy a new one can i just get an new fitting for the hose and not replace the whole line.

4.3LXJ
07-23-2013, 04:56 PM
Passenger side? Then it is the vacuum reservoir. Gotta have it for your cruise to work if you have it and HVAC controls to function properly

Tristan89xj
07-23-2013, 05:08 PM
thank you very much thats what i was thinking but didnt know for sure

budgetxjmcknight
07-23-2013, 06:58 PM
I moved mine due to bumper mods they are kinda fragile on an 89.

Infidel Edition
08-27-2013, 09:59 AM
Passenger side? Then it is the vacuum reservoir. Gotta have it for your cruise to work if you have it and HVAC controls to function properly

So the bumper can is for cruise and HVAC?
What about the can under the rad.fluid in front of the passenger side firewall?

... have you come across any threads on vacuum line removal?
I'd like to pull all the extra crap lines I can.
Already plugged off the front axle. And I don't use cruise...

4.3LXJ
08-27-2013, 10:26 AM
So the bumper can is for cruise and HVAC?
What about the can under the rad.fluid in front of the passenger side firewall?

... have you come across any threads on vacuum line removal?
I'd like to pull all the extra crap lines I can.
Already plugged off the front axle. And I don't use cruise...

The HVAC controls are activated by vacuum. The reservoir is there to offset a momentary loss of vacuum of you depress he throttle all the way. Also, on early models, there is a vacuum disconnect on the front axle. It should also have its own check valve so it will not disconnect when needed. As far as removing vacuum, I don't know where all the lines go on your engine, but I would be cautious about that. This is a fuel injected engine, not like the miles of vacuum for the earlier carburated engines.

Infidel Edition
08-27-2013, 12:18 PM
My vacuum disco doesn't work ~ so that's already plugged off & the ring permanently locked.
The cruise doesn't work either (and I don't use it when it does), but I didn't know that was part of the vacuum system.

The engine is on a separate loop for the most part (far as I can tell).
But the only vacuum diagrams I've been able to pull are engine / emissions specific.

I've been looking at pulling a vacuum cube from a '94 ZJ (looks like a large match box w/ 3 connection points vs. 4).
But if the only thing left running with that can is the HVAC, I'd plug 1 and stick it under the radiator res.

4.3LXJ
08-27-2013, 12:37 PM
OK, but be aware if you start messing with emissions stuff that is computer controlled, you can have a loss of power or milage. That stuff is there for a reason.

F1Addict
08-29-2013, 05:34 PM
What about the can under the rad.fluid in front of the passenger side firewall?...

That is the charcoal canister.

Infidel Edition
09-03-2013, 06:33 PM
That is the charcoal canister.

so not vacuum?
...what is its purpose?

and do I ever need to clean either / & how?

4.3LXJ
09-03-2013, 06:34 PM
It traps gas fumes from the tank. No maintenance necessary

Infidel Edition
09-03-2013, 09:35 PM
It traps gas fumes from the tank. No maintenance necessary

chili dogs with extra onions for dinr
...I could use 1 of those in my livingroom:spongebob: