PDA

View Full Version : New Jeep Owner 1997 XJ

Newbee 97 XJ
07-17-2013, 04:03 PM
Excited to own a XJ, been wanting one for years and just never worked out. Finally found one and got it for a great price! Now I have to learn as much as possible about this thing and thought that this would be the best place to do that. Calling on all you XJ enthusiast out there for any and all information that would be helpful as a new XJ owner :)

Here are my plans for the jeep:
- I want it to float over the sand and never have to worry about getting stuck, not to worried about mountain or rock climbing.
- I have 33's that I picked up for a good deal and would like to get them on with as little lift as possible, my wife is 5' tall and dont want her to have to use a ladder to get in the jeep.
- This jeep is all stock with 84K on it, I beleive that it is the Up Country model and seems to sit higher than other stock jeeps.

Any information or direction to existing threads are appreciated! Thank you and I look forward to future converstations!

Kalani

prerunner1982
07-17-2013, 04:10 PM
Welcome to XJTalk.

Good looking clean rig....too clean to cut the fenders? Probably about the only way to get those tires to fit and keep the lift to a minimum. Will likely need 5"+ of lift to clear those, however with 3.5" lift and some minor trimming and bump stopping (less flex) you may be able to get away with it.

XJ Wheeler
07-17-2013, 04:48 PM
Hey Kalani, welcome to xjtalk. You thought right when choosing this site to learn from. Many members here have an unlimited wealth of knowledge and are happy to share some. ;) We'll try to help ya out and get your jeep built up to suit you vision and desires. Thanks for joining up!

That is a sweet find of a XJ! I love to see them with low miles. Is sand the main type of terrain you'll be traversing? Any questions feel free to ask away...

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

Newbee 97 XJ
07-17-2013, 05:26 PM
thanks for the info, this jeep will almost always be in the sand. Go to the beach alot and like to get out on the sand away from the crowds whenever possible. Maybe some wheeling, but not much. Thinking about getting a trail rig later for wheeling and rambling. This XJ is more for family adventures and beach days!

4.3LXJ
07-17-2013, 05:52 PM
Where are you at Kalani? Someplace tropical?

prcjeep
07-17-2013, 07:37 PM
Looks like your neighbor has an XJ too! Get him to join up!
http://www.xjtalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3028&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1374094912

Great rig to start with!! Wish i could transport myself and rig to Hawaii for some wheelin and to enjoy the island... Maybe someday

abebehrmann
07-17-2013, 09:30 PM
Great find! I'm more than a little jealous of where you live and your nice looking xj!

Mudderoy
07-18-2013, 12:26 AM
Excited to own a XJ, been wanting one for years and just never worked out. Finally found one and got it for a great price! Now I have to learn as much as possible about this thing and thought that this would be the best place to do that. Calling on all you XJ enthusiast out there for any and all information that would be helpful as a new XJ owner :)

Here are my plans for the jeep:
- I want it to float over the sand and never have to worry about getting stuck, not to worried about mountain or rock climbing.
- I have 33's that I picked up for a good deal and would like to get them on with as little lift as possible, my wife is 5' tall and dont want her to have to use a ladder to get in the jeep.
- This jeep is all stock with 84K on it, I beleive that it is the Up Country model and seems to sit higher than other stock jeeps.

Any information or direction to existing threads are appreciated! Thank you and I look forward to future converstations!

Kalani

The UpCountry package has a factory 1" lift, and that would have been when the suspension was new. To fit the 33's under there you'll need a 4.5" lift, and you'll need to do some trimming to be able to turn left and right. At least that's based on my 4.5" RC lift and 32's then to 33's after installing the Bushwacker flares.

Floating on the sand will be determined by tire width. Both the actual width of the tire and the width of the wheel that they are mounted on. I have 33x12.5x15 mounted on 10x15 wheels with 3.75" backspacing.

Newbee 97 XJ
07-19-2013, 03:32 AM
Hawaii on the west side of Oahu

Newbee 97 XJ
07-19-2013, 03:38 AM
To fit the 33's under there you'll need a 4.5" lift, and you'll need to do some trimming to be able to turn left and right. At least that's based on my 4.5" RC lift and 32's then to 33's after installing the Bushwacker flares.

Floating on the sand will be determined by tire width. Both the actual width of the tire and the width of the wheel that they are mounted on. I have 33x12.5x15 mounted on 10x15 wheels with 3.75" backspacing.

Thanks for the info, was thinking about the 4.5" and the flat flares from bushwacker. Can I run a shortarm with a 4.5" or will i have to go with a longarm? any other modifications i will need to consider with a 4.5" lift?

Mudderoy
07-19-2013, 06:38 AM
Thanks for the info, was thinking about the 4.5" and the flat flares from bushwacker. Can I run a shortarm with a 4.5" or will i have to go with a longarm? any other modifications i will need to consider with a 4.5" lift?

It's an opinion thing. People are running 6.5" with short arms, some will tell you that long arms are necessary.

4.3LXJ
07-19-2013, 10:12 AM
Short arm will be fine at that height

TimmyTXJ
07-19-2013, 10:25 AM
Kalani, great looking XJ you've got there! For your purpose, I wouldn't think an long arm upgrade is necessary. I would start looking at that only if you're going to be driving where you need a lot of articulation in the axles. At 4.5" of lift you'll probably need to look at getting a slip yoke eleminator kit as well. The larger driveline angle that comes from the 4.5" lift could cause vibrations with the stock driveshaft.

Good luck with it and keep the pictures coming!

cpttuna
07-19-2013, 11:34 AM
I'm into keeping good maintenance records. If good records did not come with the XJ,I would change or have changed all the fluids so you know where you are. A good tune-up and complete check of the cooling system should be done.

nickyg
07-19-2013, 01:15 PM
That first picture looks like it's out of a sales pamphlet. Way too pretty to cut up.
I have a soft spot for old showroom condition cars.

Newbee 97 XJ
07-19-2013, 04:17 PM
That first picture looks like it's out of a sales pamphlet. Way too pretty to cut up.
I have a soft spot for old showroom condition cars.

I know what you mean, been looking for an XJ and looked at alot of them. They often look good in pics then when you get there its a different story so when I went to look at this one i was sceptical. When I pulled up to it I was sold, listed for $2,300, and to top it off it was the original owner... still had the original lien on the title (signed off of course) from when they bought it new. Bought it for his wife and never left the pavement, 84k miles and always maintained at the dealership. I was lucky to get this jeep, he posted it for a day and had 15 ppl wanting it, i was just lucky enough to be the first to call and most persisitant... lets just say i paid what he was asking.

It has a few small rust spots, can't see them cause they are under the tailgate. Already removed the rust, patched and painted areas can't even tell.

Newbee 97 XJ
07-19-2013, 04:21 PM
At 4.5" of lift you'll probably need to look at getting a slip yoke eleminator kit as well. The larger driveline angle that comes from the 4.5" lift could cause vibrations with the stock driveshaft.

I have been told i will need a slip yoke eleminator kit, nice to hear someone else confirm that info other than the sales rep.

Also, have been told I need a CV style drive shaft ???

XJ Wheeler
07-19-2013, 10:38 PM
You MAY need the SYE and driveshaft. I'm running a 4.5" lift (which measures 5" front and 5.5" rear) and am fine with a t-case drop and 6° shims under the rear springs. Every jeep is different, so it may be necessary or not. But having a SYE isn't a bad thing if you just want to get it to make sure you'll be fine and have the funds of course.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

Mudderoy
07-20-2013, 03:46 PM
I have been told i will need a slip yoke eleminator kit, nice to hear someone else confirm that info other than the sales rep.

Also, have been told I need a CV style drive shaft ???

The 4.5" Rough Country I purchased came with a 1" transfer case drop. This was good enough to take care of vibrations, however a SYE is a better idea, just expensive compared to the 1" drop.

Newbee 97 XJ
07-30-2013, 08:36 PM
thanks everyone for the info i feel much more confident with all the feedback and suggestions. 4 wheel parts in Hawaii is having thier annual sale in august and I'm aiming for a 4.5" with SYE and driveshaft, sticking with the short arm. hopefully posting new pics soon \m/