PDA

View Full Version : Extremely Loud Knocking From Rear End

McChoka
07-19-2013, 06:17 PM
extremely,loud,knocking,rear,okee, there was a slight knocking in the rear end that was allegedly from the "locker" (or so the guy said). But today my tranny slipped and then popped back in and essentially neutral dropped itself. The result was a very loud and hard knocking and banging from my rear end, around the middle of the rear axle (the big thing in the middle, I don't know the name). And a piece of metal punched its way through that same casing, causing it to leak. Obviously it isn't drive able right now... I was wondering if anyone had any insight on what in the hell I did to my poor Jeep.

4.3LXJ
07-19-2013, 06:28 PM
If you have metal poking through, that is not good. You will need to pull the rear cover. Take a pic and post it and we will know more

SeniorGustas
07-19-2013, 06:37 PM
you have metal coming through the middle of you diferential? this thing? http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.4x4wire.com/jeep/tech/axle/xj_dana44_02/cover_dana35c.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.4x4wire.com/jeep/tech/axle/xj_dana44_02/&h=480&w=640&sz=70&tbnid=GzkqPq2z4tN_ZM:&tbnh=100&tbnw=133&zoom=1&usg=__7UUAQqjrHNURd2Your_cc8gmu2E=&docid=_98gtX6NBcylKM&sa=X&ei=uc3pUYytHYe9igKGm4DABw&ved=0CEcQ9QEwAg&dur=229

nickyg
07-19-2013, 07:08 PM
It was probably a result of abuse from the previous owner. On the bright side, you now have the opportunity to upgrade.

Mudderoy
07-20-2013, 03:49 PM
extremely,loud,knocking,rear,okee, there was a slight knocking in the rear end that was allegedly from the "locker" (or so the guy said). But today my tranny slipped and then popped back in and essentially neutral dropped itself. The result was a very loud and hard knocking and banging from my rear end, around the middle of the rear axle (the big thing in the middle, I don't know the name). And a piece of metal punched its way through that same casing, causing it to leak. Obviously it isn't drive able right now... I was wondering if anyone had any insight on what in the hell I did to my poor Jeep.

Yep, we'll need pictures.

BlueXJ
07-20-2013, 07:15 PM
May have broken a tooth on the gear, may have been low on lubricant.

oderdene
07-20-2013, 08:25 PM

And a piece of metal punched its way through that same casing, causing it to leak...

so, now middle big thing have a hole and leaking?

it is a result of abuse of previous owner and some of your gears inside differential broken already.

sorry for broken gears, but yes, it is a chance to upgrade.

JeepFreak
07-21-2013, 10:47 PM
Sounds like you punched your R.E. diff. Most likely cause was low fluid which destroyed the gears then you just happened to drive it to its limit which ended very badly. You're looking at a somewhat costly repair depending on what you need to repair. A salvage differential can cost at least $200 whereas labor is $150 or more for 2 hours (not per hour). You're looking at at least $350-500. But then again you may be able to find it cheaper but just remember YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR! If you end up using a salvage diff you need to make sure it was a low mileage one or else you may just be paying to replace a messed up one with a slightly less messed up one. For example, those gears might work but they may only last a few months or a year. Best bet if possible is to have it replaced with a new one. If not, low mileage. Good luck.

sexjay
07-23-2013, 11:02 AM
it has a locker? it may have then when it got back in gear it wanted to lock up real quick and the pin to lock the gear just crumbled and blew up. ive seen it happen to some people but never heard of something with the tranny and then a diff leak. that's crazy man

prcjeep
07-23-2013, 01:09 PM

I'm not sure of the specifics of your Jeep(year, trim, axles) but it sounds to me like your re-end grenade-ed... I think you probably have a Dana 35 rear axle and they are more susceptible to breaking if not very well maintained. I would say DO NOT attempt to drive it. You could cause damage to your transfer-case/driveshafts/transmission. If you need to push or roll it around, remove the rear drive shaft.

Ive had something similar happen on a YJ(wrangler) with a Dana 35 rear axle. something bound up in the driveline(a nuetral drop could do it) and the carrier/gears in the rear axle differential(the round thing in the middle) broke apart and poked holes through the cover on the back making it leak.... The fact that it was leaking there mean nothing as the differential gears; ring gear, pinion gear, and spider gears were all trashed.

McChoka
08-18-2013, 04:37 PM
Y'all have got to see this... I replaced the rear axle (because it was gonna cost 800 to rebuild) and just for poops and giggles i took a look inside of the old one, needless to say i started laughing. I'll upload some pictures of it when i snap some.

McChoka
08-18-2013, 04:48 PM
So this is what's left of the old rear end... Poor thing never stood a chance.

XJ Wheeler
08-18-2013, 05:11 PM
Ouch!!!

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

4.3LXJ
08-18-2013, 05:18 PM
X2 on that

JeepFreak
08-18-2013, 05:31 PM
Holy Mary Mother of God lol

sexjay
08-18-2013, 08:29 PM
holy crap!! that's insane that you could still drive on that!!

Dredwolf
08-18-2013, 08:34 PM

Wonder if the lunchbox locker survived?

xj4life2
08-18-2013, 08:38 PM
Looks like whatever the trans did when it jumped in and out , locked up the pinion and sheared the gears on the ring. From the looks of it that rear end could be rebuilt as a spae or to recoup some of the money you put out on the new one. You did a nice job on it , but being in the business I have seen worse. As for the locker it looks ok but you would have to take it apart and check it.

McChoka
08-18-2013, 08:55 PM
I'm not to worried about the locker. It was just icing on the cake. The new axle works phenomenally so its all good.

cantab27
08-18-2013, 08:59 PM

still good for another 50000 miles ..just thicker oils .....;):D

Dredwolf
08-18-2013, 09:02 PM
I'm not to worried about the locker. It was just icing on the cake. The new axle works phenomenally so its all good.

Did you go with another Dana 35 or upgrade to an 8.25?

McChoka
08-18-2013, 09:07 PM
Yeah I just went with another Dana 35.

Carves
08-18-2013, 10:36 PM
These dana Diffs ... really oughta have a drainplug, with little magnet in 'em .. ;)

:D:D

McChoka
08-19-2013, 12:14 AM
Anyone have any idea how much I could sell the locker for? Ain't gonna do me any good, seeing as I wont ever get around to rebuilding the old rear end.

4.3LXJ
08-19-2013, 10:49 AM
That looks like an Aussie Locker. They retail on the cheapest site for about $225 delivered