PDA

View Full Version : Dome light puzzler

jeepin_idaho
07-22-2013, 12:11 PM
My brother in law just bought a 99 XJ with the roof console * jealous * and he couldn't figure or why none of the dome lights were working. I stepped in and within 5 seconds diagnosed the problem as being..... No light bulbs! After a quick run to auto zone we picked up the bulbs and went out to install them.

I stuck a bulb in and it came right on..... And stayed on. This is where the puzzle starts: the doors were all closed. The headlights were off. The dimmer was down. I clicked the push button light switch. Nothing would turn the lights off.

I figure that the previous owner pulled the bulbs because this issue existed and was running the battery flat. So what is causing the lights to stay on?

Dan
http://the4x4podcast.com

4.3LXJ
07-22-2013, 12:27 PM
I suggest investigating that driver side door switch to start. You probably have one stuck in the open position somewhere. Don't forget the switch in the tailgate too

jeepin_idaho
07-22-2013, 12:48 PM
At a visual inspection they all look to be okay. I don't have a multimeter with me since I'm just visiting. I'd like to pull them all and check for continuity

Dan

nickyg
07-22-2013, 01:43 PM
You want a puzzle? My dome light and buzzer didn’t work. Then one day while trying to remove the wheel bearing from the knuckle I used the deep well socket jammed in-between the bearing and the axle trick. The socket wasn’t seated right . When I turned the steering wheel the socket shot out, hit the floor board under the drivers seat. And behold my dome lights and buzzer has worked ever since.
Who knows what kind of gremlins lurk in the wiring harness of jeeps?

prerunner1982
07-22-2013, 01:48 PM
As posted on the 4x4podcast facebook page..... I agree that it's the door switches.

BlueXJ
07-22-2013, 03:05 PM
One other thing, the door switches are the most likely but if they are not the culprit then investigate a bad headlight switch. They went bad in Renix era Jeeps and caused the same problem.

Mudderoy
07-23-2013, 03:07 PM
At a visual inspection they all look to be okay. I don't have a multimeter with me since I'm just visiting. I'd like to pull them all and check for continuity

Dan

My 99 had a bad one. Replaced it, all good again. The bad one was the driver's door, the door that was used the most.

Infidel Edition
07-28-2013, 12:40 AM
You want a puzzle? My dome light and buzzer didn’t work. Then one day while trying to remove the wheel bearing from the knuckle I used the deep well socket jammed in-between the bearing and the axle trick. The socket wasn’t seated right . When I turned the steering wheel the socket shot out, hit the floor board under the drivers seat. And behold my dome lights and buzzer has worked ever since.
Who knows what kind of gremlins lurk in the wiring harness of jeeps?

Its like I tell my sis'
It's the nut behind the wheel:P

Hey. Not that its a fix, but remove the doors from the loop and just put a toggle switch.:sign0181:

Seriously, one at a time, pull each door-open button and you'll find 1 that's taunting you.
Otherwise, check the headlight switch.