PDA

View Full Version : AC refill or AC clutch?

dagod16
07-22-2013, 06:30 PM
So my AC clutch makes noise driving down the highway. Ussually when I give it some gas, more of a chirp. I'm positive it is the AC clutch. During the morning and night the AC is freezing cold, during the day in 95 degree heat it is just cool to warm. I ordered an AC clutch and I am going to replace it. $37 dollars.

Could it be a bad AC clutch or low coolant and the compressor won't run correctly until it has the correct amount of coolant?

I hooked up a pressure gauge. One of the cheap ones that comes with the 134a coolant. When the compressor was clicked "on" it was 29 psi of coolant when clicked "off" it was as high as 62. If I am reading this correct I should have 50 to 55 psi of coolant in the system.

Can coolant of psi 28/29 make that much of a difference compared to 50 to 55 psi?

Thanks ALL

4.3LXJ
07-22-2013, 06:57 PM
Yes, it can make a lot of difference. But if it chirps I am of the opinion the belt s slipping instead. But since you have the clutch, you might as well replace it.

Also, since it is low, you might be freezing the coil which would explain the rise in air temp when the weather is warmest and the AC working the hardest

dagod16
07-22-2013, 09:40 PM
The belt is perfectly tight, I had it checked when I rotated the tires.

With 195K on her, my xj made 6 3hour trip to six flags and back home and to chicago a few times, an no problems. It runs pretty good.

Which type of 134 should I put into the system, does anyone have a particular brand?

dagod16
07-22-2013, 09:44 PM
I was thinking maybe this kit.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Quest-R134a-Sub-Zero-rechill-kit/_/N-259q?itemIdentifier=667632_0_0_