PDA

View Full Version : 1987 2.5 L overheating

SeniorGustas
07-18-2013, 10:08 AM
My 1987 2.5L cherokee keeps over heating this first happened the other day on my way to the bank near my house about 5 miles aways so i drove maybe a block down the road to an auto parts place checked to see if i was low on oil and coolant. I was low on both so i purchased some of each and then it was okay now two days later i was headed home from a resturant and the same problem occured only this time is till had full coolant and wasnt low on oil my coolant was steaming and bubling so i had lost some through my cap but my overflow wasnt full all the way. it was maybe about 1/4 full. any one have an idea on how to fix this? my assumption is the radiator is going bad because it is the stock one from 1987 but i could be mistaken. Thanks guys

msmoorenburg
07-18-2013, 10:14 AM
I would put a new tstat in first

SeniorGustas
07-18-2013, 10:19 AM
i am also doubtful that is my water pump because i had replaced that not that long ago. i do get a high pitched squeel when starting my jeep sometimes but it sounds more like my belt and doesnt last longer than 5 seconds

4.3LXJ
07-18-2013, 11:36 AM
I think Matt is right. The intermittent nature suggest it might be the thermostat

SeniorGustas
07-18-2013, 01:52 PM
i will check on that tonight! my dad gave me the same advice and said its rather cheap and simple to do! you guys awesome with quick helpful replies! Thanks!!

Cheromaniac
07-19-2013, 09:28 AM
My 1987 2.5L cherokee keeps over heating this first happened the other day on my way to the bank near my house about 5 miles aways so i drove maybe a block down the road to an auto parts place checked to see if i was low on oil and coolant. I was low on both so i purchased some of each and then it was okay now two days later i was headed home from a resturant and the same problem occured only this time is till had full coolant and wasnt low on oil my coolant was steaming and bubling so i had lost some through my cap but my overflow wasnt full all the way. it was maybe about 1/4 full. any one have an idea on how to fix this? my assumption is the radiator is going bad because it is the stock one from 1987 but i could be mistaken. Thanks guys

It's a miracle that your original radiator has lasted 26 years so I can almost guarantee that most of the radiator core will be clogged up with limescale and rust. Definitely time to replace it before you end up with a blown cylinder head gasket. With a new radiator cap, thermostat, new hoses, and a good flush of the engine's coolant passages with a garden hose inserted through the front of the cylinder head (thermostat housing removed), you should say goodbye to your overheating issues.

SeniorGustas
07-19-2013, 12:52 PM
RIP wallet. I hate spending money on things i have to do rather than things i want to do. GRR know any good videos of the flush your talking about never done it.

Brasscatz
07-20-2013, 12:30 PM
http://youtu.be/TlNJDy_bZDE

And this is for a Toyota, but still basically the same. There's a few videos in the play list that will help ya.

How to Flush Coolant : Tools for Flushing a Coolant System - YouTube

SeniorGustas
07-22-2013, 12:46 PM
thermostat was super easy to replace and i believe it fixed my probably drove about 45 miles in one trip last night and she wasnt smoking. It did smell like coolant a little but probably because im horrible at pouring fluids. i even used a funnel. ahah thanks guys! wish i would have seen the videos earlier! thanks for posting them.

Mudderoy
07-23-2013, 03:09 PM
thermostat was super easy to replace and i believe it fixed my probably drove about 45 miles in one trip last night and she wasnt smoking. It did smell like coolant a little but probably because im horrible at pouring fluids. i even used a funnel. ahah thanks guys! wish i would have seen the videos earlier! thanks for posting them.

If you keep smelling that you'll need to look around for leaks.

SeniorGustas
07-23-2013, 05:51 PM
Yup.. got a leak in one of my hoses now. It never ends!!! But to be honest im having alot of fun driving my dad toyota around! makes my car feel like theres almost now power in it :(