PDA

View Full Version : Pic request of the bolts used to hold up the AW4 Trans pan.

ArmyGuy45
07-19-2013, 11:30 PM
I noticed there were different head styles when I changed my trans gasket and filtered and figured that they were probably just replaced and didnt need to go back in order. Well now I have a transmission leak and was wondering if anyone else has different bolt head patterns under their XJ and if they could snap a pic of them so I can put mine back in correct order to see if that is the leak.

4.3LXJ
07-19-2013, 11:44 PM
Matt, it is not the bolt order, but the dimples in the pan around the bolt holes that don't allow it to seal properly. I use a small, I mean very small, ball peen hammer to straighten those holes. I also like to use good gasket sealer on that pan especially if I use synthetic oil. If you ever saw my little hammer you would laugh. But that and making gaskets is the only thing I use it for

ArmyGuy45
07-19-2013, 11:51 PM
Matt, it is not the bolt order, but the dimples in the pan around the bolt holes that don't allow it to seal properly. I use a small, I mean very small, ball peen hammer to straighten those holes. I also like to use good gasket sealer on that pan especially if I use synthetic oil. If you ever saw my little hammer you would laugh. But that and making gaskets is the only thing I use it for

Dimples from tightening down the bolts? Like around the bolt holes? If so, I didnt even look at those when I was putting it together.

4.3LXJ
07-20-2013, 09:30 AM
Yes, you are guaranteed to have them. It happens when tightening them. My son made this same mistake on Project TJ Resurrection and it leaked.

ArmyGuy45
07-20-2013, 09:40 AM
Yes, you are guaranteed to have them. It happens when tightening them. My son made this same mistake on Project TJ Resurrection and it leaked.

Will look at it, thx for the tip.

ArmyGuy45
07-28-2013, 08:56 AM
Ok, I am admitting defeat. New gasket (Felpro) and RTV and the thing still leaks. I tried making sure the surface was smooth and hammered out any dents. I am going to turn it in to a mechanic and let them deal with it. I just hope they can fix it before my inspection is due for tags.

PS. If it is a warped pan, where can I get one?

Brasscatz
07-28-2013, 12:23 PM
I would check RockAuto.com. They have pretty good prices and should have it in stock.

ArmyGuy45
07-31-2013, 09:38 AM
Good and bad news. The transmission pan was bent at the corners near the drain plug. Bent it back and added some more RTV. Good to go. Thanks all for the help.